What do you consider a sport?

Hey everyone!

So I've been a dancer for about 16 years now and recently starting doing aerial dance. Because I have been so immersed in the dance world, and all aspects of it, I believe that dance should be considered a sport. It takes real athletic ability, has levels, and competitions. What do you all think about what makes a sport and if you would consider dance a sport? I'm really curious about other opinions and trying to write about it for a class I'm taking. Thanks!

Having done ballet and contemporary dance and a few sports I would say dance is generally not a sport, and was glad of it.
There are many activities including types of work requiring physical prowess. These aren't sports due to lack of the completion element.
Dance, work etc. are places where you work together as a whole not just your own team.
Some dance etc. does have contests etc. especially with the raft of talentless contests on TV that I hate with a passion.
I hope dance and sport remain seperate even though one can support the other so well.
Interesting to see what others think too.

Last edited:
I can definitely see where you and many people are coming from when saying dance is and should remain separate from being a "sport." However, when you say dance is a place where you work together as a whole not just your team is not always the case. I belonged to my studio's company for several years and we would participate in many competitions around the country, working just for our team or our company to outscore other competition teams, which is very similar to just about every sport where one team works to prove that they can outscore the other team and then win. I'm not saying that this makes dance a sport, but I think it's something to consider.

I agree with you on the competition front, but that was the side to dance I stayed away from and didn't like the idea of. Judging a performance is very personal and I don't like the idea of that, same to be fair as gymnastics etc. I prefer the simpler goal scoring, weight lifted, first to cross the line style.
There are many things that are officially sports I don't think of that way. There is skill to them all but that doesn't make it fit my impression of a sport. I am only right in my mind of course, hence I find this type of thread interesting.

A sport is a competition that combines athleticism and strategy.

Pure athletic events like sprinting, shot put, weightlifting are not sports because there is no strategy involved.

Games like poker and Monopoly involve no athletic ability and obviously are not sports.

Golf, racing, boxing, wrestling, and bowling involve just enough strategy to be considered sports.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, soccer is not a sport.

A sport is a competition that combines athleticism and strategy.

Pure athletic events like sprinting, shot put, weightlifting are not sports because there is no strategy involved.

Games like poker and Monopoly involve no athletic ability and obviously are not sports.

Golf, racing, boxing, wrestling, and bowling involve just enough strategy to be considered sports.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, soccer is not a sport.

Yea i completely agree Dani that sports is a competions where you always excel for win. the only feeling that a sports person has is competitiveness. The dance is a mixture of art, culture and emotions . Here you are expressing your feelings and brings our emotions in the dance form.But in certain aspects dance can be called as sports

Back