Advice for a newbie who struggles to lift pretty much anything?

Miko134

I'm female, 5ft nothing, weigh about 8 stone, and basically I'm annoyingly weak and hate it.
After watching numerous fitness videos and failing to see them through due to my insane lack of stamina, I'm at a loss. I've got 5kg dumbbells which I struggle to lift even once. Also, I'm finding so many Youtube fitness tutorials about body building contradict themselves. Some say a certain exercise is great for abs, others say that one doesn't work for abs, some say one is good for biceps, another says that one is useless etc, so I'm completely conflicted on which ones are worthwhile to attempt.

I don't want amazing muscles, some definition would be nice, but mostly I just want to be a bit stronger and fitter.

Could anyone give me a simple routine to follow which would help to achieve this? I've started eating tuna and having protein powder before and after attempting workouts, but after 4 weeks nothing seems to be working.

Thank you!

Hey miko134,I understand where you're coming from but you see in order to be able to improve on that as you want you'd have to start from some basic fitness regimen, you don't just wakeup one morning and want to start lifting weight you first need to start from some basic fitness exercise okay.
You build your endurance and strength and you move to the next.
You can check here trimhealth.wordpress.com for tips and recommendations, do ensure you read up.

Hey miko134,I understand where you're coming from but you see in order to be able to improve on that as you want you'd have to start from some basic fitness regimen, you don't just wakeup one morning and want to start lifting weight you first need to start from some basic fitness exercise okay.
You build your endurance and strength and you move to the next.
You can check here trimhealth.wordpress.com for tips and recommendations, do ensure you read up.

This is really helpful thank you!

Johnnymelo is so right... you have to lay some ground work first. Have you tried functional movement exercises to build balance and stamina yet? Maybe start off with those and then move on to the dumb bells. If you want, I can suggest some exercises for you to help you lay the ground work!

Thank you very much that would be great! I already walk quite a lot as I commute to work which is 40 mins there and back. This week I've been doing lunges, squats, and planking (which I'm awful at) would be happy to try any others you could recommend :)

Back