What is a good size dumbbell to get, dont want an entire set.

I dont want to buy an entire set of dumbbells. I dont want to "bulk up", just tone my muscles. What are some good sizes to get? I know it depends on the person size, muscles, etc. I can curl 25lb dumbbells 8 reps. I would also like to work on my chest and triceps. Is there a rule of thumb in buying dumbbells or do most people just purchase a set?

Last edited:
well not knowing exactly what you are capable of doing, I'd suggest you find weights that are a challenge for you to do now, and some that you can't do yet. Because even though you don't "want to bulk" you will still eventually be able to do more, need the challenge, and you still won't "be big" per se.

I also feel that you may want to think about doing a full body workout instead of focusing on only certain parts of your body. Balance is key :)

Another option is an "adjustable" set that works with the same plates as barbells. But changing out the weights is quite a pain in the buttocks. I eventually bit the bullet and bought a fairly comprehensive "fixed" set, with weights ranging from 3 to 60 lbs. Would like to purchase some heavier ones for deadlifts and calf raises, but they get more expensive as they get heavier.

Another option is an "adjustable" set that works with the same plates as barbells. But changing out the weights is quite a pain in the buttocks. I eventually bit the bullet and bought a fairly comprehensive "fixed" set, with weights ranging from 3 to 60 lbs. Would like to purchase some heavier ones for deadlifts and calf raises, but they get more expensive as they get heavier.

I have a set of the adjustable and they are nice, but like jbf said, it can be a pain changing weights.

If you don't want adjustable, check out a used shop or craigslist...probably find some stuff pretty reasonably priced.

I have a set of the adjustable and they are nice, but like jbf said, it can be a pain changing weights.

If you don't want adjustable, check out a used shop or craigslist...probably find some stuff pretty reasonably priced.

well you could always do the Powerblocks, or the Ironmasters. They are easy to adjust quickly, but they aren't cheap. I have seen them on Craigs list for less, but still more than you would probably pay for regular dumbbells.

I have a set similar to these. Does take time to switch out the weights though.

If the link doesn't work, it is because it has the word d i c k in the link and it might sensor it.

Back