Dead lift form check

First of all, good going on posting a video! Too many people don't and end up using bad form over long periods of time.

Are you going for a romanian deadlift or conventional deadlift? It looks more like a romanian (you are really doing a romanian deadlift) It looks like the back is a bit flexed when you lift it off the floor and when you put it down.

On to the lift:
It doesn't look too bad, though I would focus on getting more of an arch in my lower back. If you look at the lower part of your back you can see a little bump, that's what worries me.
As you start moving your hips back, just focus on arching the lower back. You may need to do a bit less ROM in order to do this

Also, lose the shoes, just do the DLs barefeet. The shoes look like regular running shoes or something. I bet the sole is really soft, which is great for absorbing impact from running, but not so great for stability when you are lifting heavy things.

Also, keep your shoulder blades back and your chest out.

Keep up the good work! And it's nice seing someone actually doing deadlifts for a change :)

Thanks for the advice Karky. Yea I was going for the romanian DL, I thought my back was supposed to be straight. I was worried about my lower back cause it felt all tight after I added more weight, I wasn't sure if it was good or bad. I'll make a few adjustments and post a new vid soon.

Thanks for the advice Karky. Yea I was going for the romanian DL, I thought my back was supposed to be straight. I was worried about my lower back cause it felt all tight after I added more weight, I wasn't sure if it was good or bad. I'll make a few adjustments and post a new vid soon.

you should keep the "natural arch" in your back, so it's not completely straight. It shouldn't be excessively arched either, though. I'll make sure I remember to check the next vid.

that's my user. Don't judge though, many of those vids are for form critique, not to show how it's supposed to be done.

@Karky, not too bad, at least you can shift some decent weight. Its fun seeing vids of other forum users as opposed to some huge powerlifter moving 800 lbs.

@Emm what about the ?

Good question, I dunno. I went romanian because it was the first one I learned. I just read a little about them, so the conventional is like a squat that works hams, glutes, and quads and the romanian is primarily hams and glutes right? Which is better? Seems like the conventional if it works more muscles.

I'll have the vid up today doing whatever you guys say is the better one.

one isn't better, they are just two different lifts. Conventional will work quads a bit more, but it's not like a squat, your hips, for instance, will be positioned higher than in a squat. You'll probably be leaning more forward too.

Alright well, I tried to focus on the arc in my back, I don't know if I did it enough though, maybe I should sit lower?

Back