Will my leg ever be normal again?

I'm just a little frustrated over my right leg. In October of 2005 I broke my pelvis (fell off a horse, landed on my right leg badly which dislocated my right hip and broke the socket bone). I was in the hospital for a little under two weeks, had some surgery (with a bunch of screws) and was on crutches (with absolutely no weight bearing on my right leg) for 3 months. So obviously my right leg atrophied like crazy. So the very end of December I was able to limp around and in January I was walking kindof normally. By March I was able to jog slowly. I think it was april or so that I was able to kindof break into a slow run.

I started doing yoga in May and it has helped me tremendously! It has helped me get rid of a lot of pain by stretching the muscles and helped my flexibility. But I still can't touch my toes and sometimes if I go too far into a position (like the seated straddle) I get a bad pain where my injury was.

I get this terrible cramp in my right foot that I have never had before in my life (I didn't even know you could get charlie horses in your feet before). I guess I just don't understand why I still get this weird cramp. It seems to happen out of nowhere and the only thing that makes it go away is having someone lightly but firmly step on it with their foot.

Also, my right calf twitches like crazy literally every day. It doesn't matter what I do or don't do. I can have worked out, rode my horse, waitressed or just sat on my ass all day and either way it will twitch like crazy whether I'm standing, sitting or about to go to sleep. What is it doing? Is it the muscle repairing itself?

Ok, and please don't tell me to go to the doctor. I had to see this one doctor cause he was the only guy anywhere near me that specialized in my injury. He really was no help and his answer to all my complaints with muscle tightness were pills. Turns out all I needed for that was yoga.

What I really want is someone who also had a serious injury to tell me how long it took them for them to get whatever back to normal. It doesn't have to be a hip injury. Even if you just had to keep off your leg for a long time and it atrophied how long it took before your legs were even as far as strength.

Also, I am totally aware that I don't have it that bad. I'm not feeling sorry for myself or anything. Just a little frustrated as the circumstances.

~Nicole

Oh, forgot to mention. When I was in traction I had a bar through my right knee to keep my leg elevated. So obviously I have a crap load of knee soreness. I just started trying lunges, squats and both feel very funky with my knee so I don't use any weights. I'm just trying to get the motion down. So anyone with traction experience would be great too :)

~Nicole

All I can say is OUCH, the worst injuries I have ever gotten was a cracked head (5 times) , pulling my back muscle, and getting hit by a car which put a scar on my right knee (I was about 8). That taught me to look both ways LOL.

My suggestion: Rub some dirt on it....Just kidding I'm not a medical person so I can't help you, and you don't seem to like your doctor too much.

Yeah, from my past experiences doctors have always been useless. They are so afraid to treat people or just dont give a damn. You can't compare other injuries to your own so its pointless to ask. Certain parts of the body and organs(skin) heal faster than others. As for your calf twitching, that can be a side effect from some meds you are taking, i had to take steriods once when i was little because of a lung infection and my legs were shaky. Also the injury could have made you unknowingly change your posture, you could be walking on toes uknowningly which is causing your calf to get sore and maybe twitch.

Back