1200 calorie diet good or bad for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Bone4523

A little background information. 27 year old Male 6'2" 225lbs

I'm not sure I am going about losing weight correctly as I have never had to do it before. I played sports all my life but have been slowly gaining weight the last several years. A month ago I weighed in at 235lbs and went on a strict diet around 1200 calories a day.

Typical Day:

Meal 1: 3 egg whites, Non fat Cheese, Peppers, Non fat Yogurt

Meal 2: Around 1 can Tuna in water with mustard (Either in a salad or on wheat bread) Use non fat dressing on salad

Cardio: Running for 20-30 minutes at a 9 min mile pace (6x a week)

Meal 3: 1 Boneless Skinless chicken breast (cooked in nonstick pan with no oil), broccoli, green beans

Snacks: 1-2 a day (Apple, nonfat yogurt, orange, or a rare serving of hot fries 135 cal 35 fat)

Drinks: Water only but do drink alcohol 2x a week (Miller 64 or Vodka and Water)

I know the drinking doesn't help but it is not something I am willing to part with at this time. This worked for the first month as I lost 10lbs but now I seem to be staying around the 225 mark. I don't seem to have a problem maintaining this diet, running is tough at times but I get through it. Will this continue to work in MONTH 2? Or should I change something?

Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated THANKS!

Hi T-Bone. Welcome. It's awesome that you are concerned about your health and are taking active measures to get the way you want to be. Having just come from a dietician appointment where I was chastized for eating too few calories and thus losing very valuable lean muscle mass ...I would suggest that you are eating too few calories. I'm female, way shorter than you (5 ft 7) and I have to eat 1742 to LOSE weight. I am very active so if I were only doing 30 minutes of cardio and no other exercise, perhaps I could get away with eating less calories but even at my height and weight, 1200 would be way too few. So, I suggest up your calories. I don't know how much though. You should check WEBMD, they have a calorie tracker and you put your numbers in and it gives you a basic estimate of what your average calorie intake should be. I think there is one on this site as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back