What equipment should I get?

I recently got a new, higher paying job, and I have some money to throw around. I've also got a lot of room in my unfinished basement which would make for a good home gym, pretty spacious. I really HATE going to the gym, especially now with the warm seasons incoming and a lot of crowding.

So I was thinking of the basics I'd need, even though I have more cash, cost is still an issue, so what I'm looking for is mainly multi-purpose, cost-efficient stuff. Here's a list of what I'm thinking (already have a treadmill).

-Barbell. Is there a specific brand/type I should get? It needs to be light enough to use for lunges and the bench press, but sturdy enough to support deadlift and squat weight.

-Dumbell set. Though I don't support the Bowflex equipment, they did have an interesting looking dumbell rack setup, any opinions on that or other stuff?

-Bench. There's probably a million suitable pieces to satisfy this bare requirement, but do you know of a sturdy bench that can be shifted into an incline?

-Squat rack. I can use this for chin ups, dips, squatting, etc. It shouldn't be too expensive, pretty basic framework.

-Weights! What's a cost-efficient weight set for use with the barbell? My gym has a seperate bar for the deadlift weights, which are also different from the bench bar/weights. Is this simply variability, or is it an actual exercise/safety issue?

I know machines are frowned upon, but does anyone have any reccomendations for stuff like the lat pulldowns, etc.?

I don't expect this one post to satisfy my answers, obviously I have to do 90% of the searching myself, but if anyone with home equipment or experience in the subject can shed some insight or offer good brands, it'd be much appreciated.

-Dumbell set. Though I don't support the Bowflex equipment, they did have an interesting looking dumbell rack setup, any opinions on that or other stuff?

I've been wanting a set of adjustable dumbbells for a while, but I couldn't justify spending hundreds of dollars on the , , or .

The selecttech go up to 50 pounds and cost $400.

There are several powerblock models, the ones I would need to allow enough room for growth go up to 90 pounds and cost $588 + shipping.

The ironmaster cost $429 + shipping, and go up to 75 lbs.

If you are set in getting one of these adjustable dumbbells, the ironmaster are the best value.

I ended up buying standard dumbbell handles and 150 lbs worth of plates, all for $113 including tax.

I'll let someone else answer your other questions.

Last edited:
The most basic stuff you need:
1. power rack - I found a local guy who made me one to my specs for a couple hundred dollars, or if you can't find a local exercise equipment fabricator, you might try any machine or welding shop and see if they can make one for you.
2. olympic weight set (most sporting goods stores have a 300 pound set for around $100) - these should be good enough for any barbell exercises and should last the average guy a lifetime, at least until you need more than 300 pounds, then you can add on.
3. dumbells: adjustable, fixed, quick change, whatever you can afford. Fixed are OK to start, the lighter ones are cheap and as you get stronger and need heavier ones, you can add on later. The Iron Master look like best quick change ones, or you can do as the other poster suggested and buy the adjustable set from your local sporting goods store.

I looked at the links you posted and you're correct - Ironmaster is the best, I think.

I also checked out the Olympic weights, and am still looking around for the best deal.

I've yet to find a bench that can be adjusted to an incline though. Does anyone where to get one, if you can?

I looked at the links you posted and you're correct - Ironmaster is the best, I think.

I also checked out the Olympic weights, and am still looking around for the best deal.

I've yet to find a bench that can be adjusted to an incline though. Does anyone where to get one, if you can?

I got my weights at Sports Authority. A 300lb set for $109.

Well, I got a Body-solid GFID-71, rock solid and will support 1000lbs. Is it overkill? Perhaps, but it should last me all my life.

For the rack, I've always been fond of the powetec cage w/ high/low pulley station for $699 at bodybuilding.com. It has dips bars (support 400lbs) and pull-up bars and the barbell station will support 1500lbs.

some of my friends have this and they love it. fitness aerobic step deck and incline flat bench

i'm also thinking of purchasing the bowflex adjustable dumbbells, but i'm curious as to the feel when lifting with them

Last edited:
i'm also thinking of purchasing the bowflex adjustable dumbbells, but i'm curious as to the feel when lifting with them

They only go to 52.5 and I'm already doing 50lbs for inclines, so I'd grow out of them too fast.

I'd recommend powerblocks, or getting long std bars and std plates.

They only go to 52.5 and I'm already doing 50lbs for inclines, so I'd grow out of them too fast.

I'd recommend powerblocks, or getting long std bars and std plates.

thx cynic, yah i've been debating on the powerblocks. the most weight I push with no spot is around 65-75 dumbs for incline, shoulder and flat so I may justhave to put up with going over to the gym after work still.

thx cynic, yah i've been debating on the powerblocks. the most weight I push with no spot is around 65-75 dumbs for incline, shoulder and flat so I may justhave to put up with going over to the gym after work still.

If you're looking for something for home and can't swing the cost of powerblocks, there is nothing wrong with std DB bars and plates.

Get the long bars, that can hold 6-7 10lb plates/side for 120-140lbs/hand.

Then you're plate setup should be:

4x2.5lbs (incremental).
4x5lbs (incremental)
the rest would be 10lbs plates.

The amount of time taken to change plates would constitute your rest period.

I'd get the bars either at "Play It Again Sports" or online, where ever you can find long bars. The plates you're better off getting locally so you aren't paying shipping costs.

Back