A painful corn making me fat

Hey all

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right section but here goes:

I've had a corn for a while just under my right great toe. I used to be in decent shape (not built...but not obese either!) but now I've become more or less sedentary because of the pain. My sole cardio contributions before I got this corn used to be 4km walks (on purpose) everyday.

Is there anything I can do to keep up on the cardio before I can get this corn taken care of? (surgery in about 3 months time, and I cant really cycle or swim)

Many thanks

Simple but likely useless question.
Is there anything you can use to stop this hurting as you walk, corn plasters etc?

Simple but likely useless question.
Is there anything you can use to stop this hurting as you walk, corn plasters etc?

I tried. Used a medicated corn cap first. Ended up turning the skin around the corn to mush while leaving the corn intact (a sad irony!). After that, I've been using un-medicated corn plasters that let me get around but just barely.

Next question. Do you have access to a gymnasium with aerobic equipment?
The obvious cross trainers, hand bikes etc. come to mind as an alternative to walking. They aren't amazingly interesting compared to walking outdoors but worth a thought in the short term.

Next question. Do you have access to a gymnasium with aerobic equipment?
The obvious cross trainers, hand bikes etc.

There is a gym nearby but their only cardio offering is a huge row of treadmills and a few cross trainers. I've never actually been on the cross trainer...it seemed to me that one has to push down with the foot as well..is that the case? (Sorry really green here)

Your feet don't really push down if the trainers are decent quality, you move in an ellipse shape () turned 90 degrees.
Having the tension set low enough means this becomes a smooth easy movement. Your feet are in constant contact and unmoving from one spot so hopefully you would be able to find a comfortable position and use one.
Most gyms are desperate for members so will likely let you try one before joining up to get a possible member.

Any aerobic activity will work as a replacement, just a case of finding a painless one. Could be rowing, hand bike, etc. The trick will be keeping pressure off that area of your foot, will be a challenge.
When you are at the gym they may be able to suggest some things there.
Obviously if you are in a gym you may be able to do some machine based weight circuits, dependant on what they have there. If this is over a long duration without rest it is still good cardio work, and calorie burner.
A lot of it will also come down to what you enjoy. Sitting on a cross trainer for ages may bore you to tears, or you may love it. Alternatively the shuffling from one machine to another may be great for you due to variety or be a pain due to constantly having to set up and move around.

Fair enough :) I'll pay them a visit over the weekend and see what they can do for me. Thanks again for the advice :)

Corns can be treated with many types of medicated products to chemically pare down the thickened, dead skin.Its better first deal with corns otherwise it will be worse..Take care..

Back