1500 per day, no sugar, and nada

actusreus73

I'm 48, 6'4, and my normal weight is right at 200. I like to be closer to 195, but it comes and goes.

In July I injured my back and did literally no exercise until October. Before that I was exercising pretty vigorously 5 days per week, lifting weights on Saturday and resting sunday.

In October I started getting back to exercise, but it's amazing how much stamina I'd lost, and I'm a little nervous to play basketball or do HITT yet because of my back, so it's weights 3 times a week, and about 15 minutes of running at 6.5 on the treadmill. Plus I walk for thirty minutes with my dog everyday.

Anyway, by October 28th I was the heaviest I've been in 10 years, 217. Since then I've cut out all processed sugars (candy, etc), although I'll still eat greek yogurt or reasonably healthy cereal. 1500 calories max each day. In the past, when I was exercising like I did, 2-3 days of 1500 calories and low/no sugar would have brought me back under 200. It's been almost two weeks and I'm not moving at all.

Days are basically this: wake up and exercise, no food until noon. Approximately 3-500 calories for lunch, usually tortilla chips, homemade salsa, and a greek yogurt. Dinner is whatever, but also portioned and never more than 1000 calories. Only water to drink, don't drink or smoke.

Am I just stuck at this new level unless I do something extreme? 500 calories? Back up to much more exercise?

Thanks.

Hi actusreus and welcome to the forum. With your stats I would be very surprised if you didn't lose weight on 1500 kcal/day. Possible issues I can think of off the top of my head:
- Are you weighing under the same circumstances each time? (Time of day, gut and bladder filling, state of dress.)
- Water retention? (Salt, meds, increased muscle fatigue?)
- Time. Sometimes the body just needs a bit to react. Two weeks is not a long time.

Hi, actusreus & another welcome to the forum. LaMaria has suggested a few things & I agree. What do you eat in the evening? Do you eat many vegetables or does your diet comprise mostly starchy carbs? I find I do not do well on the starchy carbs, like rice, bread & pasta & have to cut them down to lose weight( also wine :( ). Stick with it.
What sort of dog do you have?

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm not eating super healthy, other than avoiding sugar, but it's not terrible. There are a lot of carbs, yes, pasta or Mexican etc., but I always pair it with fruit and/or vegetables. Eating 1500 calories a day is mildly uncomfortable, but not bad. But I'll be honest, if I did eat eat only chicken and veggies, like I know I probably should, it would quickly become unbearable.

I've done 1500 off and on for like 7 years now; it's been my go-to when I want to drop back down under 200. Maybe my body's acclimated after all this time? I don't know.

Oh, and I have a Glen of Imaal Terrier. Best dog ever :)

If you want to maintain/rebuild muscle mass at 1500 calories protein is the most important thing to pay attention to. I agree that eating in a way that isn´t satisfying to you (chicken and veg) wouldn´t be sustainable. At 6 ft 4 and 217 lbs the only way your maintenance calories are below 2000 calories is if you have a medical issue or have been bed-bound for a long time . They´re probably closer to 2500 so 1500 kcal/day should have you losing 2 pounds a week or so. I´m still guessing you´re retaining water for some reason and will see a drop on the scale soon.

PS: had to look up Glen of Imaal terriers. What an adorable breed!

I think having lean protein with every meal is important. Maybe even just cutting down on carbs a little & increasing protein would make a difference. Even just for a few days to see what happens.

Glen of Imaal terrier- Glen of Imaal terrier.jpgMy little terrier- Arch Aug 2021.jpg
I love terriers!

Back