Cowboy's Diary 2.0

cowboy48

Wow it has been a long time. In fact so long they stopped my original diary from getting any more posts. I see the forum has changed looks and everything. I think my last actual post in here was in 2019 sometime.

Okay a quick update:

January of 2019 I hurt my back. I didn't think it was anything serious as I fell running in our Canadian Winter but continued my run and finished it. Next day I was hurting. Did multiple appts at the Chiropractor- he would make it feel better then it would be out again. It all but stopped my running unfortunately. Without the running no matter how little I ate the weight started to go back on. I tried different forms of exercise and diets
(from Keto to fasting- you name it) but nothing seemed to help. Fast forward a couple of years and I was at 260 pounds again from 185. How did this happen to me??? How did I let it happen?? I was doing this crap again and I vowed I would never gain the weight back but here I was. So frustrating!!

Okay so March of this year I vowed that I would get back at it. As I decided this my back went out again. I powered on since I couldn't really do any real exercise and hit the diet hard. Now I didn't do Keto ( I just found it didn't really work for me for long term) or IF as it worked for a bit but after a while the losses stopped. This time I went back to my old faithful and just cut out all the junk I could and ate sensibly. I would have one cookie instead of multiple ones. I always preached moderation in everything but forgot all this when I did Keto or IF. Moderation works for me- I knew it just didn't listen to myself.

Today I am at 225 from 260 in about 3 months time. I am just about to start my running program again and I am in a good place physically and mentally. I am going back down to 185 as that is where I feel the best. Oh and just this past week I turned 60. Wow I am getting up there-lol.

On my 50th birthday I ran my first 1/2 marathon. Since that time I have run multiple 1/2's, 5Ks, 10Ks, 16Milers and for my 60th birthday a marathon was on my bucket list. That didn't happen. Makes me sad but that is life.

I forget how much I LOVE to run. Running was my stress reliever and made me feel great. I can't wait to start all over again and build up my mileage to maybe run a marathon for my 61st birthday. Guess we will see.

That is it for me. I will take a look to see who I recognize in this forum as I am sure some of you are still around and some are gone.

In the meantime ---- Keep fighting the fight!!

Hey, Cowboy. It's great to have you back, even though you may not be happy with the reasons.
I am in a good place physically and mentally.
It's good that you are back in a good space & I'm sure you'll get back to where you want to be :)

Hey, Cowboy. It's great to have you back, even though you may not be happy with the reasons.

It's good that you are back in a good space & I'm sure you'll get back to where you want to be :)
Thanks Cate. Nice to hear from you again. It has been an interesting journey. I honestly thought I was through doing this crap but apparently I am not-lol. I know this is an endless struggle that gets harder the older I get but I am hoping to get back to where I was before.

I was just thinking about a few of the things I have been doing since the last time I was on here. Let me see:

Well I have my first grandchild. He is awesome and makes me laugh everyday. Grandchildren are so fun and it is nice to see how your own child raises his own child. I can see some of my influences on how he interacts with his son and it is funny to hear him say some of the same things I said when he was little-lol. That being said I am just there to spoil him and to have fun with him-haha.

We also moved. We have been in the same house for 38 years. I won't say it was easy but it was worth it. As I have gotten older and been through helping with my in-laws when they got older that I needed to start putting things into place to make transitioning easier for my kids. Funny how living through something makes you want to make sure the same things aren't thrust upon your kids. Needless to say I am not ready for assisted living or anything like that but we did downsize and got rid of some stuff we didn't need anymore as we moved to a much smaller house. Purging can be quite therapeutic and makes you realize what you need and what you don't.

This past weekend went okay. I celebrated my birthday on the weekend with my kids and their significant others and maybe over indulged in some birthday cake but I am back at it today.

That is it for today.

Keep fighting the fight!!

Wow, Cowboy. A lot has happened in that time. Congratulations on being a granddad & happy birthday! G & I tried looking at smaller places & thinking about downsizing, but we weren't quite ready. Unfortunately, he said he wanted to move to a small city 60 km away & I prefer the local town, 11 km away, so I didn't look very hard.
It will be lovely seeing your grandson develop. I adore our GK's!

Wow, Cowboy. A lot has happened in that time. Congratulations on being a granddad & happy birthday! G & I tried looking at smaller places & thinking about downsizing, but we weren't quite ready. Unfortunately, he said he wanted to move to a small city 60 km away & I prefer the local town, 11 km away, so I didn't look very hard.
It will be lovely seeing your grandson develop. I adore our GK's!
Thanks Cate. We weren't really ready either-lol. We figured to downsize in 5 or 6 years but it happened now instead. Was lots of work at the beginning but feels very cleansing now. Don't miss the stuff at all.

Well I am going to try something different than I have in the past. I signed up with a lady who is a homeopathic nutritionist- part of a group of us from all over the world. I normally do my own thing for weight loss but my daughter signed up so I did as well both for my own weight loss and to support my daughter. She did this before and did very well on it. It is basically whole foods - lots of vegetables and salads with minimal meats etc. She gives you a menu with the recipes- the shopping list - tells you how much to eat of it. Seems pretty easy. She varies the protein, carbs and fats each week so your body doesn't get used to eating the same ratios. She starts with a cleanse week and then continues from there. Foods are foods I eat all the time now anyway so I thought I would give it a try to see how I do. Exercise is part of it as well.

I have found in the past that my body doesn't do well without carbs. I can eat low carb but eating next to none carbs doesn't help me lose weight or help my energy levels. So this seems the perfect fit. I will see how it goes. Exercise is also part of the plan so maybe getting back to running is something I need to look at.

Well that is it for now.

Keep fighting the fight!

That program sounds promising, Cowboy. I'm seeing my doctor this week & am going to get a referral to a nutritionist. We have to keep fighting that fight!

Hi Cowboy, good to see you back! I somehow missed your new diary up until now but I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

That program sounds promising, Cowboy. I'm seeing my doctor this week & am going to get a referral to a nutritionist. We have to keep fighting that fight!
So far so good Cate. She doesn't actually do anything over the Summer so I have been redoing the last session. I restart on Sept 20 again. We will see how it goes but I have been very successful so far.

I have been meaning to get to everyone's diary but haven't had a chance yet. I have been perusing some people's diaries all along just to see how they are doing but haven't posted in anyone's as of yet.

Decided to just follow the nutritionist program just on weekdays. The weekends I haven't been overdoing it too much but have been eating a small quantity of things I really like. Weight is staying stable . I restart the next program in just over a week now. The nutritionist starts with a cleanse week with basically very little meat and carbs and a bunch of vegetables and broths. The first week is always the toughest but I will get through it. The nice thing about this programs is she varies it from season to season and bases the menu plan on what is in season or what is typical with what people eat. For example the Spring/ Summer session had lots of different kinds of salads. I think this next one will probably have lots of soups but not sure as this is only my second session.

Well that is it for today.

Keep fighting the fight!!

You sound well prepared mentally to get going with the program, Cowboy. It seems like a good one.

Hello Cowboy. New to your diary. I, like you, have been here before and am now back here again. Working it little by slow. Nice to make your acquaintance.

Last edited:
The nice thing about this programs is she varies it from season to season and bases the menu plan on what is in season or what is typical with what people eat. For example the Spring/ Summer session had lots of different kinds of salads. I think this next one will probably have lots of soups
I like the sound of that. Seasonal eating keeps things fresh while still being comforting. If you get any good soup recipes I'm all ears.

You sound well prepared mentally to get going with the program, Cowboy. It seems like a good one.
Thanks Cate. It is hard sometimes to get prepared mentally at least it always has been for me. Hard to get into the zone so to speak but I think I am almost there.

Hello Cowboy. New to your diary. I, like you, have been here before and am now back here again. Working it little by slow. Nice to make your acquaintance.
Hey TDT. Nice to "meet" you too. I recognize your handle from a ways back. Slow and steady does in fact win the race.

I like the sound of that. Seasonal eating keeps things fresh while still being comforting. If you get any good soup recipes I'm all ears.
You got it LaMa.

Back