A Working Mom's Wakeup Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverwerock

Back when I was single and childless, I got into a heated discussion with my future brother-in-law (also single and childless) in a cab on the way home from a bar one night. I don’t remember how we got into it, but we were discussing whether mothers should work or stay home to raise their children.

With the self-righteous conviction that only clueless 20-somethings can have, we were both convinced that we were completely right. My BIL was firmly in the SAHM camp; I was staunchly in favor of working moms.

Boy, was it a cruel wakeup call when I found out the issue wasn’t that black-and-white. I suppose I could’ve looked around the global media company where I was working then and noticed not a single person I knew was a mother of young kids.

There was a pregnant woman (what ever happened to her?) and there was one with school-age kids who lasted less than a year. But that’s it. In fact, the 3 most senior women in my department were all childless.

Marriage and kids weren’t even on my radar at that point, so I didn’t give it much thought. Though I do remember thinking that the on-site daycare they bragged about in those “best places to work†articles was kind of a joke. I’d heard ours was pricey and had a year-long waiting list.

That job was a bad fit for me for many reasons, not least of which was that while I ostensibly was hired for my editorial experience, I wrote almost nothing. Just a lot of e-mails and memos. I was essentially a highly-paid meeting attendee.

So when I got married and had a baby, I wasn’t all gung-ho to be that corporate working mom I’d argued so strenuously for in my 20’s. I’d found a nice little niche as a freelance writer and I got to spend time with my baby. And then I encountered another round of wakeup calls. Like how hard it was to work around a baby’s schedule and drum up assignments I could do from home. Also hard? Finding part-time affordable childcare.

Even now, years later, when I’ve finally found some semblance of balance, I am shocked at:

alimentos para diabeticos

a) how many people think I don’t “really†work because I’m self-employed, don’t go to an office, and have irregular hours;

b) ask when I plan to get a “real job†(as if I could just waltz out and command a lucrative, flexible staff position in my field whenever I felt like it);

c) how many people still think staying home with your children full-time or working outside the home full-time are the only 2 options for moms.

It's amazing how black-and-white our culture is about the topic of stay at home moms versus working moms and how difficult people have made it to work part-time and have children. I'm really suprised there aren't many "job-sharing" opportunities out there for women with children to split job tasks or split the work-week between them. It just makes sense... it's not like having babies is a new thing, so why are these things so difficult? You'd think our culture would have it somewhat figured out by now...

Originally Posted by foreverwerock

b) ask when I plan to get a “real job†(as if I could just waltz out and command a lucrative, flexible staff position in my field whenever I felt like it);

I have a 'real job' and I tell you what I'd give anything to be a stay at home mom. But I'm divorced so that's not an option for me. It's not so much that I dont have a lot of time on my hands (I dont), its that I really just want to spend more time with my kids. I know a person can balance both, but I'm kind of in the camp that you should stick to one or the other. But like I said, I'd never discourage someone to not balance a career and children.

I think it is of course up to each individual family (or mother) to decide for themselves. The debate is as fierce now as it always was. There was that film recently with SJP, was it called 'How does she do it?' or something? About having a high flying career and looking after kids. Although you want to say 'we can have it all' in reality it is bloomin' hard for that to be the case. I think the problem comes from the fact that women are still the principle child rearers. 'Problem' when it comes to the debate, I mean. As in, when someone says 'a mother can't be a full time mother and have a high flying career' it riles people up because they construe it as an attack on women. What should be said is that 'no one can be a full time parent and have a high flying career.' That, I sadly think is true. I personally find myself just knackered after each day, as in physically unable to do another chore at the end of the day, let alone office work. Anytime I do have spare I use to relax, just for a moment so I can refuel for the next onslaught! I have tried to start prioritising sleep, and to this end made the invesment of two decent mattresses from [LINK REMOVED] I think people don't realise how much their bodies (and indeed their spirits!) are suffering from something as simple a sleep deprivation. It the most affective form of torture - don't forget that! Work, keeping house, playtime, losing weight ... get some good sleep and it will all be easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is one of the most difficult things I have dealt with, with my first baby (now 5). I had the hardest time finding a Job that could understand that I needed to have that balance but my priority was always my child, not my job. It is extremely sad that the workforce doesn't completely support parents in the workforce. I now had my 2nd baby in October/2013 and have made the choice that I will NOT go back to work. I am now a SAHM and will keep it that way. I am now working from home (running my own mlm business), with a company that I LOVE! I now have the freedom to work around my children's schedule and not the other way around. It was a choice and frankly, not a difficult one. I have the support from my husband as well as the company. Now don't get me wrong, MLM is not for everyone but the money is there, the flexibility is there and for that simply reason, it is for me. I always thought, mothers should go to work (if they wanted of course) but now my eyes are wide open to how difficult it is to work and be away from your children the entire day. I want to see my children grow, not a company. I want be there when they are sick, not get the call from work. I salute all of you strong mothers who do go to work. Although being a SAHM is difficult, I think going to work is more difficult. Bless you all :)

I've taken a year off of work after my baby was born. I've taken that time to cultivate some online work; blogging, writing website content, proofreading other peoples books, etc. There are dozens of ways to make money online, and all of it can be done around your baby's schedule (as long as sleep isn't terribly important to you. I usually get 5-6 hours a night, but I'm OK with that few)

I was always firmly in the sahm mum camp, however I''m struggling to afford even part time. We'd be better off if we were both slightly less well paid but because we're both marginally above minimum wage (not much and I have a degree :S ) we don't get much help. I'm going to be earning pretty much what I get for maternity pay with just a small amount on top of that in tax credits :( I wouldn't get help if I didn't work and I couldn't afford childcare if I worked full time so I'm pretty much stuck working part time and struggling along moneywise. I'm going to look for a better job but not sure how much more i'll get paid for the type of work I do :S

Hi!

Thanks for sharing! It's not black and white at all... a long time ago before I got pregnant, I thought "what's the big deal, I'll just get a babysitter", but in reality it's not that simple.

I've always been alone with my son. When he was very small I was studying. Later I worked and he needed to stay at daycare until 4 pm - or later sometimes.

When he started school I realized that it would be much better for him to have someone to come home to when the school day was over. So I started working part time.

Now he is 12 and last year I again tried to work full time and did that for a whole year. It was so stressful. I could not wait for the contract to end so I could start being at home much more. Now I work from home, so it fits our situation perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back