Rob's Reboot

bensanon

Active member (Rob)
Here goes round two. This is a continuation of my previous diary here but I'm creating fresh space for another start.

I'm 40, 6 foot 1/2 inch. My goal weight is 175lb. Current weight is around 210lb I think. So I have around 35 pounds to lose. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning and have a more definitive number then. I'm carrying a lot of water right now so I expect I will drop a lot in the beginning.

I've been gaining weight since I hit my goal weight of 186 on October 12, 2019. There are two major reasons why I've gained it back so quickly: bingeing and an injury. I've done quite a bit of work on both and believe I can make more progress on stopping the bingeing and in fact, I plan to attempt to completely stop it on this plan. The injury has gotten a little better and I can run again which was my main form of exercise and aided the weight loss tremendously.

I'd like to try some more advanced methods with this effort. First, the exercise will be critical. I'd like to get my running up to 50+ miles a week and I'll post details about my workouts here. A key piece will be to eat according to how much I'm burning. If I create too big of a deficit, I will binge. I can avoid this by eating more but not overeating. Achieving that balance will be a challenge. Additionally, I'd like to try intermittent fasting and eating more plant based protein during this effort. I'll be doing more research before I jump into IF but for the plant protein, I just need to find good healthy sources that I can easily fit in with my meals. I suspect it will be a challenge.

I will also be working on sleep. It has suffered a lot in the past but I think I can do more to get it back to 8+ hours a night.

I have a lot to work out here and I'll post more as I get further along. One piece of this though is having a space to get out some of my more difficult thoughts. When I start restricting, the demons come out so it's about having a space to just get out what's on my mind. I won't curse or anything but I'm sure I'll raise a few eyebrows. No matter though, if the same folks respond here (Cate, Rob, and probably Amy), I think it'll be OK. If you find anything I find offensive, you're welcome to challenge me on it of course but feel free just to look away too as I work through some of the more difficult thoughts and feelings that come up during the process.

Day 1

Food
For a late breakfast I had salad with chicken and light zesty Italian dressing and a fish oil and flax seed oil supplement.
Lunch was a banana, mango, yogurt, almond milk, protein powder smoothie.
Dinner was salad with chicken and light zesty Italian dressing.
For a snack I had another smoothie with the same ingredients plus a fiber supplement.
Total calories in were 2098.

Exercise
Warm-up on the elliptical, 8min
4 sets of 30 reps, reverse hyper
Standing calf and alternating quad stretches
1.2 miles incline walking, 3.9mph, 4% incline
8.6 mile long run, 5.7mph, 1% incline
2 miles run outside with my dog
Total calories out were around 2045.

Sleep
9 hours 42 minutes

Had a good day. I'm in a huge deficit. I binged yesterday though so I think I'll be OK but I will have to make sure I eat according to how much exercise during this to avoid triggering binges. I slept in today so I could get more hours. I'm also using an antihistamine that's helped me in the past. I don't think I have many options when it comes to sleep other than to devote a lot of time to it and try to relax myself and use medication. Overtime, and with the increased running, I'm hoping it'll normalize further and I can use the medication less.

Hey Rob, congrats on the new diary page! I think its a good idea, and you seem to be off to a good start.

You should add a link to your old diary, some folks might want to look back at it.

Best of luck with this new phase. Your plans sound sensible (as long as you build back up to all that running slowly) and we already know you have a lot of determination.

Cool. I appreciate your posts, Rob and LaMa and the lurking Cate. Rob, I put a link to my old diary at the top. I thought about creating a reference post too because there is some good information I've repeatedly used to so I'll probably do that soon. I like the fresh space here so I appreciate that I'm able to do this. I won't continue my old diary.

This morning I weighed 207.4. I'm up about 20 pounds from my weight in October. I'm far from having a handle on maintenance. Honestly, though, I need to keep things in perspective. I lost over 140 pounds in about 2.5 years. That weight got up there over a long time with a lot of unhealthy behaviors. It's unreasonable to expect I'll figure this out so quickly and stick to it long-term on a dime. As it goes with just about everything, progress will be a process and I believe as long as I don't give up and I keep working toward a healthier life, I'll be able to achieve it in time. Heck, I've already achieved so much. I'll strive towards perfecting what I can but not let not being able to be perfect get in the way of progress. I like to affirm cliches sometimes. :)

I think with the running, I'm realizing I need more carbs as a source of fuel. Running without that energy readily available helps with weight loss but puts me at higher risk of bingeing. Overall though, if I eat about the same amount of calories I would if I were eating more protein instead of carbs, I'll still lose weight. A lot of the advice out there like that is helpful but for me for right now, I think a little increase in carbs will be OK and in fact work better for me.

I was sore this morning but I'm using compression socks and they seem to help quite a bit. My lower back is sore, which I felt come on during the running, so I won't push it as much today.

When I'm on my phone, which I really dislike, I don't usually post, but I clicked on like to let you know I had read your new diary. I'm confident that you won't give up & you will keep working towards a healthier life. You are one smart cookie. I'm glad I don't know any perfect people :D

Hi Rob the reboot caught my attention . I always enjoy your posts on others diaries . I don’t post on too many because I just don’t get time to read all .
I did a reboot last week too but didn’t have a great day today . Your posts has given me a boost though . It’s so easy to put weight back on . We all need to consider a good maintenance plan . ( whenever we get there ) . Best of luck with the reboot

When I'm on my phone, which I really dislike, I don't usually post, but I clicked on like to let you know I had read your new diary. I'm confident that you won't give up & you will keep working towards a healthier life. You are one smart cookie. I'm glad I don't know any perfect people :D

I knew you were following, Cate. You're a wonderful and steadfast support to me and everyone in this community. Have to agree with you about perfect people. :D

Hi Rob the reboot caught my attention . I always enjoy your posts on others diaries . I don’t post on too many because I just don’t get time to read all .
I did a reboot last week too but didn’t have a great day today . Your posts has given me a boost though . It’s so easy to put weight back on . We all need to consider a good maintenance plan . ( whenever we get there ) . Best of luck with the reboot

Petal, I'm glad to hear from you. I am very similar and I have been meaning to post on your diary ever since you posted on mine way back when. I appreciate your posts on others' diaries too. Thanks for the well wishes. Maintenance is tough just like getting there. Great that there is such a community of support here. I look forward to crossing paths more when we each have a chance.

Day 2

Food
Eggs over easy and smoothie (banana, mango, yogurt, almond milk, protein powder, psyllium husk) and fish oil and flax seed oil supplement
Lunch was salad with chicken and light zesty Italian dressing
Dinner was the same as lunch with different greens and flax seed oil supplement
Snacks were smoothie (same as breakfast) and protein chips (Popcorners Flex Protein Crisps - not too bad tasting and not too bad for you)
Total calories in were 2247.

Exercise
Hip bridges, 70lb bb, 4 sets x 25 reps
3 sets band walks 13 reps each side
Standing calf and quad stretches, leg/hip swings
1 mile incline walking, 3.9mph, 4% incline
6 mile recovery/tempo run, 5.6mph, 1% incline
1.5 mile run, 0.5 mile walking outside with my dog
Total calories out were around 1701.

Sleep
7 hours 48 minutes

I felt good today again. I'm in another huge deficit. I might eat a couple hundred more calories before bed. I know a big feeling of hunger is right around the corner. That's when the demons will come out and urge me to binge along with a lot of other unpleasant feelings and thoughts. I don't feel hungry right now though. I will come back here and write when it gets rough. I'm aware that it'll happen so I'm preparing mentally as much as I can.

I ran with my dog outside again today and she pooped out at about 1.5miles. After I ran her, I did some yard work. Good weather we're having right now. Last night she slept like a rock after that 2 mile run during the afternoon. I forget that she's only 60 pounds so this is rough on her right now I'm sure. She will quickly adapt though, I have no doubt and will be a handful during down time. This morning she was running around like crazy.

Back is feeling OK, a little sore. I iced ot earlier and I will again tonight. I'm also wearing compression socks during the day when not running. They seem to help quite a bit. I felt good on my run today, I just didn't want to overdo it. Knees are holding up well. I think I'm coming out of these injuries OK knock on wood. Need to be careful I don't overdo it and re-injure myself. Hard for me to moderate.

Oh, good for you, Rob, to be rebooting! I think it must be the season for it - several of us have declared a reset recently.
and probably Amy
Yep, present and ready for action! :D
I really like the sound of your food - as you know I'm pretty ignorant about different kinds of exercise, so can't comment on those - apart from walking and running (and to totally endorse the need to go carefully and not re-injure yourself!).
What made you try the compression socks, and what benefit are you feeling from them?

I'm in another huge deficit. I might eat a couple hundred more calories before bed. I know a big feeling of hunger is right around the corner. That's when the demons will come out and urge me to binge along with a lot of other unpleasant feelings and thoughts.
I know the feeling. It's hard, especially when you want to lose weight. I also find it hard to "allow" myself unhealthy snacks to get my calories up but I try - if only to keep my food&health obsession level down. So true on the moderation!

Yep, present and ready for action! :D
I really like the sound of your food - as you know I'm pretty ignorant about different kinds of exercise, so can't comment on those - apart from walking and running (and to totally endorse the need to go carefully and not re-injure yourself!).
What made you try the compression socks, and what benefit are you feeling from them?

I'm glad you are here, Amy. I'm doing the salad thing for now. It's all I can muster under life's demands. The chicken is easy to throw in with pre-made salad kits. I toss the dressing that comes with the salads and use a lower calorie vinegar-based one. I did cook 10 bean soup yesterday in the pressure cooker for more plant based protein. I don't know if the compression socks are scientifically shown to help. I think some of the reasoning is that they help reduce swelling and improve recovery time. It may be a placebo effect though. They feel good and my legs do seem to feel better.

I know the feeling. It's hard, especially when you want to lose weight. I also find it hard to "allow" myself unhealthy snacks to get my calories up but I try - if only to keep my food&health obsession level down. So true on the moderation!

Yes, LaMa. I think this is where I get things wrong. I don't allow myself as much as I probably should on the better days, even healthy snacks just to get my calories up a little, and I don't make the connection with poor choices the following day.

I weighed 205.2 this morning. I can feel a transition to being in a deficit. I woke up this morning shortly after midnight and had the urge to get a snack which I avoided. The demons are coming out. I'm already struggling a little bit this morning. It'll be at least a week of this I think until I adjust to being in a deficit. Coffee and running help, also sleep. Going to push through.

This morning I realize I have more time and more energy. *I think* anyway re the energy. I don't quite know what to make of it and don't quite know what to do with myself. Just a week ago, I was eating more than I should, especially sugar from the frozen mango, and it was filling my time and basically distracting and perhaps numbing me to the feeling of needing or wanting to get more done. Not sure but I think I need to get used to feeling this way as part of living without using food as a crutch.

I'm not sure if I previously shared but I feed my dog using a bob-a-lot toy that dispenses her food one kibble bit at a time basically. It takes her 20-30 minutes to eat and she has to work for it. Sometimes I wish it was that simple for me too.

This morning I realize I have more time and more energy. *I think* anyway re the energy. I don't quite know what to make of it and don't quite know what to do with myself. Just a week ago, I was eating more than I should, especially sugar from the frozen mango, and it was filling my time and basically distracting and perhaps numbing me to the feeling of needing or wanting to get more done. Not sure but I think I need to get used to feeling this way as part of living without using food as a crutch.

I'm not sure if I previously shared but I feed my dog using a bob-a-lot toy that dispenses her food one kibble bit at a time basically. It takes her 20-30 minutes to eat and she has to work for it. Sometimes I wish it was that simple for me too.
Oh we do that too . Our dog has to work for all her food . Vet says she is a perfect weight . Mind you I don’t fancy knocking all my food out of a container using my nose lol

Maybe not my nose but I do enjoy food that requires "work": shrimp with the shell on, pistachios, chicken wings... It gives me another level of interaction which is somehow satisfying. Of course my general diet is so high-fiber it takes me around 25 minutes of continuous chewing to get it all down properly :)

I try really hard to eat my food as slowly as I can. One thing I am doing, Rob is eating more protein on high exercise days (golf) or the next day I want to stuff my face. It's hard to find the right balance that's for sure.

Day 3

Food
Eggs over easy and smoothie (banana, mango, yogurt, almond milk, protein powder, psyllium husk) and fish oil and flax seed oil supplement
Lunch was salad with chicken and tuna and light zesty Italian dressing
Dinner was salad with chicken and light zesty Italian dressing and flax seed oil supplement
Snacks were salad with light zesty Italian dressing, frozen mango chunks, protein chips and roasted seaweed
Total calories in were 2829.

Exercise
Standing calf and quad stretches
Leg/hip swings
1.2 mile incline walking, 3.9mph, 4% incline
4 mile recovery run, 5.4mph, 1% incline
Total calories out were around 879.

Sleep
5 hours 11 minutes

Really worn out today. My run was tough and I could only get through 4 miles. I laid down for a little bit this afternoon and felt really tired. Tried not to overeat and think I did OK. Still in a deficit. I'm fine with this although I'd like to have more energy for runs. I might have to eat more calories just so I have enough for long runs. A rest day will help. I'm uncertain about whether I'll go running tomorrow and where my calories will end up.

I don’t fancy knocking all my food out of a container using my nose
Might be a good basis for a diet?

I always make my dogs beg for treats, and they are pretty good at it!

I looked the bob-a-lot toy up, it does look like a good idea, but my dogs can tear any dog toy to shreds in minutes, how does it hold up to aggressive chewing?

It's great that you are feeling more energy, I think my living in a calorie deficit has raised my energy levels.

Back