New book that I highly suggest you check out

he probably just set it up so we could DL it from him via torrent. He's not stupid (like Typh :p), he knows how this works :D

he probably just set it up so we could DL it from him via torrent. He's not stupid (like Typh :p), he knows how this works :D

Ah man, I wish I was just playing dumb here. DL it from him?!?! You can Deadlift over the interwebz now? :confused:

You need to read the book from cover to cover before making statements like that. To boot, nobody is claiming it's the be all end all. Comparing it to BFFM or something similar though is comical.

Tom is a friend of mine and I'm certain he'd admit that this book and his own aren't comparable.

Also, you do realize where the original 5x5 and all the iterations since than come from right?

It's a strength program. It just happens to be one that beginners have found a lot of utility in in terms of strength gain and hypertrophy.

This book is about hypertrophy training, plain and simple.

No, read me clearly again. Read the book cover to cover before making statements like you are. If you did, you wouldn't be asking about nutrition how you are.

You seem to be missing the point of this book.

And criticism? I'm not the author.

All this talk about nutrition, bffm, etc is very confusing.

My point is that criticism isn't warranted or applicable just b/c it's labeled criticism.

Think that through for a second.

I emailed Matt... maybe he'll come here to reply to your criticism.

My mistake.

I misread/understood your intent by bringing up BFFM strategies.

That said, my point about misapplying criticism still stands.

This isn't actually criticism, its just a commentary. When I go to a store and they offer me something, I may ask how it compares to something else and on what in can do for my particular circumstances. Having said this you want me to read the book from cover to cover but don't know where DIET is located for example? Are you then a good salesman for the ebook?

i just skimmed through the first chapter and the author said he will not be mentioning nutrition much because he is not an expert on it or something. (don't quote me lol but it's in the first chapter)

Ding Ding Ding.

Matt, compared to many others, is extremely well versed in nutrition. But he doesn't hold himself out there as an authority on the subject. Especially not when he's friends with the likes of Lyle McDonald. He'll leave the writing of nutrition for Lyle.

He never claims that building muscle can be done without proper nutrition... quite the contrary actually which is obvious to anyone who a) actually read the book or b) is halfway decent with reading comprehension.

This isn't actually criticism, its just a commentary. When I go to a store and they offer me something, I may ask how it compares to something else and on what in can do for my particular circumstances. Having said this you want me to read the book from cover to cover but don't know where DIET is located for example? Are you then a good salesman for the ebook?

The book is free, get this book AND the other book, won't be more expencive. And Strout is hardly a salesman, as the book is free. He is just recommending it because he knows the writer and says he knows his stuff (which I agree with). He never said he had read the book cover to cover, I think he said he read the first chapter.

Is this book supposed to be an all in one (meaning it contains all you need) about how to build a buttload of muscle? it seems like there is quite a bit in there about how muscle is built (with the mTOR pathway, intracellular signaling, etc), which is interesting stuff and can help you get an idea of why you should be training like you should.

Last edited:
I'd just like to say that blackbeard is a textbook case of why I'm disillusioned at the moment.

Thanks for that, bro - don't read it AND make a shambles of the English language while "critiquing" with your poor understanding of the subject. It's the Real T-Man 2-for-1 deal.

I can't imagine why that'd be off-putting to people.

Who are you dude? What is poor understanding of the "subject"? I've got material from Mark Rippetoe, Dr John Beradi, Lyle McDonald, Tom Venuto and a tonne of other ebooks, so say what is in this ebook that is not in the material from the who's who of fitness/nutrition. I'm not belittling this effort just trying to grasp exactly who it is aimed at and its limitations and so on.

The funny thing here is that:

1) It's a free download and
2) I explain all this, in some detail, in both the introduction and the first chapter

Which effectively means there are zero barriers to you getting the answers to all of your questions - besides your own lack of reading comprehension and/or laziness, that is.

BB.

Read the book. It's that simple. I've personally communicated with the majority of people you've listed and they have not written a book like Matt's. Simple as that.

The intro to the book clearly explains who the book is intended for.

You either have interest in reading it or you don't. If you don't... that's fantastic. But don't come into a thread claiming the book is lacking b/c it doesn't discuss nutrition and shortchanges or doesn't do the 5x5 justice. Doing so is the equivalent of coming into a discussion about football, putting your hand up waiting for a high-five, and saying, "How about that homerun by Brian Westbrook."

I'm sure you'll disagree and that's fine b/c you've read some books. I'm typically not an ass. If you would've come into this thread without the misdirected/misapplied critique and instead asked for more information about the book and questioned the qualifications of the author... I would've been 100% fine with that.

But you didn't. Instead you made what appears to be a lame attempt of acting like you know what it is you're talking about.

No offense intended.

So there is no "new revelation" then? I'm not surprised seeing your attitude. If you read Rippetoe's stuff he would tell you what to expect/not to expect coming from a powerlifting perspective. I'll probably pass thanks.

Please do. It would go way over your head, and I don't want you to have to come back in here bleating about how difficult the material is.

As it is, you already seem to know what's in it despite not having read the first word, so you're clearly an accomplished psychic that doesn't need to learn things.

Yes its free but as the authors are unable to explain what is in this book that is not in existing material, I'll probably pass. Thanks though.

Are you for real? It's not like the guy just charged you $100 for a book called 'everything blackbeard didn't already know about muscle building and nutrition'.
I imagine for the vast majority of readers it'll contain completely new information for them.

I haven't read the whole thing yet but from what I've read it looks interesting and informative and I'm enjoying reading it.

PM - Thanks for making the book available and also for making it a free download, much appreciated, I'm gonan forward it around friends and nag everyone to donate

It's obvious by seeing Blackbeard's posts on my forum that he has an ideal of how things should be presented to him and if reality doesn't match his perception of ideal... he's not happy. And everyone else is wrong.

Which is fine. To each his own.

I'm done with BB's interpretation of the book and suggest we move past it.

Back