What can I do at

the age of 52 to keep fit? I can't run because I have arthritis in vertebrae L4. I also have Scoliosis of the spine, I can bend ok but it is uncomfortable. Am I a total 'write off'? I'm not fat, in fact I'm only 11 stone and 5ft 11inch but I would also like a flat stomach again.

Pete
St Helens
UK

Pete, Try a recumbent bicycle. You sit upright, so there's no stress on the back and bicycling is less stressfull on the knees than most cardio exercises.Cliff

cdeutsch said:
Pete, Try a recumbent bicycle. You sit upright, so there's no stress on the back and bicycling is less stressfull on the knees than most cardio exercises.Cliff

Cheers Cliff, you know what, I'll have a crack at making one. A friend of mine has dozens of old bike frames, it will be a nice little challenge welding it together. It would be choice to follow a set construction manual though. All the same thanx......Pete

Yes you can stay fit

Despite popular belief, we are able to stay active in life despite our inability due to injury or disease. Think about it, the Special Olympics, the para/quadraplegic competitors in the world, all do something to stay fit. Water fitness or aquatics training as well as a stretching and flexibility program is something I would recommend for you. Check your local area and find one quickly and get started, in the meantime, stretch morning and night with a slight discomfort, not pain as your guideline. Look for gradual improvement in ability to move further and work up to 15 sec increments with a total time of 2 - 3 min to start off, after that 15 sec increments up to 5 - 10 min, and increase as needed. Once you have increased cardio, built up strength from water fitness and improved in flexibility, add weight training for building bone density and increasing muscle tone.

Reggie
301 383 - 2037

I also forgot, where i work (at a YMCA) we have low impact fun group fitness classes for people over 50. It accomodates everyone in the class... we have had people in wheelchairs, people doing the same class movements sitting in chairs. check out a YMCA near you for more details good luck

Punching Fitness

Pete said:
the age of 52 to keep fit? I can't run because I have arthritis in vertebrae L4. I also have Scoliosis of the spine, I can bend ok but it is uncomfortable. Am I a total 'write off'? I'm not fat, in fact I'm only 11 stone and 5ft 11inch but I would also like a flat stomach again...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

You can use low impact punching activities for fitness :D. Several types of equipment make this easy for the Home: Shadow Boxing, the Double End Bag, the Speedbag (Speedball in UK) and HeavyBag

Shadow Boxing

Stand in a boxing stance and punch to a reflection of yourself SLOWLY. Great for a warm up for other activities.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Punching a Double End Bag Could be a low impact activity for punching in the home

Double End Bag information on RossBoxing Forum: Member Post
( See second post by "Dazzle")

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

SpeedBag Punching ( Speedball Punching)

Fairly inexpensive and easy to use, the speed bag fits perfectly in the home environment. It is easy on the back, and great for the arms and shoulders. Also can be used for cardio if you punch 3 minutes or more....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Several people mention riding stationary cycles. You could join a stationary cycle with a speedbag ("speedball") and get a totally body workout. Here is How.

Punch & Ride

( scroll down this link page to see Benefits of Punch & Ride
workouts)

As for Fitness Sitting Down, You can also punch in a wheelchair. (You don't have to stand up to hit the bag)

** Wheelchair & Speed Bag **

See a video clip of speed bag from a wheelchair. ( see clip titled "Music #4" below..)

SpeedBag and Rehabilitation
Talk about spine problems... Here is an article about using the speedbag as a rehabilitation activity after a Cervical Laminectomy.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Heavy bag ( a little harder on a bad back. Stand straight and go easy..)

Punching is a simple and inexpensive home activity.

Back