conditioning for muay thai

Hi, ive been doing muay thai for about 2 months now and seriously am getting into it as a sport and obsession! my goal is to visit a camp in thailand within a couple months, however i dont feel my body is ready for that level of training and so i would like to take advantage and do as much conditioning at 110% each day if possible. i have 2 months free off work and school now and so with a full day how much conditioning can i possibly do... im talking weight training for power and strength and even cardio for a better system. I know the basics of training but i want to take it to extreme levels if possible but im struggling on putting together a workout routine.
what i have so far is :
1. healthy food (calorie deficit - wanting to lose belly fat)
2. weight lifting 4-5 times / week
3. 30min jog 3-4 times / week
5. muay thai class lasts about 1 and 1/2 hours of practicing technique and conditioning :SaiyanSmilie_anim: :boxing_smiley::rofl:

i feel with my full days of being free for 2 months that i can be training more / harder... any suggestions or improvements? appreciate it in advance!
i reallly wana get to thailand at a level where i can be sparring or fighting condition hehe

What's your weight lifting routine look like?

If you feel like you've got energy at the end of the day, and lifting 5x a week no less, you could probably be lifting harder...maybe.

by the end of the day im beat up because the last thing i have is muai thai from 6-8pm :p , so its from 7am-4pm i feel i could be doing more.
i wake up feeling too beat to run most of the time so i have been skipping that.
i go to the gym to weight train about 1pm and what i try to do is alternate between upper and lower body each day using compound movements. yesterday i did 3 sets of squats on 3 different machines and so basically i work them until i fatigue, but how do i know that im training a muscle good enough? also im looking for strength not exactly size, a lot of the muai thai fighters are really skinny but man can they pack a powerful punch or kick for that matter! im also too tired to do my cardio after weight lifting most of the time so i go home refuel and rest b4 muai thai. (any suggestions on my weight training routine?:newbie: )

also after typing this i realised what im looking for is some exersice that will fill up my day from the time i wake up 8am until 12am. should it be fasted cardio for 30min or so ? id like the extra calories burned for a couple reasons because im not seeing much change on the scale (maybe due to the fact that im building lean mass) but the fat is still sitting around my lower abs! and also id like to strengthen my cardio system because in thailand they will be making u run a lot! (suggestions here appreciated thank you in advance):boxing_smiley:

The question here is are you training for Thai, or are you using Thai to condition yourself. If you are training for Thai youare lifting WAY TO MUCH and you will be at a huge disadvantage in Thailand. 1-2 days of dumbell, lightweigh, full range of motion lifting. 3-5 mile runs, skipping for rounds, BAG WORK, BAG WORK, PAD WORK, MORE BAG WORK and LOTS OF SHADOWBOXING. Thai is hard on the body, so much rest is needed, but I will say this. To do this type of routine you have to EAT. Your body needs energy. Thai fighters will consume (some) up to 5000 calories a day. Most people won't understand this, but most people don't understand this type of conditioning. Weightlifting is not needed, but maintaining strength is good.

A good bit of that power comes from perfecting the technique...IMO. I have been knocked on my a@@ by smaller people with great technique and dominated much larger people who had none. Having strong legs never hurts though. :)

Hey hows it going?

I would say most important thing is get a partner and get on the thai pads. Get on the sparring and then get on the bags.

What i would do is mix bags and pads with body weight workouts and make circuits out of them i.e.

1ST SET:

(2 Minute rounds):

skipping
Sit ups with medicine ball passing with partner
press ups
lunges
heavy bag
squats
thai pads punching
thai pads holding for punches
thai pads kicking
thai pads holding for kicks
skipping
sparring

2nd SET the same but 3 minute rounds

3rd SET the same as first set.

after this you will be shattered and it will whip you into shape very very quickly cardio wise, will help build and tone lean muscle.

Muy Thai

IMO, you need to ad swimming to your cardio workout- here's why:

1. Most cardio focuses on your legs and core-- swimming is a good way to balance your muscle development while adding in an important cardio aspect.

2. you need more cardio- jogging 3 days a week for 30 minutes is not enough

I'm in the same boat as you are bro. I've been doing Muay Thai for about a month now and I'm really into it.

First off...the real Muay thai camps in Thailand are ridiculous in their levels of training.

Secondly, heres what my regimen looks like...

Muay Thai-4 days a week(hour and a half each class) The majority of the class is pad work...3 minutes on a heavy bag(30 second rest is doing jumping jacks or shadow boxing) you do this for just punches and elbows just kicks and knees and then just free style.

-Heavy Bag w/Rest Period Jumping Jacks
-Precision Mitts-Combo's
-Body Pads-Leg kicks, inside of leg outside of leg, straight kick to chest.
-Body Pads-High Kicks to head(if you have a willing partner)
-PT-Jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, scissors, leg lifts, fire hydrants, and donkey kicks...50 each or until exhaustion.

At the Gym-The only things I really do that supplament my Muay Thai regimen are alot of rows and back work(lat pulldowns, various rows, etc.)

For punches my favorite would be...Get a low pulley, put it at a low weight...get distance from pulley enough so that you always have tension on it...go through a punching motion but only use your core..at the very end use your arm to complete the motion-go slowly..use this for jabs, cross, hooks, upper-cuts, etc.

I've actually found that using the ankle weights that you can purchase at sporting goods stores are good for your kicks--Use a 3-5 pound ankle weight when doing your kicks-roundhouse, straight, leg kicks, body kicks, etc.

I've only been doing this for a short time but when i started( 6' 4" 220...now 211) but I can go about 10 rounds on the heavy bag w/ jumping jack before collapsing from exhaustion.

Hope this helps.

-0Ne

From last September to last December I trained Muay Thai under Coban Lookchaomaesaitong (Coban Lookchaomaesaitong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) in Champaign, IL. After a lifetime of playing sports and staying very active, the muay thai training was without a doubt the toughest physical and mental training I have ever done. Coban and his assistant coach Nilhan were both from Thailand and they put us through a grueling workout 3 nights a week which consisted of 30 minutes of warmups (jumping jacks, high knees, frog jumps, calf raises, and a variety of stretching activities) and then spent the last hour and half split between learning new combinations with pad-work and then usually once a week we would do sparring with a partner.

The specific things I learned to train in Muay Thai to work EXTENSIVELY on (outside of normal conditioning drills):
-Core strength (so much punching and kicking strength comes from your abdominal muscles)
-Flexibility
-Mental toughness (the shear pain that your legs go through in the first two weeks is enough to test any of the toughest, that is, until many of the nerve endings die ;)

Overall, what I can say learning from one of the best was he taught us to focus on these main things, and we never did weight training, he would rather make us do push-ups or use a partners bodyweight as resistance.

I cannot wait to get back to school to begin training under Coban once again.

A fight of his vs. Ramon Dekkers
YouTube - Ramon Dekkers vs Coban II

Our gym in Champaign (Spencer Fisher visited while I was home!!! :(
Dragonz Lair Home Page | Dragonz Lair Mixed Martial

What camp are you looking at going to? I just got back from Thailand and trained Muay Thai over in Phuket for 2 months. It was awesome as...

What camp are you looking at going to? I just got back from Thailand and trained Muay Thai over in Phuket for 2 months. It was awesome as...

how was it !! :p......details plz!..i'd like to train at fairtex, my trainers in florida are all fairtex fighters and they will be visiting soon. was gana go with them but i just started classes :SaiyanSmilie_anim: , looks li il be makn the trip on my own later on

I think it's a good idea to look to the camps in Thailand for direction in this area.

Personally, I like to work in rounds. I start with a nice aerobic warm up, some stretching, then rounds. I start with rounds of skipping and bag work (punches / kicks on a heavy sand bag), then move onto rounds of play sparring, clinching, pad work, and ring sparring.

I think that Muay Thai is one of those sports where actually doing it is the best fitness regime you can have! It's like a different kind of fitness, you know?

Play sparring is the probably the best imo. Light, fast, technical. I try to do as many rounds of play sparring as possible.

alleycat

Thaiboxing gym in Bangkok

There is a very good Thaiboxing gym in Bangkok.

It's called Por Leelajan elite, google it.

They teach Thai boxing, Western boxing, Muay Boran and have a good fitness program.

I have trained there and would recomend them, they concentrate on your technique alot, but also get you very fit. i saw one guy didnt know anything, after 1 month was looking very sharp.

Thaiboxing gym in Bangkok

I have just trained at a gym in Bangkok, it is a great little gym, with all you need for great training.

The gym is called por leelajan elite, they have a few videos on youtube and there also on google.

The gym is located in Minburi, Bangkok.

At the gym it has an excellent Muay Thai program, Muay Boran and Western Boxing.

The gym really concentrates on technique and getting you really fit.

Man...CARDIO!!! I am a huge fan of intervals, but that's really a mental toughness thing. I like having to push myself as hard mentally in training as I would in the 5th round of a fight. You have to be careful not to over bulk. It's already been said, but can't be stressed enough...you gain power for striking from your core. Your ability to really overwhelm in a clench might be helped by weights, but it's not worth the sacrifice to move into a higher weight class. I fight at 145, and am 6' tall. I've been considering trying to bulk now that I'm not as involved in the competition as I was when I was younger, but for years I've been trying to stay at a bare minimum of bulky muscle. Get lean! Be carved out of wood, and then realize that endurance (both physical and mental) is what will end up winning fights.

Back