Weight-Loss 80% diet, 20% exercise

Weight-Loss

myleanbaby

Hi all! Since coming back to the weight loss community I have seen a lot of people/articles/etc using the phrasing/guidelines of Weight Loss is 80% Diet, 20% Exercise... What do you think? Does your experience reflect this?

b10705ddf9ef1ca9ac36a9b22ba842be.jpg

I think a lot of people like to oversimplify things by coming up with these sayings. Lol. I think the point is that to lose weight, you can create more of a caloric deficit through your diet that with exercise. It takes a lot more work to burn enough calories through exercise to make a dent in your caloric deficit for the day.

Last edited:
I totally agree! The answer to weight loss lies in the kitchen, not the gym. Don;t get me wrong, exercising is a good way to speed up the weight loss process to a certain extend.

Also, exercising makes you more consious of your body. An increased consious leads to better decicion making when it comes to food. Your mindset shifts which helps with losing extra weight etc.

But if you don't change your diet then no amount of exercise will structurally lead to weight loss.

I am curious if this saying is true too. Is there any scientific evidence to back up this claim that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise ?

I am curious if this saying is true too. Is there any scientific evidence to back up this claim that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise ?

No, there is nothing scientific about this at all, I know plenty of people who have lost weight with diet only. Exercise is important for good health but process of weight loss can be achieved without it. It is just a glib saying with nothing to back it up.

No, there is nothing scientific about this at all, I know plenty of people who have lost weight with diet only. Exercise is important for good health but process of weight loss can be achieved without it. It is just a glib saying with nothing to back it up.

Oh i see, ive been trying to lose weight without much success. I read this quote recently and tried to fix my diet and eat less than 1000 calories a day ... is this enough to lose weight ?

I like Flyer's version of this,
100% diet, 20% exercise
Flyer is someone who has lost a lot of weight without a lot of exercise. But I think he does some walking.

Hey Mr. Goat welcome to the forum! Why don't you start a diary on the Weight Loss Diary page (https://weight-loss.fitness.com/forums/weight-loss-diary.9/ ) and tell us more about yourself and your goals. That will get you more advice and support. 1,000 calories a day is not a lot, you should lose weight on that. What are you actually eating? What about you, your age, sex, current weight goals? Things like that will really help people to make suggestions.

I like Flyer's version of this,

Flyer is someone who has lost a lot of weight without a lot of exercise. But I think he does some walking.

Hey Mr. Goat welcome to the forum! Why don't you start a diary on the Weight Loss Diary page (https://weight-loss.fitness.com/forums/weight-loss-diary.9/ ) and tell us more about yourself and your goals. That will get you more advice and support. 1,000 calories a day is not a lot, you should lose weight on that. What are you actually eating? What about you, your age, sex, current weight goals? Things like that will really help people to make suggestions.

I am 35 years old, asian male. Currently I weigh about 89kg (about 196 pounds) and my height is 173cm (about 5 feet 8 inches). Am overweight by about 20kg and need to lose fats.

my basic tenet is that exercise is like the icing on a cake.. i never count on it, but i know it helps not only burning calories, but just getting out, stretching and moving ... can't help but feel it's better than sitting around.

my basic tenet is that exercise is like the icing on a cake.. i never count on it, but i know it helps not only burning calories, but just getting out, stretching and moving ... can't help but feel it's better than sitting around.

I totally agree. The active lifestyle It is good to keep your body healthy, but it shouldn't be the only and the main way to lose weight.
Oh i see, ive been trying to lose weight without much success. I read this quote recently and tried to fix my diet and eat less than 1000 calories a day ... is this enough to lose weight ?

Do you do any workout during the day? Do you have an active job?

I totally agree. The active lifestyle It is good to keep your body healthy, but it shouldn't be the only and the main way to lose weight.

Do you do any workout during the day? Do you have an active job?

Am starting to walk for about 2 hours everyday. Currently, I am not working

I would definitely do more than 1000 kcal a day.
This amount can destroy your body. I mean, if you eat too little in a long period of time, your body depletes reserves of vitamins from the liver and minerals, among others, from bones. After such a process, the body begins self-destruction, i.e. the collection of micronutrients from its own making at the same time your body weak, which ultimately results in illness like osteoporosis and other diseases caused by a weakened immune system.

Try to eat more, but choose healthy, rich in micronutrients food.
Do you know anything about that?

Mr Goat, I think Food C maybe right, 1,000 calories is not a lot. And for a person who walks 2 hours a day you may need more.

I have been on a 1,200 plus or minus calorie a day diet for about 5 months now, I have lost 57 lbs so far. But I am older than you, 67, and had a whole lot more weight to lose than you do. As Food C suggests I have been careful about micronutients and making sure I am eating a balanced diet. I started taking vitamins as well. I post my food every day to my diary and for the first month or so got a lot of feedback from folks on the forum helping me get settled on a good diet. You might try the same.

Best of luck to you!

on a walk to the PO today... and then the walk home still carrying everything i wanted to mail ... having completely forgotten about the holiday... stupid Columbus Day *grumble*, *grumble* ... i had a better thought about my 100%/ 20% answer...

i believe the most important part about intermittent fasting is the fasting part. it takes on order of 14 hours for your body to burn through stored glycogen. most days i go 16 hours (16/8 IF). assuming i do any exercise during my fasting window, it will decrease the time it takes to deplete my body stores and lengthen the time i spend in ketosis... effectively, i've virtually lengthened my day. there's the extra 10-20%.

Back