14 Year Old Attempting to get 6 pack

Hey guys, I've been attempting to get 6 pack abs, and I'm just wondering if I could get given some kind of exercise regime?
Info about me;
- Avid Basketball player, involved in 3 different teams, one of them being North Wales.
- Slightly skinny, sort of on the way to skinny. Not chubby or anything.
- Sporty.

Anyway, I've been doing 40 situps, 40 press ups and 40 bicup curls a day, What can I add?
I'm totally inclined to start running too.

Also, could I get some help diet wise? I started puberty extremely early too. Just some foods to eat for lunch/breakfast/dinner etc.
Thanks!
-Saul

14 years old, your growth and development will be too erratic and unpredictable to get and keep a 6 pack without delaying your development. you will literally be going through periods where you grow like a weed and burn energy like nothing on earth then others where growth takes a pause and you burn far less. Not accepting this fact will cause problems because when your body sends out a call for more energy for a growth spurt you need to have it there. So much as you will hate seeing this from another old fogey, chill out, keep generally fit and wait until you have stopped growing to worry about a 6.
I have had a full 6 showing even relaxed for a few years, not recent years, and in fairness it wasn't that impressive. 90%+ of the time you can't see them due to clothing and my core is stronger now by far than it was when I focussed purely on aesthetics, and trust me looks can get the interest, but ability keeps it.

14 years old, your growth and development will be too erratic and unpredictable to get and keep a 6 pack without delaying your development. you will literally be going through periods where you grow like a weed and burn energy like nothing on earth then others where growth takes a pause and you burn far less. Not accepting this fact will cause problems because when your body sends out a call for more energy for a growth spurt you need to have it there. So much as you will hate seeing this from another old fogey, chill out, keep generally fit and wait until you have stopped growing to worry about a 6.
I have had a full 6 showing even relaxed for a few years, not recent years, and in fairness it wasn't that impressive. 90%+ of the time you can't see them due to clothing and my core is stronger now by far than it was when I focussed purely on aesthetics, and trust me looks can get the interest, but ability keeps it.

Thank you. But out of interest. To be able to keep at maximum fitness, what would be the.. limit to how much exercise I should do a day?I usually do about 40 situps/pushups/bicup curls a day. Could I steadily build up to 75?

Your body will tell you your limits. Anyone trying to do this online with such limited information needs to be viewed with suspicion.
Until your bones are fully fused don't do anything regularly that you can't do for a set of 10 with something left. Within that basic boundary, the skies the limit.
For real lightweights like I was this was chins push up of virtually any kind including single arm, but lifting objects was hard because I was tiny. If you are larger body weight work may be difficult but lifting may be easier. Find what works for you.
Go for overall core rather than pure abs too where you can, this is more useful and means you look more impressive relaxed. I do things like overhead squats etc for this, but this takes practice to do confidently.

Not even touching on the fact that you're only 14 years old, I will point out the fact that is a terribly unbalanced routine. Doing sit-ups and curls every day is actually hurting you as far as your muscles go. You need to get on a good weight routine while you're still young and get plenty of rest. I absolutely love the old school trainer website. I will swear by the 5x5 all day. Ditch what you're doing now. It's not doing you any good. Get on one of these routines and don't stray from it and you will see results.

I am not at all affiliated with this website, so don't think I'm trying to get views. It's just a great site with great routines.

Last edited:
Not even touching on the fact that you're only 14 years old, I will point out the fact that is a terribly unbalanced routine. Doing sit-ups and curls every day is actually hurting you as far as your muscles go. You need to get on a good weight routine while you're still young and get plenty of rest. I absolutely love the old school trainer website. I will swear by the 5x5 all day. Ditch what you're doing now. It's not doing you any good. Get on one of these routines and don't stray from it and you will see results.

I am not at all affiliated with this website, so don't think I'm trying to get views. It's just a great site with great routines.

Hey, thank you! Could you prehaps link me or find the 5x5 workout? Kinda struggling to find it..
EDIT: Nevermind! Had a moment of clarity. Thank you!

You're welcome. Just don't try to do too much. A lot of guys starting out have that problem. Weight lifting is more about nutrition and recovery than actual lifting. Don't have that "I bench press every day, why isn't my chest getting bigger??" mentality. That's not how it works. Muscles need to recover before they can be broken down and built up again.

Building is hit it hard, hit it fast, leave it alone.
At your age the hit it hard is never 100%, which sucks but not as much as ignoring this. If you do a set of 10 it should be with a weight you could do for 12 etc. to ensure your bones are not over stressed. When they fuse you can be just as insane as the rest of the old folk here, we'll award you the zimmer frame certificate if you want.
Hit it fast is ensuring you don't spend an hour working your biceps with 10 exercises, 3 sets each. Consider what is being used as well, arms are the classic people overtrain. Bench press for chest, shoulder press for shoulders, both have triceps as the prime mover as with every other upper body press, lat pull downs and chins for lats, upright row for trapezius all have biceps as prime mover. Training arms is fine but when you have done 5 exercises on your back with 4 of them having biceps as prime mover you don't need 3 more for biceps, maybe 1.
Leave it alone, the hardest part physcologically. If you feel like you need to go back and hit a body part again to get more benefit the day after or 2 days after while they are still aching or stiff, congratulations you are as mental as the rest of us and making a really common mistake. The body needs to recover before it puts energy into growth, so it's the recovery time that means the god like body shifts from Buddha to Zeus.
The principle looks and is simple, sticking to it isn't. Your mind will tell you to go against it and you will mess it up, everyone does. Age has one advantage, you can look back at your mistakes and learn from them. Then you get to tell others the lessons and watch them ignore you, knowing some lessons people insist on learning for themselves.

Last edited:
Tony's responses always make mine look something like "I AM MAN. I PICK UP HEAVY. EAT MEAT!"

One of the better posters I've ever come across in a forum. Heed his advice.

Your body will tell you your limits. Anyone trying to do this online with such limited information needs to be viewed with suspicion.
Until your bones are fully fused don't do anything regularly that you can't do for a set of 10 with something left. Within that basic boundary, the skies the limit.
For real lightweights like I was this was chins push up of virtually any kind including single arm, but lifting objects was hard because I was tiny. If you are larger body weight work may be difficult but lifting may be easier. Find what works for you.
Go for overall core rather than pure abs too where you can, this is more useful and means you look more impressive relaxed. I do things like overhead squats etc for this, but this takes practice to do confidently.

I totally agree with you. 14 years it too early to get a six packs. I hope you get some helpful suggestion for experienced members.

We do try. I know there is increasing pressure being felt all the time on younger people regarding aesthetics. It is more even gender wise than in my youth when the biggest concern was anorexic women but there were a number wanting to look like He-Man without considering some basic factors, like that it is a cartoon for a start.
The biggest advantage the younger trainers have is the one they tend not to want to hear about, time. They can look forward to being able to build up a repertoire that will mean they can do some awesome training as an adult and start on a lifetime journey of being something truly incredible.
Ironically it is the more seasoned trainers who seem to look at training this way more easily. I have been doing this stuff for decades and set myself realistic and unrealistic targets most years, I virtually never fail the realistic and often do on the unrealistic, no surprise, but the joy is that I know the unrealistic failure one year could be fine the year after and easy the year after that.

The ability to think in terms of long term seems to take time to get your head around. My training is a mix of patient and impatient, long term I am patient and wait for results to come, but during a session I am totally impatient wanting my pathetic form to lift more, run faster etc. It's worked pretty well so far.

You are only 14 years old boy. I don't think you should try 6 pack now. But if you are desperate than pay a visit at . Here you will get what information you need and what you must follow.

Back