1993 Nordic Track Pro skier questions

WilliamT7422

Hello everyone,

I just bought a 1993 N-T Pro skier. It's in pretty good shape overall. It's missing the Personal Performance computer, but that's not a big worry at this time. It included the instruction manual, so I gave it a cleanup based on the instructions. It appears to have been used for a period, and then stuck in a closet and neglected since then. It was dusty, but not dirty.

I oiled the front and rear wheel axles and knew *not* to oil the flywheel drive wheels. I also cleaned the flywheel groove and drag strap with 90% isopropyl. I cleaned the wood with furniture polish but knew not to use that on the bottom of the skis. I cleaned the ski bottoms with the isopropyl and it cut right through the black deposits on the ski bottoms. Those deposits weren't very heavy, but were noticeable.

My question has to do with whether or not those drivewheels wear out. I found an Instructable that showed how to take the NT apart and flush out the bearings in the drivewheels with light penetrating oil. The oil gets wiped out and takes the fine metal fragments from the bearings out with it. It then has to evaporate out. I'm hoping that this will take care of the issue.

I haven't used one of these machines in over 30 years, so I don't remember how it felt for one to be working properly. Some of this may stem from the fact that I'm not an expert at the striding motion that one uses when they're using one of these machines, but there seemed to be some slippy or choppy action in how the machine worked when I got it home.

Does anyone out there have any experience with owning and using a pre-1997 Nordic Track skier? I want to like this and want for it to help me, but it needs to be working properly for those things to happen. It's a neat gadget. I remember reading National Geographic and Smithsonian magazines back in junior high and seeing the ads for them. I kinda wanted one then, so having one now seems like a good thing.

Thank you,
-William

Does anyone out there have any experience with owning and using a pre-1997 Nordic Track skier?
Yes, but my experience won't help much. Bought mine new in about 1990, however it never got used enough for me to figure it out or put any wear on it at all. Kind of awkward as I recall, probably more me than the machine. So the only thing I can be sure of is if you don't use it, it won't do you much good...

If you are handy I bet you will be able to make it work. And if not there should be some good walks or hikes around Chattanooga. Beautiful country, I have only passed through a couple of times, but it impressed me.

Last edited:
Yes, but my experience won't help much. Bought mine new in about 1990, however it never got used enough for me to figure it out or put any wear on it at all. Kind of awkward as I recall, probably more me than the machine. So the only thing I can be sure of is if you don't use it, it won't do you much good...

If you are handy I bet you will be able to make it work. And if not there should be some good walks or hikes around Chattanooga. Beautiful country, I have only passed through a couple of times, but it impressed me.

I put it back together today. I may also be getting better at it. But it's not the easiest to get the form correct. I don't regret buying it. I bought a bike trainer at the end of last year, and just don't like it too much. I don't know if it's something with the bike that I use with it, or if it's too different than actual riding, or that I thought it would be more like using a stationary bike. I just know it's not right and I'm not using it. I should be able to get rid of it pretty easily since it wasn't new when I bought it. I considered buying or renting a Waterrower, but decided that was a financial commitment that I didn't need to be making right now. I still like the idea and may consider it again in the future.

We are very fortunate here in Chattanooga. You're right in that there are many great places to walk, hike, and ride bikes around here. I'm gonna try and get outside this weekend since it's supposed to be in the 70s on Saturday.

I die of boredom on a stationary bike or treadmill but rowing or the elliptical are fine. I guess we're just all different.

Back