Advice welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saviour_of_sock

Hello Im a 19 year student and weigh 16 stone. My heigth is approx 6foot3 and Im looking to get down to 12 stone. I already started doing exercise which is:20 minute jog, 50 sit ups and 20 press ups. I have been doing this routine four days a week and have not lost any weight which seems confusing to me. I want to lose this weight for uni and my summer holidays but also I would like to get my fitness high enough to go play for a local rugby team. My eating habits arnt brilliant but I do try to eat as less fat as possible and fruit, however I have a weakness for dairy products. To be honest Id rather just lose this weight by doing extra exercise then cutting on food because I find it easy just to mantain my weight at the same level. So any advice will be appreciated on any good exercise that will lose more weight then now.
Regards Adam.

HI Adam,

welcome to the forum.
You don't necessarily lose weight when you start exercising. I know this sounds bad know, but it really isn't. When starting an exercise program your body start building muscle. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat, so it is very well possible that you have been transforming fat into muscle, which didn't give you weightloss, but you are still getting healthier and more fit. If you want to lose weight at the same time, you have to ensure that your caloric intake is less than what you body uses during the day.

... i think that you need to increase your cardio a bit too (intensity and duration). You don't get a lot of results with only 20 minutes/day ... you will get some, but barely noticeable. Natalie is right, you can't judge your results by the scale if you are doing any kind of weight training (which i would always do because muscle will help you burn more fat). You either have to go by body fat % or a mirror.

Welcome Adam,

I agree with the two above. You will have to do more, if you want to see results and building muscle might not give you weightloss on the scale, but it will improve your overall health and like AllCdnBoy says, muscle will help you burn fat, so you will be able to eat more while still not gaining weight. I suggest you use the mirror and the fit of your clothes to 'record' your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back