350ish lb Highschooler looking to lose weight to play football

Status
Not open for further replies.

zackarytyb16

I'm a 17 year old sophomore in highschool and I am looking for some ideas and some recommendations on how to start my weight loss journey. I am 350ish lbs and wanting to better my self for the future and hopefully play sports (football) and fit in better clothes. Any ideas/exercises (I don't have any equipment) to help me on my adventure are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.
-Zack

Hi, Zack & welcome to the forum. What you eat & drink is much more important for weight-loss than exercise.
There are various useful sites online for dietary guidelines. Some of these are-
Australian Guide to Healthy Eating | Eat For Health
Choose MyPlate
The eatwell guide - A revised healthy eating model - British Nutrition Foundation
I don't know what your current diet looks like, but starting out with cutting out soda & junk food would really kick-start your weight-loss. I would start walking every day. I'm sure others will help you out with exercises that you can do without any equipment. Keeping track of what you eat in an app helps you to see how many calories you actually use in a day. I use My Fitness Pal. It gets easier the more you use it.
If you feel like starting a diary, the link to that is https://weight-loss.fitness.com/forums/weight-loss-diary.9/
At 17 you are still growing & have youth on your side. Do this the healthy way & you will set yourself up for life. Good for you making a start. I wish you well! Cheers, Cate.

Hi mate,

Exactly what Cate has already said. Eat lean healthy foods and remove most if not all added sugar (feel free to do this slowly as sugar is after all addictive and you will have cravings/withdrawals if you go cold turkey).

Walking is a great way to start exercising. I used to be very very fit; quite “buff” actually and to quote the simpsons “before the weight of the world crushed my spirit.” And I only ever had a bike and an old school chest expander spring dooflacky I borrowed from my father. Much later on I bought a 25kg dumbbell set and joined a gym but mostly i would walk and jog for my exercise.

Remember eating well, drinking HEAPS of water and exercises that are as close as possible to natural body movements are the best way to get your general fitness up. Lots of stretching, planks, lunges and squats are great for abdominal muscles, legs and glutes but Body fat cannot be targeted despite there being so many products that claim they can reduce your belly fat, butt, thighs etc. it’s all marketing mumbo jumbo.

Hey Zack, welcome to the forum!

First a warning the post just before mine by KevinRedd may be spam, I suggest not clicking on the link. The moderators will figure it out, it if is spam it will be removed. If its not my apologies to Kevin.

Zack, you are wise for your age gaining control of your eating and weight will lead to a much healthier happier life. I was over weight in high school also, and I did some football and wrestling. I really wasn't very good at either, at least in part due to my weight.

Others have already made recommendations and I am sure others will also. My suggestion is that you start a diary on the Weight Loss Diary page https://weight-loss.fitness.com/forums/weight-loss-diary.9/ . You can tell us more about yourself and your goals there, and you can post your progress daily. Tell folks what you are eating, how you are exercising, and how you feel about it.

Anything I can do to help I will. I don't want to see someone else take as long as I did to get their weight and eating under control. You have the chance to do a lot better than I did.

Zack hasn't been back since his initial post & this thread attracts a lot of spam, so am closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back