Wifes experience with gastric band vs sleeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintninjagc

Hi,

I just wanted to share our own experience with the gastric band / sleeve as im sure some people on this forum have had some experience with.

My wife is a military veteran suffering from PTSD, and schizophrenia. She has had a weight loss problem due to medications she has to take to keep her mental illness / depression under control. Thankfully, she has good results with the medication and is able to get both conditions under control and we are able to live a relatively normal married relationship.

The only side effect of this, has been the weight gain. What i think causes it, is that when you are depressed, you arent hungry, so the first sign of somebody becoming really depressed is loss of appetite, so what i think the medical industry tries to do, is turn on that part of the brain that makes you hungry and feel better.

She has gone down the path of the gastric band, after a dr's recommendation, explaining that it was lower risk, and a safer option. The trouble with it was the band doesnt actually stop you getting hungry, and you keep eating after 30 minutes or so when the food works its way through. You also end up unable to eat the foods you could eat before. You might not be able to eat chicken, or tomatoes, brocoli, or fatty foods. OR you might only be able to eat fatty foods !!! Its whatever your body agrees with after the band. So your nutrition is going to suffer and you wont end up loosing alot of weight.

After being told numerous times by her Dr. that the band could 'slip' but it was highly unlikely, we managed to track down many other people who had the band slip, and found out not only was it likely, but very likely. Her band had slipped, potentially causing a major medical problem and her Dr. was in a state of denial and wouldnt admit this, obviously this was going to require unpaid work on his behalf to fix.

She ended up finding a Dr who was sympathetic to her problem through her psychiatrist, who ended up doing the operation for free. There was a small hospital admission fee, and the private health costs were fully paid, unlike the other Dr who happily took our $5000 on top of the private health care we had.

He removed the band, and did the sleeve in ONE operation, and she has had total success with the new gastric sleeve, and can eat whatever she wants again.

She has had rapid weight loss over the several months after the operation and continues to see good weight loss. Ive done a short video explaining our experience. I've omitted her name etc for her own privacy, but this is her story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back