Wing chun

Hey!

I am thinking about starting wing chun, and I am wondering if it would be a good choice to get in shape? Get some muscles overall etc.

I am a big believer that enjoyment of whatever activity you do is the key to fitness so with that respect yes. Compared to other Chinese styles, wing chun pales in comparison for overall fitness because by design, it doesn't require a lot of movement. Northern kung fu styles, because they use a lot of jump and other high kicks (generally) are probably the best for overall conditioning but there are southern kung fu styles that are nearly as physical and some, but not many, that also use high kicks.

Wing Chun is extremely effective for self defense/fighting 1) because it is a newer style 2) it uses direct movements.

If I had it all to do over, I would love to have studied Wing Chun (never a school near me).

As a traditional kung fu style you will find that Wing Chun, like all Chinese martial Arts has a wealth of health knowledge that is far superior than most other exercise systems...so in a nutshell, go for it!

Back