Yoga

How would you suggest to fit a yoga program into a weeks cardio and training?

Would they go together well - maybe do it on a rest day?

They're doing clasees at our local Gym, in the membership price, so I thought I may as well :)

Thanks guys

Matt

Yoga focuses on developing the healthy mind and body with the help of the yoga practices. One of the best site which I am using to get the quality information's and about the products from the site yogasuppliesonline.com. They are really too good and they supplying the best quality of the yoga supplies.

Its good to practice yoga into a weeks cardio and training... but if you do yoga alone you don't need to do cardio or other exercises as yoga alone is enough to maintain or tone up your body. You can get lot of information on Internet how to do right yoga...

A few years back, I used to do this. I was in the gym 5-6 days a week and did about 5 yoga classes a week.

There are different forms of yoga which can suit your personality and your workout accordingly. For example, something like Restorative Yoga is great for relaxing and bringing yourself to a focus and calming down. It would not be advised just before a workout but would be excellent after a long hard week in the gym.

Something like Iyengar yogar needs muscle to hold poses (but not really the same muscles that you can work out on the resistance machines) it would be good just before a workout as it would be best to have energy to do the class- you need the energy in the same way that you would for a session lifting weights- better before cardio in order to get the most from it.

Something like Ashtanga is a fast flowing yoga- but you really need to master the basics. If you don't know the basics, start off with Hatha yoga and work your way up. (Hatha is normally quite slow so treat it as you would restorative in terms of where to place it but its not as relaxing as restorative in my opinion.) Ashtanga can in some classes lose out on the yoga side of things and people just move to fast to get any real yoga in. It becomes a poor attempt at aerobics, not getting the heart rate as high as a step class and not getting in as decent a yoga pose as a proper yoga class would so play it by ear, Ideally a more intense yoga but can be a waste of time if the teacher is no good. Vinyasa is a slower version which I would also put in this group, the teacher can really make all the difference.

Bikrum really needs a day to itself. Its about heating the room to a high temperature and working out sometimes in the nude. One theory is that you burn more calories doing this another is that you become more intuned with your body and the movements are easier, fact is you do need a good teacher and to be very much hydrated. Some yoga purists do not like drinking in classes as its supposed to destroy the "heat" in your torso/heart which yoga is designed to create, others don't mind but be aware that it can offend some teachers and even students- ask for advice first per each teacher.

Back