Hello Everybody!

Hey everyone,

I'm Joel and I am not to sure if i am at the right place or not but basically over the last few weeks I have decided its time to take up a hobbie. Turn the TV off and start getting really fit.

Basically what I want to do is get some kind of front figure happening like a toned body i guess you call it and fairly good sized arms but while doing this maintaining a healthy diet. I am sick of the junk food I eat which only makes me feel like crap after it anyway.

So a toned body, fair sized arms and a healthy diet. if anyone can support me or help me get started i would very much appreciate it. It seems like a very nice community here.

Thanks.

Hey Joel, welcome aboard.

It's awesome that you want to get in better shape, however, your goals are a little off. Number one, this isn't a hobby. Nutrition, health, and exercise are a way to maintain your body and live a healthy life. It's not something you do when you're bored. So if you're not ready for that, I think you need to rethink it.

Also, a "toned body" and "fairly bigger arms" are not really the way to go. Don't pick out one specific body part like that. I know, you want to look good and feel good, and big arms is what you think will make that happen. That may be true, but full body training is very important to muscle balance, injury prevention, fat loss, etc. Focus on eating well, getting your ENTIRE BODY in shape, and the rest will follow suit.

Good Luck!

Hey Joel, welcome aboard.

It's awesome that you want to get in better shape, however, your goals are a little off. Number one, this isn't a hobby. Nutrition, health, and exercise are a way to maintain your body and live a healthy life. It's not something you do when you're bored. So if you're not ready for that, I think you need to rethink it.

Also, a "toned body" and "fairly bigger arms" are not really the way to go. Don't pick out one specific body part like that. I know, you want to look good and feel good, and big arms is what you think will make that happen. That may be true, but full body training is very important to muscle balance, injury prevention, fat loss, etc. Focus on eating well, getting your ENTIRE BODY in shape, and the rest will follow suit.

Good Luck!

Dude please take no disrespect to this and I know im new to this forum aswell, but tellin a newb "they need to rethink it" isnt cool under any circumstances. He never once used the words "big or bigger arms" in his greeting. He simply sais fairly sized and toned, plus, you know as well as I do that when you or I started we all thought we were gonna look like Arnold. Im not sure what kind of shape your in, you may be a pro bodybuilder for all I know, but again, plz take no disrespect to this post and I do agree with everything else you said. I just dont want to see nobody get scared away from changing their life because of a negative comment on their first day.

P.S. Welcome Joel, set realistic goals and it will happen with patience, good dieting, and bustin butt in the gym ! Plenty of info here to help ya get started.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feed back I appreciate every comment made. I understand what by what your saying about the entire body needs to all come at once instead of just working on one part. thank you very much for the feed back.

So any tips on where i would start? On this site a beginners guide to it all I guess you could say.

Dude please take no disrespect to this and I know im new to this forum aswell, but tellin a newb "they need to rethink it" isnt cool under any circumstances. He never once used the words "big or bigger arms" in his greeting. He simply sais fairly sized and toned, plus, you know as well as I do that when you or I started we all thought we were gonna look like Arnold. Im not sure what kind of shape your in, you may be a pro bodybuilder for all I know, but again, plz take no disrespect to this post and I do agree with everything else you said. I just dont want to see nobody get scared away from changing their life because of a negative comment on their first day.

P.S. Welcome Joel, set realistic goals and it will happen with patience, good dieting, and bustin butt in the gym ! Plenty of info here to help ya get started.

None taken, but I have to COMPLETELY disagree with telling someone new to rethink their goals as "not cool under any circumstances."

I know what you're saying, but that's exactly my point. Most people start out with radically wrong goals, and I don't want him to start out that way. It was totally intended to be helpful, not disrespectful. Don't you wish that you started out the right way? IMO, it would be much worse NOT to tell him to rethink his goals.

Thank you for the feed back I appreciate every comment made. I understand what by what your saying about the entire body needs to all come at once instead of just working on one part. thank you very much for the feed back.

So any tips on where i would start? On this site a beginners guide to it all I guess you could say.
There are a few good stickies on here that you should look at. Check out the making your own program one, so that you can pick a professional routine to start.

There is also a grocery list of some good foods that you can look into for the clean eating part of this, and a sticky on the basics of fat loss.

Basically, you want a good routine like starting strength, strong lifts 5x5, or NROL. SS is the best to learn the most about the exercises I think.

Remember, diet is always the most important.

Here are the two big things you want to read:
http://training.fitness.com/nutrition/nutrition-101-a-32846.html
http://training.fitness.com/weight-...inefficient-split-maybe-read-first-34522.html

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)

Back