Whats the best diet for someone with diabetes and high BP

Status
Not open for further replies.
In short, the key to achieving both is to adopt a diet that's low in simple/refined carbohydrates (cakes, pastries and white varieties of bread, rice and potatoes), while also remaining low in the consumption of salt and saturated animal fats.

To reduce the secretion of insulin, carbohydrate should be obtained from complex sources, such as beans, pulses and wholegrains, thus ensuring that glucose is released into the bloodstream at a more sustained level after digestion.

As for high blood pressure, the recommendation of a diet that's low in consumption of salt/sodium and saturated animal fat is best advised, as means of improving blood flow both from and back to the heart.

Granted, salt is important for helping to maintain the correct balance of electrolytes, but the body requires far less than it invariably receives on daily basis. As such, reducing consumption of salt will also assist.

In addition to reducing consumption of simple sugars, salt and saturated animal fat, on the assumption that it's permitted, the introduction of regular exercise alongside a calorie controlled diet will also assist in improving blood pressure. Equally, the measured consumption of healthy fats (oils, seeds, nuts and fish), will serve to improve levels of HDL cholesterol (healthy), helping to reduce levels of LDL cholesterol (un-healthy) and corresponding levels of high blood pressure in the process.

My father in law with type 2, lost two stone, and also lost his diabetes. It CAN be cured,by eating right, and losing weight. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Big Pharmas job,is to keep you ill, so they can make fortunes selling you not needed medications.

It is an interesting topic, and the UK Daily Mail has posted a recent article about a documentary called "Fixing Dad" which details a journey of 2 sons who wanted to help their Dad combat Diabetes. If you google "Fixing Dad" you can probably find it. I am currently getting my Masters Degree in Obesity Prevention and Management, and as someone who has lost 150 pounds myself, I understand the every day struggles. Bottom line? I know of a system that can WORK to prevent and possibly reverse the ravages of Diabetes 2.

Thanks Mr. Nice Guy for the input. Fixing dad would have been a great name for me. I started the Atkins diet on the 1st. Like this thread states Im diabetic and have high blood pressure.
My life style has been care free for the most part, and my weight shows it, I'm guessing around 245. I have an old scale and I really don't trust it.
Like I said I have both diabetes and high blood pressure, and I have been monitoring both closely sense I started this diet. I'm 64. Being in phase 1 I hope to drop some weight fast and adjust my carb distribution as I go along. Right? Or just do it and it will work out in the long run.

I just took my blood sugar and its 83 very low for me and it came on me quickly. Maybe im better off talking with my dr. First.

A sudden change in diet will send your numbers low in this case, the change needs to be gradual so your medication can be adjusted over time.

I wanted to regulate my sugar with food. Eating a cracker when my level is low. The thing is it dropped so fast and low it scared the daylights out of me. Atkins phase 1 calls for 11 carbs, i need to maybe up that and eat more often. I am not giving up on myself. Thank you so much for your post Trusylver. I got a digital scale and was very disappeared that after 10 days I lost 2 Lbs. But..... Again thanks Trusylver.

The best foods for diabetes are most often whole foods that are not processed, such as fruits and vegetables. Including these extra-healthy power foods in your diet will help you meet your nutritional needs as well as lower your risk of diabetes complications such as heart disease.

If you already follow a healthful meal plan filled with whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, and lean protein, congratulations! You're on your way to a long, healthy life and are taking a major step in controlling your weight and blood sugar levels.

Hello Guys!!

I have thyroid problem and due to which I gain 20 kg more weight. Please suggest me some diet plan and exercises to reduce my weight:(

Hey Martina! What are you currently doing? There is so much you can do. As far as working out, the best thing you can do is find exercise that you enjoy. As a former personal trainer I found that my clients had best results when they found a type of exercise that they enjoyed rather than forced exercise. Do you like to walk? Dance? Do you like doing things alone or in groups. Get clear on what it is you enjoy and what doesn't sound like a win for you. Then the nutrition part. What do you currently do for nutrition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back