Which Sport or activity?

Hi....I am at a lose right now to come up with some idea of a sport or fitness activity that I can bust a sweat but still NOT hurt my back. I am with lower back problems.. still not healed..and in the process of working on it. At some point I must get back to activity..I'm only getting out of shape and atrophying in the meanwhile; even though back problems is more than a decent reason for hiatus. I've already doing yoga..(as best I can right now and some low impact calesthenics)...but looking I'm for something "sporty". Any ideas of what sport of fitness is good but not too detrimental for the back (when it gets better). While this in not something I can do immediately..its something I am looking into for down the road.

Kylee

I currently have two herniated discs in my low back that the doctor monitors quite often to make sure they don't get worse. Probably best to ask the doctor what you are allowed to do and see what limits they put on. I was restricted to basically swimming for awhile but since it is no better no worse I am allowed back on weights as heavy as I want as long as it doesn't hurt. So I am still with a herniation that may never heal itself but no restrictions placed in my case.

I would say swimming, elliptical trainer, they should be pretty safe.

not sure what kind of impact it would have on your back but soccer sounds like a good game to play. Maybe punch a boxing bag for 30 minutes? Sounds boring so to pass time put some music on

Thanks for replies so far. I think I'd try the swimming and the punching bag if I had one or maybe at some gym...but not the soccer.. :eek: I could see huge injury with that one....while I might get my back knocked ..back, into place ...I wouldn't bet on it..nope...I'll sit the contact sports out for now ;).

Kylee

Kylee, Try spinning classes or indoor cycling (not outdoor). The classes can be friendly competition while building your lower body muscles and cardiovascular system. The classes run shiort in some gyms (45 min), so it won't be so hard on your back. Also, you got do some serious ab/core exercises to help you back. There a number I can name off. Let me know if you are intersted in which.

Watch out for those flip turns if you;re going to swim. And you probably don't want to do butterfly. As for the bag, if you're generating any power, you're going to be using some of your back to produce it. Also, if you don't know how to throw a proper punch, you risk injury, so then you'd be put up for wrist/hand/arm related injuries with your back. Swimming is probably best. Low impact, low stree on the back, etc. The cycling sounds great as well, but personally, I don't like the whirr of thirty bikes going on at the same time, while it get's all nasty and smelly in the room. Just not very relaxing.

I have a lower spinal injury in the L5 area, and two at C3 and C4. When injury first happened I went to a sports doctor, one of the top in the country. I learned a lot from him. And he had me using wieghts in no time. The key is knowing what machines to work out on, and how to use free weights without hurting your back, but yes it can be done!

As for something sporty to do.... this is what I did. I bought myself a Mt. Bike and I had it customized. I had a riser bar put on it so that when I sit on the bike in my ride position I am not hunched over nearly as much as a regular position would place me. The straiter my back the safer it is for me in regard to my back. I also made sure that I got a bike that was fit for me. I had a shorter span so that my reach was not a issue either. So for me that put me in a 17 frame instead of a 18 or 19. I bought at my local bike store so that my individual needs, the quality of the bike, and any future work I needed would all be done appropriately. They know how to fit you to the bike and tell the guy flat out you have a back injury but still want to ride, he can hook you up!

I also added a rack in the back with saddles bags for gear and what not. I have a Trek and my first bike was a Gary Fisher which I have to admit I still miss dang it.

I ride trails that are rated a 1-2 and it is ok for me if a few parts are 3, but I never venture on a 3 or 4 because that would not be my fitness level, good back or not lol.

It is fun, great rush at times, but most of all it lifts my spirits just being out there. A lot of places are now turning their old train tracks into "Rails to Trails" and bikes are welcome, and the ride is great. The fitness is unbeatable, and the fact that you can ride at your pace is great too. You can even find local bike clubs that will ride basing groups on their levels, and rides are all told a level before hand, so you can plan accordingly. Well I hope this helps. If you want help finding your area info. PM me and I will help you out.

Taylor

PS whoever said don't ride out doors, I have to disagree strongly with them! Just get the right bike, and the right size, and check out your path, trail, road whatever.

Taylor00 said:
PS whoever said don't ride out doors, I have to disagree strongly with them! Just get the right bike, and the right size, and check out your path, trail, road whatever.

Totally. Stationary bikes seem so redundant.

Taylor00, that sounds quite amazing!. Its great that you've found something that works out for you. I sold my bikes a few years ago..no room for them.
I thought of jump roping...but prior leg injuries could be aggravated I think...might have to keep it gentle not to aggitate back?. I don't know it might be an idea. Its sweat/ cardio/weight-fat losing-maintainance in which I'm am really interested (minus hurting back of course). Laying around with back pain for two years off and on has earned me those luv-not handles...the sneaky kind that show up when you sit or bend (yyyuk). Thanks all for your idea so far.

Kylee

Kylee,

There are hanging racks you can get to hang your bike on a wall, or even from a cieling if you decide you want to go back to biking outdoors. Just though i would let you know.

Taylor

Thanks!...I had that at one time....if I ever get back into using a bike again..that is a good reminder.

Kylee

Back