Backspace's Journal and image gallery!

You should wear what you've been wearing. You don't want to change anything. Don't buy anything new, don't try anything new, just do what you've been doing. Otherwise on race day you'll start blistering or chafing or something else.

All very sound advice.

There is a blue green algae bloom in the lake where the Triathlon will be held. It has been pretty bad, therefore the format may change

below is the latest news:

Community CPS Race#4

Sunday 1 March

Update: 25th Feb 2009: 12am

At the stage, Triathlon ACT is waiting for Thursday's update on the lake quality before confirmation on the format for Sunday's CPS#4 race.

Edited for spelling, I was in a rush at work.

Last edited:
There is a blue green algae bloom in the lake where the Triathlon will be held. It has been pretty bad, therefore the format may change

We swim in the algae all the time. I thought you Aussies were tough? :) Kidding. I belong to an open water swimming group which enables me to swim anywhere I want in a nearby lake. It's about 2 miles from my house which is quite convenient. When the algae gets too bad, our annual fees among other things go towards having the algae removed by boats dragging the lake. It's like mowing the lawn -- underwater.

We swim in the algae all the time. I thought you Aussies were tough? :) Kidding. I belong to an open water swimming group which enables me to swim anywhere I want in a nearby lake. It's about 2 miles from my house which is quite convenient. When the algae gets too bad, our annual fees among other things go towards having the algae removed by boats dragging the lake. It's like mowing the lawn -- underwater.

This is a diffrent type of algae, blue green algae.

Cyanobacteria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I rested yesterday, just rode my bike to work. Probably same again today, I might go to squad swim tonight, see how I feel.

How will I feel after 4km of running, if I go pretty hard? I am really tired after the 6km with 4km of hills. But I recover really quickly.

I am starting to think about my strategy for the race. With no swim I might have a good crack and go hard. If I can get to the bike quickly, I can hammer the 16km, and push myself the 1.5km home on the final run.

My cat scratched the inside of my foot!

Update:
Community CPS Triathlon Series race #4 – Sunday, 1st March

Lake Closure - CPS#4 to be conduct in Duathlon format

Thursday 26th Feb 2pm: The National Capital Authority has advised that Lake Burley Griffin remains closed to all primary contact recreation (swimming) due to continuing concentrations of toxic blue green algae.

The ACT Schools Triathlon Championships and CPS#4 will be conducted as Duathlons: RUN/ RIDE/ RUN
Check the website for full course from Thursday 26th Feb 5pm.

Well all that swimming, for noouutthing!!!. Kidding, I'm heaps gald I swam so much, I will continue to swim also.

My shin is a problem. I think I have a shin splint! ekk. I just had a little jog to the pool (it was closed due to school fete) and I had pain there instantly.

VINCE, help me! what do I do? I will rest it. I will call my doctor buddy. Thats about all I can do.

VINCE, help me! what do I do? I will rest it. I will call my doctor buddy. Thats about all I can do.

REST!

You've been training for weeks. Missing days is not going to impact your race all that much. Better to be race ready and miss a few days than to try and race injured.

Okay, will do. Rest it is. Just took my bike into the shop, he said he will get it running like a weapon for my race.

I had to walk home, so I did a light jog on the way home. I felt great, was not puffed at all when I stopped I recovered really quickly. It was only about 2km. I was testing my leg, and it felt fine, after it had a small pang, but not much. I have a sore tooth but nothing bad, and my cat scratched my instep (damn cat!).

Also, there is a stomach bug going around work and I had some gas today. I'm sure it's psychological.

I am really excited, and have a few friends coming down to watch me. I think all this injury stuff has something to do with my body preparing for the race.

I am happy with my tapering. Diet has been okay, I’m trying to get lots of carbs into me.

I have race information!

Check this link. I am going in the "short race".

3km Run18km bike, 1.5km Run.

I am thinking about running in my bike shorts? Such a short run it will not casue any issues, I mean I ride in them for so long. I will have a little test.

(very little).

Am excited!

I have race information!

Check this link. I am going in the "short race".

3km Run18km bike, 1.5km Run.

I am thinking about running in my bike shorts? Such a short run it will not casue any issues, I mean I ride in them for so long. I will have a little test.

(very little).

Am excited!

Have you run in your bikes shorts previously?

My brain is all over the shop. No. Sorry Sensei, but I thought I would save some time. I normally run in a pair of shorts.

So run
change into bike shorts, ride
change out of bike shorts into shorts
run

Or just ride in my running shorts.

(cause I don't want to risk your wrath by suggesting I run in my bike shorts)

Bike in running shorts? Ouch. I'd opt for running in bike shorts. Let's see pictures of both. What you run and ride in might be different than what I run and ride in.

My brain is all over the shop. No. Sorry Sensei, but I thought I would save some time. I normally run in a pair of shorts.

So run
change into bike shorts, ride
change out of bike shorts into shorts
run

Or just ride in my running shorts.

(cause I don't want to risk your wrath by suggesting I run in my bike shorts)

I doubt you're gonna have anyplace to change and even if you did, on such a short event, even 2 - 3 minutes to change is gonna cost you dearly.

I think you need to decide whether to run in bike shorts or bike in running shorts. If you have roadie bike shorts with heavy padding, you can do it, but I think you would regret it. If you had tri shorts, you could do both. I would opt to bike in the running shorts. You're only going 12 miles, how sore can your @$$ get in 12 miles?

I doubt you're gonna have anyplace to change and even if you did, on such a short event, even 2 - 3 minutes to change is gonna cost you dearly.

I think you need to decide whether to run in bike shorts or bike in running shorts. If you have roadie bike shorts with heavy padding, you can do it, but I think you would regret it. If you had tri shorts, you could do both. I would opt to bike in the running shorts. You're only going 12 miles, how sore can your @$$ get in 12 miles?

I think it depends on what you use for running shorts. That's why I asked. I bike in tri shorts which have very little padding but my running shorts are almost like having nothing on. I think the biking with nothing would be fine but having that thin layer seems like it would cause trouble. We need to know what he's using for both.

I think I will ride in my runnign shorts. they are just standard board shorts. They are think, but I should be okay for the 18km, I used to ride further when I had no shorts.

Just finished a Microsoft Project 2003 course, head cave.

Just got my bike back from the shop.

Something funny happened. I jumped on, in my running shorts to test both them and bike, it the seat felt funny, too high or something.

I got home, about 2.km, and I phoned. The guy said he had to adjust the seat to put it on the rack and had not had a chance to amend it. I thought initially it was my shorts!

Anyway, went back and got it fixed (no tool here) and all is good. Otherwiese it seems to be running really well.

I bought some fuel for the race.

Endura gel (26g carbs)
Endura powder (to load up on magnesium before the race and to have in my drink bottle during)
Carbo shotz 29g carbs
Accel Gel (4 to 1 Carb protein ratio for recovery)

Just felt like buy a bunch of stuff.

I think I will ride in my runnign shorts. they are just standard board shorts. They are think, but I should be okay for the 18km, I used to ride further when I had no shorts.

Just finished a Microsoft Project 2003 course, head cave.

As long as your comfortable in them, it doesn't really matter what you wear.

Okay I am nervous now!

And excited. Today is about relaxing, carbs and getting stuff done at home I have put off due to training.

I had a dream last night that I got two medals, one was for fourth place and one was for 1st. 4th place medal was on a 5 cent coin, and 1st was on a 20 cent coin.

So perhaps I will come in 25th? If so, I would be really happy.

Wish me luck!

Forecast for Sunday
Fine and partly cloudy with light to moderate westerly winds.

City Precis: Fine, partly cloudy.
City: Min 13 Max 28

Chance of rainfall: 10%.
Winds on Lake: Westerly winds 10 to 20 km/h.

The gods seem to be happy.

Next post will be post race. I will get my GF to take some pics.

Next post will be post race. I will get my GF to take some pics.

Good luck!

Back