just saying hi and a couple questions

JustJohn

Hey what's up guys? Obviously I am new here and I would just like to say hi to everyone.

So, my story is that I am 27 year old man, and am at or above 300 pounds, standing at 6 foot 2. Over the last four or five years I have gained a good amount of weight, due to becoming a dad and being comfortable with my significant other. I was around 200 or so pounds when we met. I was also a smoker and a heavy drinker, neither of which I do anymore.

Last week we decided together to start losing weight and getting in shape, so this past week I have completely changed my diet. I have eaten cheerios every morning around 9am, then around 11-12am/pm I will make a decent sized salad with onions, banana peppers, some tomato, and cucumber with maybe a teaspoon of italian dressing. I also either put a can of tuna on it or a filleted piece of chicken, cut into cubes. ( I slice the chicken in half so its multiple portions and less intake)

For dinner I will either have a salad again or I will eat a normal (smaller sized portion) dinner. For example a bowl of homemade stew a couple days ago.

Throughout the day I will snack on sunflower seeds(maybe once a day at about 1/2 a cup), a banana, 1-2 pieces of dark chocolate or celery with a little ranch. Now, I don't eat all of these throughout the day, its just what I have allowed myself to have if I feel like snacking, which unfortunately I almost always have the urge to pick at stuff or "graze" I guess lol.

This week was about changing my diet, and I plan on working out next week. I have a stair stepper machine that turns into a bike as well, and some dumbbells. I am going to focus mainly on cardio at this point.

I have also cut out all soda and "sugary drinks" and mainly drink bottled water or flavored seltzer.
--

My questions and concerns are:

1) In the morning when I eat cheerios I get an increased heart rate and we think it's due to the carbs, or I may possibly be diabetic at this point due to my poor dieting over the last 4 years. I have yet to see a Dr. and yes I know that I need to, I am just seeking advice here first but I will see a professional as well.

2) Will snacking throughout the day ruin my weight loss attempt? It isn't done all throughout the day but every now and then if I get a craving to eat I will get something very, very small from the list I made above.

3) What is a decent starting time(goal) to workout per day doing cardio?

4) And I know this varies per person and there is no definite answer, but I am just curious with this plan and if I stick to it, how long until I would see actual results, physically. I must say that for the most part, I already feel better, and more energized, but my appearance really matters to me and I would like to get back to how I looked previous to the abuse I put on my body.
--

I am sorry for how long this was but I am just trying to cover all my bases here, and thank you if you have read this far. I look forward to any advice and am open to changing anything I mentioned. I would however, like to stay away from any suppliments as I do have heart palpitations sometimes and try to stay away from anything caffeinated. Thanks again guys and I really appreciate you reading through this!

Hi john,
Good luck buddy, you've made some good choices there. I'll happily give you my general thoughts (all on the basis that you don't have any medical or health condition that would prevent you from doing it). Your lunch and dinner meals sound fine, I.e lots of salad and a good portion of protein (don't be afraid of a decent sized portion of chicken or tuna etc, a good large chicken breast) it won't slow weight loss. Also when you say salad, I'm assuming your talking about a decent sized salad (like a subway bowl) and not a handful. Salad is great way of packing in some good nutrition. If you were to swap out the cheerios for something with better nutritional benefits you'll find you'll be fuller for longer too like some whole grains or oats or eggs. Nuts and seeds are a great snack in the day but try having a big drink of water first because depending how much your drinking you may be more thirsty than hungry, but if you have nuts, just a few should be fine and just a couple of snacks, because 'grazing' will effect how quick you lose weight. If you schedule yourself and morning and afternoon snack it may be easier to create new habits that way too. Your 'go to' drink looks like it's water now which is great.
So far as exercise is concerned (bearing in mind the vast majority 80% of your weight loss will be determined by your nutrition not exercise), you said you have some dumbbell so I'd suggest a mix of interval training (to accelerate the fat loss a bit) and strength training. Strength training is what will make all the difference to how you look once the fat is gone and important in making you lose fat not muscle when losing weight. Try to make your workouts full body workouts too. I did a long (and slightly rambling post) here which may be of some help:

https://weight-loss.fitness.com/threads/my-transformation-pictures-story-and-tips.88117/

So far as how quick you'll lose weight that's individual but for age and weight I'd say it will happen pretty fast on that kind of plan so long as you don't cut your portions sizes down (you don't get fat on good nutrition, if you cut your portions down you'll be cutting all those good nutrients your body needs to burn that fat) . hope some of that helps. Good luck buddy, I'm sure there's much more advice on the way!

Thank you so much for the information! I was already considering switching out the cheerios for eggs, I just gravitated to the cheerios because they are "heart healthy" and I figured it would be an easy(ier) way to maybe help my cholesterol out. For my portion size on the salad I more or less eye it out but its alot of spinach(best comparison I can think of are the big bowls maybe you get from mcdonalds? Never had one from subway lol) and then I just top it with vegetables and for my protein on top its a chicken filet (half a breast) or a can of tuna(in water). I didnt want to eat the whole breast only because I didn't know if it would be
detrimental or not.

I appreciate the response and I am going to check out the other thread you have as well!

Hi John!

1) I would prefer porridge and eggs and 2 slices of brown bread instead of Cheerios in the morning, because it doesn't raise your blood sugar so high and doesn't cause you increased heart rate.
:dupe:NB! Too much sugar is not good, since it transforms to fat.

I recommend to eat everything, but in little amounts. Then your body is not going to strike.

Since your weight is 300 pounds, I recommend to consult with the doctor, since during your workouts your glucose level is raising in your blood and when you have diabetes or the risk of diabetes, the too high level of glucose in your blood can harm your kidneys.
Attention please with proteins, because too much proteins can also harm your kidneys.
:flame:Don't hurry up, because what's quickly gone, is quickly back. :p
You must stand for your aim!

2) Snacking is fine! All the snacks you mentioned: dark chocolate (cacao at least 70%) and nuts and almonds and seeds in little amounts are good. E.G. in every two hours.

3) Your workout time depends on your day plan. If you want to lose weight it is not recommended to eat at least 30 minutes before your workout or 30 minutes after workout.
Because, when you eat before, your stomach is full and you are training it bigger not leaner.
If you eat right away after the workout, your body is using the food for the energy, but if you don't eat, your body will take it from the fat of your body. And you will lose weight.
And don't do your workouts too late at night, because then it doesn't let you sleep.

4) The results are seen starting from a month till 6 month. You must stand for your aim!
I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK! YOU CAN DO IT!:rolleyes:

Hi John!

1) I would prefer porridge and eggs and 2 slices of brown bread instead of Cheerios in the morning, because it doesn't raise your blood sugar so high and doesn't cause you increased heart rate.
:dupe:NB! Too much sugar is not good, since it transforms to fat.

I recommend to eat everything, but in little amounts. Then your body is not going to strike.

Since your weight is 300 pounds, I recommend to consult with the doctor, since during your workouts your glucose level is raising in your blood and when you have diabetes or the risk of diabetes, the too high level of glucose in your blood can harm your kidneys.
Attention please with proteins, because too much proteins can also harm your kidneys.
:flame:Don't hurry up, because what's quickly gone, is quickly back. :p
You must stand for your aim!

2) Snacking is fine! All the snacks you mentioned: dark chocolate (cacao at least 70%) and nuts and almonds and seeds in little amounts are good. E.G. in every two hours.

3) Your workout time depends on your day plan. If you want to lose weight it is not recommended to eat at least 30 minutes before your workout or 30 minutes after workout.
Because, when you eat before, your stomach is full and you are training it bigger not leaner.
If you eat right away after the workout, your body is using the food for the energy, but if you don't eat, your body will take it from the fat of your body. And you will lose weight.
And don't do your workouts too late at night, because then it doesn't let you sleep.

4) The results are seen starting from a month till 6 month. You must stand for your aim!
I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK! YOU CAN DO IT!:rolleyes:

Hey I just saw this thank you so much! Currently I have a cold or something but I have been sticking to it, currently doing cardio for around 20 minutes and around 15 minutes of dumbbell 8,10,12 rep. I didnt realize how out of shape I was haha but I am staying strong! Thank you again!

Hey I just saw this thank you so much! Currently I have a cold or something but I have been sticking to it, currently doing cardio for around 20 minutes and around 15 minutes of dumbbell 8,10,12 rep. I didnt realize how out of shape I was haha but I am staying strong! Thank you again!

Hi John!

Nice to hear from you!
Cold can be sweat out with lots of water and herb tea drinking. It is good to react as your body demands. I mean by this, to follow your heart rate since you complained about it earlier.
Keep going with your cardio and dumbells. You're doing well!
But what about walking for 30-45 minutes? In a fresh air.
What kind of parts are problem areas of your body, that you want to work on?
I recommend doing all the workouts so that you don't have to push yourself to do them. It is good to do everything so that you can enjoy it!
Keep on going!

Hello and nice to hear from you!
The pains occur less when you start with some exercises. Right exercises help to relieve RA symptoms and help to improve your everyday functioning.
Before you start with exercises you must talk to your doctor.
Also, it is good to know the side effects of the Methotrexate. It is personal, what kind of side effects the medicine has on you.
Research shows that aerobic and strengthening exercises help to incorporate a mix of flexibility and a range of motion.
Taking into consideration all the above, I recommend walking for 45 minutes in fresh air and aerobic/strength 15-minute exercises mixture.

Back