Ben's Fat Loss Diary

I think my Sunday for at morning chest/shoulders/triceps workout is second only to the long run in terms of "workouts I REALLY look forward to doing."
That is so great to have those workouts that are actually something to look forward to. I could imagine its nice to work the upper body when the legs get their work during the running anyways...i hope i will get to that place of looking forward to strengthening!
To have the gym to yourself (or even with just one other dedicated guy) sounds really nice and peaceful.

Good to avoid the possible rabid foxes! lol!
Jumping back to this, 'cause rabid foxes ARE actually a thing here! I typically hear about 3 or 4 per year in the northwest part of Greensboro, where I live. Mentioning it now because one was in a nearby neighborhood just yesterday. Animal Control got to it before it attacked any humans or pets. I run with pepper spray, and I consider my primary threat to be coyotes or rabid foxes. I almost always take it out of my pocket and get it into ready position when I pass certain wooded areas. The only circumstance where I don't take the pepper spray is when I'll be running on the Greenway on a weekend because I know it'll be super-crowded. :p

Leg day at the gym this morning. Added some plyometrics. (Box jumps specifically.) Felt pretty good, then did a 60-minute easy run on the Greenway after dropping the youngest off at school. I'd intended to run 30 minutes one way and 30 back to my start point, but there was a downed tree blocking the Greenway at about 2.4 miles into my run, so I ended up having to run back and forth some at the end to get to 60min.

WEIGHT ROOM: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9590300751
RUN: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9591393764

Scale weight was up slightly: from 185.7 to 185.8 That's still 2.5 pounds down from last Monday, which was the first day of the calorie increase. I based the increase on the actual weight loss for an 8-week period, but included in that were four days where I ate over my goal by a lot. Knowing that those are less likely to show up in the coming weeks with me eating more, no birthdays or other big events that I know of, AND a race on the horizon, I'm thinking I should increase a bit more if I'm down more than 2 pounds from today to next Monday.

Updated 9-week progress pics, shots from the tree down, and one fun box jump pic from this morning....all below.

Attachments

• IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 4
That is so great to have those workouts that are actually something to look forward to. I could imagine its nice to work the upper body when the legs get their work during the running anyways...i hope i will get to that place of looking forward to strengthening!
To have the gym to yourself (or even with just one other dedicated guy) sounds really nice and peaceful.
I really like the gym I attend--at least I like it in dark and early time frames that I'm typically there. It's one of those 24-hour entry ones, and it's relatively small--no more than one of any machine other than the standard cardio ones, and even those are pretty small in number (like 5 treadmills, 4 ellipticals, and 4 bikes, I think.) And of course the arrive-before-5am crowd is really small. There are basically just six guys, four girls, and two trainers that are regular or semi-regular at the time I'm there. I've been going there 5-6 days most weeks since January, and it's to the point that when I pull up in the parking lot, I know who is there because I know the vehicles of the three people who sometimes arrive before I do.😂 I think because it's a small number of the same people, there's an extra level of respect and camaraderie, despite the fact that, well, people who come to the gym that early (myself included) are ALL business, just wanting to get in, get it done, and get to the day. There's no one taking long rests scrolling their phones, very little conversation apart from "how many sets you got left," and every one of us wears headphones pretty much the whole time. But at the same time, I'm pretty sure everyone there at that time is totally comfortable asking someone to spot them if necessary.
Oh wow, that's such a big difference in two months!
Y'know, when I first took the pics I didn't see it that way. I was disappointed. Then I looked at how my face has shrunk during the first 75% of this cut. Nice!

Good nutrition day today. Spot-on with calories once I eat my evening snack. Buoyed primarily by the run of almost six miles and the walk to and from the car and Greenway, I'm at 20.1K steps and haven't done the evening dog walk yet. No complaints here.

My 10K step streak (currently at 527 days) is in some jeopardy this Friday, though. It's not a run day, and I have a 7ish-hour drive to my original home town planned. Were it not for the existing streak, there's basically no way I'd get 10K steps on that day. With the streak, there's at least a chance that I will, but I'll have to be intentional about it. I won't be walking the dog, going out to the garden to grab veggies, or doing much of anything after I leave the gym early in the morning if I'm not focused on getting the steps. (I usually get somewhere in the 12K-14K range on Fridays mainly from those activities combined with my 10-minutes-of-walking-on-the-treadmill gym warmup.)

There will be one "eat whatever they serve me, and I have no idea what that is going to be" meal on Friday night. Everything else while I'm traveling is under my control. (I'm going solo, so no other considerations there.)

7 hours of driving would kill me. How can you sit for that long without hurting all over?!

I run with pepper spray, and I consider my primary threat to be coyotes or rabid foxes.
Yes good idea about keeping pepper spray on hand--I keep thinking i should get some as well...
Your before and after pictures really do show such a big difference!

7 hours of driving would kill me. How can you sit for that long without hurting all over?!
Heh. I'm actually looking forward to it. I've found several fitness podcasts that I really like, so the 14 hours total alone in the car will give me a chance to catch up on some episodes.
Yes good idea about keeping pepper spray on hand--I keep thinking i should get some as well...
Your before and after pictures really do show such a big difference!
I've never had to use it, but having it with me definitely helps me feel more relaxed.

Scale down 1.6 pounds this morning, to 184.2. Another half pound would put me at the lowest I've been since March 3rd.

We had a bit of a weather break this morning. The dew point dropped almost 10 degrees from where it was over the weekend, and my run reflected that. Easily the fastest run I've had at that low of a heart rate (134, stayed in Zones 1 & 2 throughout.) Also a good day at the gym beforehand.

Strength: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9596524012
Run: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9597004358

Very solid day nutritionally so far, and a good and easy-to-execute plan for the rest of the day.

+0.6lbs on the scale this morning to 184.8, after a -1.6 yesterday. Feels more like a "correction" from yesterday than anything else.

Had REALLY good lifting and running workouts this morning. Did push + core supersets at the gym, then ran a bunch of hills, first 8 hill repeats (ran hard up the hill, jogged back down, rinse, repeat) and then ran hard one time each on three tough neighborhood hills. Felt great, and I'm guessing it was my longest non-weekend run (7 miles) since around 2013-2014. We're definitely experiencing fall temperatures in the mornings this week, which makes the times on the runs look really encouraging!

Busy workday today, but with a solid nutrition plan that should fit with my schedule.

LIFTING: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9603280047
RUNNING: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9603801321

Long road trips can be so fun. Good music, open roads...a few breaks at some nice road stops....its been a while since I've had a good road trip!
That sounds like some good hill workouts for sure!

Long road trips can be so fun. Good music, open roads...a few breaks at some nice road stops....its been a while since I've had a good road trip!
That sounds like some good hill workouts for sure!
Yeah..with all the podcasts I've discovered, I'm REALLY looking forward to it. It's a comically easy drive: I-85 runs through Greensboro fairly near my house, and goes basically all the way to Columbus, GA, where I'm headed. My brother's house, where I'm staying, is one turn off the interstate. 😂

Yeah, the hill where I did the repeats is kinda crazy. According to Strava, it's a 10.5% incline: https://www.strava.com/segments/11272838

Nice temperatures this evening and not much going on, so I ended up walking the dog for nearly an hour. Even with all the running I’m doing, it’s rare for me to get over 25K steps on a work day, but between the run and the dog walk, it happened today.

Calorie goal was 2908, ate 2926. Less than 1% variance. That’ll work!

Last edited:
You get incredibly close to goal most of the time!
A lot of that during this defined time frame has to do with the fact that I know I'm going to need to make some calorie adjustments. It's easier to make them if I'm operating from a baseline of actually consuming goal calories rather than having to go back and calculate based on actual consumption. I'm not usually that fastidious about it, but I think I'll continue to be that way after the next significant switch, which will be the first week of October--when this 12-week period ends--at the latest (possibly before then if I keep losing a little more quickly than I'd like.)

Scale weight dropped 1.6 pounds, to 183.1 this morning. That's -2.6 since Monday and -5.1 since I increased my calories less than 2 weeks ago. I'm certain part of that is that my running mileage is also ramping up, so I'd say it's highly likely that the aforementioned calorie tweak will happen and go into effect this coming Monday, 9/19.

Leg day at the gym this morning was really, really good--which was a surprise. After yesterday's hill repeats--where at times I was basically sprinting--while driving to the gym this morning I was considering switching Friday's pull day to today and giving my legs a day to rest. When I got there I decided to see how they felt after the warmup. They seemed ok after warming up, so I decided to stay the course, and ended up moving more overall weight AND hitting a personal best on squats for reps. Go figure. SUPER encouraging.

I did wake up a little later than usual, so I didn't have time to run immediately upon arriving home, so I intend to do that after dropping the younger off at school. In doing a bit more digging into distance training, I was already planning to tweak my running schedule a little. I've been doing a hard run Wednesdays, easy Thursday, off Friday, long run Saturday. There seems to be consensus that it's better to do the long run with the legs a bit tired, so for now I'll split my Thursday easy run and do half on Thursday, half on Friday. I may eventually move all of it to Friday and not run on Thursdays. We'll see. That also "solves" my steps "problem" for tomorrow, and I'm not gonna pretend that didn't influence the decision to go this route starting today. :D So, probably 3.5ish miles easy when I get back today, and 3.5ish tomorrow morning rather than the 6 to 7 easy I would have done today.

Last edited:
Trip went well and event was super fun! Dinner was ribeye, plain baked potato, and green beans. My best estimate is that I came in a little under calorie goal. More later…

That's a surprisingly healthy meal for a social event. Glad to hear your legs didn't fall off on the long drive!

Busy day catching up from being away. Heading to bed. At some point tomorrow I'll give a better account of the weekend, but briefly, tomorrow will mark two weeks from the calorie increase, and it looks like I will have lost somewhere in the 5 to 6 pound range in that time. It's very likely I'll implement a greater increase effective tomorrow.

Yeah...lost 2.5 pounds again from last Monday to this one. That's faster than I want and my weekly running mileage is scheduled to increase each of the next two weeks. Adding another 275 calories per day.

I wish that I could eat more & still lose weight. You're a calorie-burning machine, Ben!
I’ll dig more deeply into the numbers later, but I suspect it’s actually pretty simple: I just need more calories because my running mileage is increasing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Back