Adventures in Maintenance!

"Extreme vigilance"
"Make your goals small & absolutely achievable."
"Never give up."
There is so much to take from this, Amy. Thank you.

I guess it’s time for a new post here! And I’m sorry to say that it’s news which probably won’t rejoice any hearts here – still, better to know what it is we’re dealing with - so here goes:

The bad news:
“studies of those successful at sustained weight loss indicate that the maintenance of a reduced degree of body fatness will probably require a lifetime of meticulous attention to energy intake and expenditure.

Why?
Because....
“Maintenance of a ⩾10% reduction in body weight in lean or obese individuals is accompanied by an ∼20–25% decline in 24-h energy expenditure. This decrease in energy for weight maintenance is 10–15% below what is predicted solely on the basis of alterations in fat and lean mass. Thus, a formerly obese individual will require ∼300–400 kcal per day less to maintain the same body weight and physical activity level as a never-obese individual of the same body weight and composition."
- from “Adaptive thermogenesis in humans”, Rosenbaum and Leibel, in International Journal of Obesity, October 2010, 34 (01) s47-S55. accessed at: Adaptive thermogenesis in humans

Translation
having been overweight/obese for a period of time re-sets how much calories your body “thinks” it needs to keep functioning, so that when you lose weight (like, a serious amount, at least 10% of your starting weight) your body “thinks” it needs that much less to live on - you will simply not be able to eat as much as always-thin people without regaining weight.

To which, I have to admit, my reaction is rats! :mad: and a strong temptation to stamp my feet and growl a lot. I'd love to get to an ideal weight, and then be able to eat as freely as everybody else I know.
But... I've just plain missed the boat on that. (sigh!) And so it goes. Probably for the rest of my life (all our lives, other ex-obesers!) I'll/we’ll need to eat lightly – and that’s just the way it is! And the benefits and fun of being healthy so much outweight the tiny pleasure of over-indulging in icecream (or whatever) that I can live with that! :)

(Sorry for a mild downer of a post!)

Hey Amy, good to see someone posting here again. One day I am hoping to be a member, and that day seems to be getting a little closer. Have to agree with the "Rats" thing...
I'd love to get to an ideal weight, and then be able to eat as freely as everybody else I know.
Yeah, me too, in fact I have tried that before, you know where it has gotten me. I am just trying to accept that if I am to have any hope of maintaining I will probably have to be on a diet for the rest of my life, that "meticulous attention to energy intake and expenditure " thing you mentioned. Not accepting that would be kind of like not accepting that I'll never be 6 ft tall, rich or famous, its just the way it is.

Keep on posting here, I promise to keep on reading.

Just remembered this thread, and for me it is now more relevant. May try to post here from time to time.

LaMa, for you:

Maintenance: the final plateau. These are the adventures of people who need to work at keeping the weight off, a strange new experience. To seek out new ways of eating and living. To boldly go where this man has not gone before!

Just thought of that line "Maintenance: the final plateau", seems like a good one. For me anyway.

Maintenance: the final plateau. These are the adventures of people who need to work at keeping the weight off, a strange new experience. To seek out new ways of eating and living. To boldly go where this man has not gone before!
:rotflmao: That´s bloody brilliant, thank you!

Back