What's meditation for?

Hi! I'm going to be starting high school next fall, and I would like to start martial arts as well. I've always had an interest in it, but my parents aren't huge fans of the "meditation" part. Could anyone tell me what the meditation is for, and what it does for you? Thank-you!

Seems that you've seen too many episodes of Kung-Fu.

while meditation is a valid way to focus your mind and clear the clutter, its not a mandatory aspect of martial arts.
Some schools might incorporate it, but honestly the 4 different arts and teachers I've had, none included meditation.

Try this link for more information on what meditation actually is about:

Thanks for your response! Well that's interesting to learn, where I live there's this small little martial arts studio in our one street downtown. When I get back home from vacation I'm planning on checking it out. :)

Meditation is a practice that can be employed for anything from relaxation to achieving enlightenment. Meditation is the art of stopping thought, when thought stops a tremendous amount of energy(kundalini) located in your coccyx(tailbone) is released. This energy then proceeds up the spine and sets into greater activity each of the energy centers(chakras). It continues its path to the crown center on the top of your head and awakens areas of the mind that may have been dormant. The purpose of this energy awakening and moving up to the top of the head is for the continuing evolution of the human species. Hope this helps you understand a little of what meditation is.

Don't be put off by talk of Chakras and coccyx etc., even if you're skeptical of that philosophy, meditation is revitalizing. It helps you relax and release stress. By "unclenching" your muscles and breathing deeply, blood carrying oxygen flows more freely into your muscles, your blood pressure can drop and and your aches and pains can lessen. I'm not sure how the mental rejuvenation works, but I know I feel rested after just a few minutes of quasi-meditation. I say quasi, because I don't officially meditate, I just have a "relaxation" period (relaxing, deep breathing, silent mantra) before yoga and karate that sure feels like meditating.

Back