Working out during surgery recovery?

Question!

I have recently had surgery and haven't had to sit out going to the gym for a while to recover.

It was minor surgery and have had 3 weeks off work for the recover at this point.

I had an infected cist and abcess drained and removed, currently have a wound a good 2-3cms in size.

I am itching to get back to the gym, but a little nervous that doing so will slow my recovery or make things worse.

The wound is on my butt and fear that any exercise, even a bench press or exercise that doesn't work the area affected can still cause problems, ie through sweat bacteria causing infection or anything else.

Can anyone point my in the right direction to an article or give me good advice on how I should go about this.

A little bit of info on my work out and what I am looking for when I exercise! Basically, a Fitness trainer has given me body weight strength training, mostly working the legs, with an eye on weight lose, working the larger muscle groups with little rest and working fast to keep the heart rate up to burn more calories.

Diet has also gone a bit crap as I am getting bored sitting at home and just raid the fridge.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan.

If the surgery was just below the skin not into tissue, and the wound has sealed well I imagine you should just be looking at ensuring the area is well dressed, with some antiseptic in the dressing and well cleaned and redressed after training. I could easily be over simplifying this but the information you have given makes it appear this simple.
If doctors have said not to train, either don't or find another doctor who's more pro training for possible 2nd opinion.
If it is this simple you can get back to training at low intensity doing everything you are used to enjoying without risk of infection etc. If it isn't please advise.
There is a guy who comes here sometimes Jrahien who is brilliant on remedial work, if he disagrees with me, follow what he says every time.
Worth considering that I am not renowned for taking training breaks unless I have to. I do remember being discharged from hospital on one occasion being told to use a bus or taxi, not to walk home and take at least 2 weeks off the gym. I had no money with me so walked 4.5 miles home, got changed walked a further 3 miles to the gym to train, then walked back. This wasn't smart but that time I was absolutely fine and the operation had virtually no impact on training. Other times I have been similarly stupid and regretted it. I have learned by making mistakes so now I take the breaks when I know they are needed and keep going when I know I can.

thanks.

I asked my doctor yesterday, they said to not train for another couple of weeks. It was solely down to the area the wound is in and tends to be an area with high sweat/bacteria levels and that could cause problems.

So, I will have to find other ways to keep busy for the time being.

Back