What do you think of a HIIT with 20 sec intense alternating with 10 sec slow?

I'm quite a trained person on the stationary bike with strong muscles in the thighs developed from doing it for over 5 years. 1 and a half months ago I read about HIIT and have been doing an ultra intense form of it ever since then - 20 seconds all out (36 rotations), then 10 second slow and filling up my lungs as much as I can during these 10 seconds. I repeat this for 20 minutes for a total of 40 HIIT cycles. I actually feel DEAD tired after only 10-12 minutes, which is an indication that I'm actually doing HIIT, but I extend it till 20 minutes using my willpower and my already trained body.

Is this a bad plan for the long term? The HIIT plans I read up on the internet usually involve twice as long rest periods as the burst periods

I'm no expert on HIIT, but from what I have read, rest periods are usually 60 - 90 secs with 30sec bursts of high intensity. That is what is suggested anyway.

You must be pretty damn fit man, huge efforts on the stationary bike! As for whether or not it is bad for you in the long-term, I have no clue and I hope someone else on this forum knows a little something about HIIT.

It sounds like you're basically doing tabata training, except tabata is usually only 8 cycles of 20 sec/10 sec. Usually the longer you want your interval workout to be, the longer the rest intervals are, as ICE said above.

"when you say you take in as much breath as you can," be careful not to hold your breath. That is bad for you in the long run, and will hamper your VO2. Slow, controlled is the gaol. but obviously with the HIIT, or tabata, you get totally winded.

Just from your descroption it felt like maybe you take a big as you can in breath and make the most of it. Not good, let that breath flow, and control it as you can.

Just a thought
FF

"when you say you take in as much breath as you can," be careful not to hold your breath. That is bad for you in the long run, and will hamper your VO2. Slow, controlled is the gaol. but obviously with the HIIT, or tabata, you get totally winded.

Just from your descroption it felt like maybe you take a big as you can in breath and make the most of it. Not good, let that breath flow, and control it as you can.
FF

Sorry, my description was not correct. I meant to say I take LONG breaths in and out during the 10 second period. I don't hold breath.
I have realized that I have been breaking my body to the point of no repair. Since the past one week I kept getting extremely drowsy after the HIIT despite having a good night's sleep. And now I caught a very severe cold. I'm very immune to cold even in the flu season, I have been cold free for more than 3 years. So that shows I must reduce the intensity as my body is unable to recover fully after the sessions. I will change my plan to 30 second-30 second.

that's good to hear. I invisioned you tipping over dead at some point.

What is your goal? Why is your fitness routine so narrow (only on that bike) and shallow (only HIIT or whatever we decided it was)?

How about expanding your activities?

What is your goal? Why is your fitness routine so narrow (only on that bike) and shallow (only HIIT or whatever we decided it was)?

How about expanding your activities?

By goal is to lose my stubborn pot belly which is causing a havoc of problems like insulin resistance, bald head, hearattack risk etc. I have been doing steady state cardio on the bike for many years. I used to do for 45 minutes on the bike, and then weights. I used to do "normal" interval training on the bike- with 4 minutes 90-100 rpm alternating with 2 minutes 65-70 rpm. I don't do treadmill because it is hard on the shine bone. I didn't lose the pot belly one bit. I stumbled upon HIIT on the internet 1.5 months ago and then started doing the most intense version of it conjurable, doing it EVERYDAY and broke my body. And what sucks the worst, is that my belly circumference actually INCREASED by 2 cm since before I started the HIIT. I think it is because of excessive cortisol from overtraining and also due to my increased hunger from HIIT and eating more.

I find that one round of Tabata is not enough to give me a work out. So I simply repeat rounds of Tabata until I reach 20 minutes duration.

Back