What is Pilates?

Oblivion02 said:
What is Pilates and in what way does it help people?

http://www.winsorpilates.com/index.php?acnt=GHWZZ01H

You use your own body resistance and work using your "core" muscles. If you want a long, lean body this is for YOU!!!

i love pilates!! it improves your balance as well as builds strong lean muscles. you will lose inches fast when you first start doing it especially in the first 30 days (or I did)

It is a way of strengthening the body and increasing mobility. It is an excellent form of exercise but it has become bastardised as quickly as it has become popular.

Also, the people who do it often have a very smug attitude about them as if they are doing the BEST exercise- much like yoga.

It is surprisingly difficult esp. for bodybuilders but its benefits are huge.

If you are gonna do it though do it 121 with an instructor who did at least 6 months full time training as well as yrs of personal practise. There are too many wkend workshop instructors out there.

BTW Patrick Swayze does Pilates!

Pilate exercises focus on strengthening the abs and buttocks. They also increase flexibility as well as strengthen the muscles and improve posture.

Pilates Exercise and Equipment - What is Pilates

Hello Oblivion2,

My wife who is a certified dance teacher and Pilates teacher have created a website which gives a lot of information about Pilates and answers a lot of questions.

The website is .

Gregg

Leaner

Pilates lengthens you muscles which give you a leaner look. People like Charlize Theron and Demi Moore speak very high of Pilates. Pilates was designed by a dancer - again, leaner and more flexible. You do not really realize how much your body is working until the next day ;) ...

The secret is to have the right position. Always imagine pulling your navel in towards your vertebrate and then up:p Keep you shoulders relaxed.

Back