Your and you're

This is kind of an extension of the "lose, not loose" thread and i don't know if this was brought up in that particular thread but this is one of my biggest online peeves and bothers me so much that i decided to make a thread about it...So here goes -

You're - Short for "you are"...examples of usage

"you're not trying hard enough"
"you're annoying me, go away"

Your - signifies ownership

"Is this yours?"
"put your pen down and pay attention to me"

I'm not an English teacher but i think that's a clear enough explanation. Thanks.

I've got some other stuff to add. There, Their and They're

They're Is short for "they are" as in: They're going out.

There Refers to a location as in: It's over there

Their Signifies possession as in: It's their house.

Okay, now for the one that bothers me the most. Then and Than.

Then is used to speak about a time in the past or to describe a sequence of events.

Example 1:

Back then, life was simpler.

Example 2:

I went to the store, then I went home and took a nap.

Than is used to compare things:

Example:

Karky has more posts than Chillen. :D

I've got some other stuff to add. There, Their and They're

They're Is short for "they are" as in: They're going out.

There Refers to a location as in: It's over there

Their Signifies possession as in: It's their house.

Okay, now for the one that bothers me the most. Then and Than.

Then is used to speak about a time in the past or to describe a sequence of events.

Example 1:

Back then, life was simpler.

Example 2:

I went to the store, then I went home and took a nap.

Than is used to compare things:

Example:

Karky has more posts than Chillen. :D

Thank you...there/their/they're is another one that bothers me.

kraken said:
You forgot yore.

as in

Life was full of sex and drinking in the days of yore

lol

Personally I hate it when people talk about other people's grammar. I mean I know people who write phonetically and I am able to get the meaning of it after re-reading it a few times.

My highschool teacher once told us that writing well shows that you're intelligent. I argued that intelligence works both ways: if you're able to read through someone’s unintelligible without losing meaning then it shows signs of intelligence on both side because the meaning is not lost.

Last edited:
Personally I hate it when people talk about other people's grammar. I mean I know people who write phonetically and I am able to get the meaning of it after re-reading it a few times.

I can understand this but like i said, it's just a peeve of mine. I'm sure i make many grammatical errors but i do so because I'm either not aware, or just simply don't care enough. You're and your and Their, There and They're are two of my biggest online peeves. As well as "I.e" and E.g." - For some reason, people seem to think these have same meaning.

Some of my pet peeves...

A lot is not one word. It is incorrect to write it alot.

Y'all is often put as ya'll. It should be written y'all.

I dont care about your, i know the difference but when typing on here im too lazy to both typing ''you're'' so most of the time i put your.

But anyway.....ITS LOSE NOT LOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm always annoyed by its vs. it's. Even in professional writings, people will write something like "the tree provides water to it's branches," using it's when the writer doesn't mean it is.

There's also who's vs. whose.

Of course, a ton of people also say good when they should say well, that is, when they need an adverb. But I think even more people say bad instead of badly without realizing they aren't using correct grammar.

I would have never expected so many people care both about fitness and grammar. Now I'm imagining some powerlifter picking up some guy by his collar and heaving him out of a gym for using bad grammar.

Calcium got it in one.

Man i thought this forum was intelligent! :D

Back