Sport Analyze my diet

Sport Fitness
Hello all,

I was looking for a second opinion on my eating and exercising habits. My goals this summer are to continue to improve my cardiovascular strength, and also add lean muscle to my body. I currently measure around 5'11", 160 lbs, and am 19 years old. This is the leanest/fittest I've ever been, last summer I worked out regularly, but was not nearly as lean, I was closer to 170-175 lbs with a little more muscle but still carried some weight around my midsection.

My daily routine in terms of nutrition is a breakfast of kashi cereal with blueberries or raspberries, fruit salad, and a protein shake. Occasionally I add in yogurt. I then usually eat about a cup mix of almonds, walnuts, cashews, and pecans around 10:00 am. For lunch I eat around 1:00 pm and with either a salad with salmon (with many veggies), tuna sandwich, sushi, or brown-rice stir-fry (with many veggies). Dinner is usually around 6:30 pm after my workout, and is often inconsistent in terms of what I eat. In addition, the only fluid I drink throughout the day is water, and I drink a lot of it. A big cup when I wake up, a 32 oz. bottle before lunch at work, large cup at lunch, and then a very big amount after my workout and dinner.

My workout M-F lasts about 1 hour and 30 minutes and begins with a 3-mile run that I do in approximately 21 minutes. I do this run fast because I don't want to focus on fat burn as much as I do cardiovascular. I then follow with a daily schedule of ab routines or weight training, focusing on my arms, back, shoulders and chest. After this workout, I end with a another protein shake and then eat my dinner which varies from chicken to pizza (yuck, not what I want). On weekends, I often go for a 4-mile run or so, but give my muscle groups time to rest.

My real question is, can anyone give any insight into any part of diet/exercise habits that can help improve it? If you need more information, please ask.

Thanks,

Michael
mnow51 is online now Add to mnow51's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Last edited:
Sounds good. But it sounds like your not training legs.

Post your workout routine.

You're right, I don't do many legs exercises, I primarily just run and then call it a day on my legs, stupid I know.
My routine in terms of lifting is pretty sporadic. I am not too experienced on what muscle groups to target on which days, so I just follow a pattern of giving 2-3 days off between working different muscle groups. For my different workouts, I try to follow a general pattern of:

Chest (weight in lbs)
Machine bench press - 2 sets each (12 reps at 110, 10 at 120, 8 at 130)
Incline machine bench press- 2 sets each (12 reps at 70, 10 at 80, 8 at 90)

Arms
Biceps:
Machine curl - 2 sets each (12 reps at 40, 10 reps at 50, 8 reps at 60)
Dumbell curl - 2 sets each (20 reps at 25lbs each hand, 16 at 30 lbs, 12 at 35)
Hammer curl - 2 sets each (20 reps at 25lbs each hand, 16 at 30 lbs)

Triceps:
Machine tricep extension - 2 sets each (12 reps at 40 lbs, 10 at 50 lbs, 8 reps at 60 lbs)
Dumbell overhead raise- 2 sets each (12 reps at 25 lbs, 10 reps at 30 lbs, 8 reps at 35 lbs)
Back
Machine row - 2 sets each (12 reps at 70 lbs, 10 reps at 80 lbs, 8 reps at 90 lbs)
Lat pull-down - 2 sets each (12 reps at 70 lbs, 10 reps at 80 lbs, 8 reps at 90 lbs)

Shoulders
Machine military press - 2 sets each (12 reps at 60 lbs, 10 reps at 70 lbs, 8 reps at 80 lbs)
Shoulder shrugs - 2 sets each (12 reps at 30 lb dumbells, 10 reps at 35 lb dumbells)

That is the basic of what I try to follow, and in terms of when I do it, it is mainly by feel of if my muscles feel fatigued. Any insight onto what I should change, add, or remove is appreciated.

You're right, I don't do many legs exercises, I primarily just run and then call it a day on my legs, stupid I know.
My routine in terms of lifting is pretty sporadic. I am not too experienced on what muscle groups to target on which days, so I just follow a pattern of giving 2-3 days off between working different muscle groups. For my different workouts, I try to follow a general pattern of:

Chest (weight in lbs)
Machine bench press - 2 sets each (12 reps at 110, 10 at 120, 8 at 130)
Incline machine bench press- 2 sets each (12 reps at 70, 10 at 80, 8 at 90)

Arms
Biceps:
Machine curl - 2 sets each (12 reps at 40, 10 reps at 50, 8 reps at 60)
Dumbell curl - 2 sets each (20 reps at 25lbs each hand, 16 at 30 lbs, 12 at 35)
Hammer curl - 2 sets each (20 reps at 25lbs each hand, 16 at 30 lbs)

Triceps:
Machine tricep extension - 2 sets each (12 reps at 40 lbs, 10 at 50 lbs, 8 reps at 60 lbs)
Dumbell overhead raise- 2 sets each (12 reps at 25 lbs, 10 reps at 30 lbs, 8 reps at 35 lbs)
Back
Machine row - 2 sets each (12 reps at 70 lbs, 10 reps at 80 lbs, 8 reps at 90 lbs)
Lat pull-down - 2 sets each (12 reps at 70 lbs, 10 reps at 80 lbs, 8 reps at 90 lbs)

Shoulders
Machine military press - 2 sets each (12 reps at 60 lbs, 10 reps at 70 lbs, 8 reps at 80 lbs)
Shoulder shrugs - 2 sets each (12 reps at 30 lb dumbells, 10 reps at 35 lb dumbells)

That is the basic of what I try to follow, and in terms of when I do it, it is mainly by feel of if my muscles feel fatigued. Any insight onto what I should change, add, or remove is appreciated.

Your routine is very bad. Take a look at the weight training 101 stickies.

I have a hard time disagreeing with you. I eat very healthy, run and do cardio a lot, but in terms of weight training, I am a noob. Any idea where to start? I read Weight Training 101 sticky.

I imagine that keeping a more detailed record/log of my routine would help, as well, so I think I need to firm that out.

Last edited:
You need a routine, your not at a stage where you should be training one body part a day.

Your best best since your a beginner is to do a full body workout 3x a week.
Your routine right now has too many isolational exercises, and not enough compounds.
Your also using machines, stay away from the machines and stick to free weights.

Monday:
Squat
Bench
Military press
bent over row
Dips or pull ups

Wednesday
Deadlift
Bench
military press
bent over row
dips or pull ups

Friday
Squat
bench
military press
bent over row
dips or pull ups

If if you still feel the need to do curls and tricep extensions, you can do them at the end of your workout.
Try to increase the weight when ever you can, and try to change the reps up every now and then to something different
3x10, 4x6, 5x5, etc.

Thanks Phate. I know I have a lot to do in terms of getting my regiment solidified, and I am willing to do that. I feel like I have a good base to start on because I am in good health right now, I just really want to take my weight training to the next level.

In addition, if I take up the full-body exercise 3 days a week, do you think it is OK if i still do my 3-mile run everyday and abs every other day?

Hey Phate

I'm also a nooob. What is the reason for free weights over machines? The reason I ask is that I sometimes I train alone and as an example if I'm on my back and pushing weights above me I dont want the weight to end up on me. :eek: What is the advantage of free weights?

Jason

Hey Phate

I'm also a nooob. What is the reason for free weights over machines? The reason I ask is that I sometimes I train alone and as an example if I'm on my back and pushing weights above me I dont want the weight to end up on me. :eek: What is the advantage of free weights?

Jason

Free weights recruit more muscle groups than machines, which tend to only isolate specific muscles. It promotes quicker strength gains and require more balance and coordination, which will lead in more use of your stabilizer muscles.

Thanks Phate

Back