A few questions about cycling and fitness in general

Hello there.

I'm quite new here. Actually, I'm quite new to the fitness world.

Let me start off by telling a bit about myself. I'm 16, I'm 189 cm and I weigh 78 kg.
There's this girl I like and I'd like to impress her by getting thinner and more slim. It's not that I'm overweight, I'm just not trained. I've played basketball for a few months but I quit due to lack of activity. I spend a lot of time sitting down, but I intend to change that. Let me be clear though: I don't want extreme muscles, I want to be slim with a little bit of six pack. (If that even makes sense)

I could put it another way: I don't want top-tuned muscles, but rather just nice looking muscles. I've heard that I need to do cardio training combined with some regular training like doing sit-ups and doing the plank in order to lose weight and gain muscles. Is this true? Also, I've been told not to do an exercise if it's too easy. I won't benefit from it apparently.

I don't know anything diet related, but I'd like to keep eating what I eat as it's healthy enough. I try very hard not to eat chips. That's basically the only thing I eat that's not healthy. Oh, and a lot of sausages. I know I shouldn't.

Anyway, I'm thinking of cycling a specific route that will probably take me 1 hour or so. Would this be fine? How will I include the normal training in this? Should I even include normal training or should I just take one thing at a time? (E.g. first cycling then doing normal training the next day) If this cycling thing gets too easy, would it be okay to take it up a notch with the pedal "strength" (Sorry for my English) and take another, longer, route?

I really do apologize for all these questions, I just want to make sure that I train properly. I really want to impress this girl.

Sorry if I missed anything and sorry if the text is kind of "jumbled". Ugh, I feel like I'm asking too many questions.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers.

NOTE: I don't smoke cigarettes or cigars. I do smoke marijuana. If this is going to affect my training then tell me, otherwise don't write anything about it. I don't want any "Don't do drugs" comments. Thanks.

1,578 views and no replies.

Great...

Even playing badminton would do the same effect. One of my friend did this and he has lost around 2-3 pounds in a month. Playing badminton helps your body to burn the stored energy as fuel. It is ab high-intensity aerobic sport that burns more calories in a short time. It specially works on your inner and outer thighs, buttocks and calf muscles. By playing badminton for 30-45 minutes you can burn a significant amount of calories. Playing badminton for a long time will makes you sweat a lot which in turn will help you to burn more calories. Depending on your weight, you can burn as much as 100-200 calories in a 30 minute session.

Hi, Carilious. I'm 55 and quit smoking just about a year ago and started cycling instead. I say this only to let you know that I'm definitely no expert in this field but will give you my take on it.

First, don't do anything for the girl - do it for yourself. Enough said.

Second - I can only give you my experience. I try to ride daily, weather allowing. Most of my rides are 20+ miles and take right around an hour. I rely on fruits, vegetables, low carbs, and very little animal meat to keep me going and I really struggle with eating within 30 minutes after my ride (see my post under Nutrition). But please be cautioned that, while cycling is wonderful, it does inhibit your body from being at it's best. In addition to cycling, I also do yoga daily (rain or shine), and workout in the gym. Cross training is critical.

If you'll notice your body position when riding, you're hunched over into one position for a length of time. This can be really hard on the body over time, and cause muscles to over lengthen and others to shorten. Stretching and strengthening those muscles is critical to overall health and will provide you with the necessary muscle tone to ride more efficiently (and consequently have more fun).

I realize this is not all inclusive but hope this helps.

Back