What about kids?

jdi1

ok, im 14 years old right now and i havnt started any "lose fat quick" things, i weigh 240 lbs and gaind 10 lbs the past 2 weeks! im really worried and i have no idea what to do, i cant get myself motivated and sumtimes wen i actually try to lose weight i forget while im in school at lunch and buy those extra chips or wut ever, i need sum info. really bad :( plz can ne 1 give me ne good info about how to lose weight - also im 5'8-10 havnt really looks but that might help u guys c how freaking fat i am :(

firstly, this is the diary section and i dont know if many people are going to see your post unless they have a diary going. did you post in the newcomer section? are you male or female?

Sounds like you really need help.First of all,I would like to be frank with you - 240 pound is a very large weight for 14 year old :( .Secondly,I am not sure you can gain all this weight by just eating the wrong lunch.I think it is just a small part of the problem.What you should do is 1) ask your parents to bring you for the consultation with the doctor.You have to check if everything is OK with you hormone levels and etc.2)Ask your parents to bring you for the consultation with good nutritionist.He will make a plan for you of diet and exercise based on your individual needs.It is great that you came to realisation that you need to have a major change in your life style,but,please,don't do anything silly,like starving yourself.Do things right,ask for doctor's help.And,yes,the truth is,if you don't take care of your weight right now it will be harder and harder to do as the years go by.Good luck to you! :)

k

hey coco, well i know that the lunch thing is small but i really dont eat all that much bad stuff like chips and pop, and also it is going to be very embaressing to talk to my mom, parents divorced, and also i dont feel like going through the time to talk 2 doctors if i can do everything myself, does the atkins diet work? also do u know of any good diets or ne thing that will help, im taking any suggestions that i can do on my own. Also for some reason i dont look as big as i weigh...

Last edited:
I don't think that you necessarily have to go visit two doctors to get this all figured out. I know it might be hard, but do try to talk to one of your parents about it. It would be much better to have someone on your side (especially if they do the cooking around home) and to have support as you go through this.

If you have a family doctor, I would recommend going to them. I know that you want to try to do things on your own, but they can help you determine some healthy things for you to be doing (everyone is different), and cocogirl is right, it could be hormonal levels. Something like hypo/hyperthyroidism or anything like that can really shift around your metabolism and affect your weight and energy. Things like that aren't a quick fix and may need to be medicated - I know, b/c my boyfriend has hypothyroidism... If you can't do that, maybe just try the school nurse. They have tons of information and i'm sure would be glad to help you get started.

As far as some advice, it all depends on what you want to do. I would suggest eating healthy - lots of veggies, whole grains, good amounts of protein. Variety is good! I typically try to eat between 1200-1400 calories per day, and also eating small meals throughout the day has helped. Small breakfast, a piece of fruit or granola bar around 10, lunch, snack around 3, and dinner. I don't recommend Atkins, because you aren't getting a good balance of all the food groups and while it seems to be a quick fix, the weight comes back and you don't stay healthy.

Exercise will totally help anything you do. there are lots of suggestions posted in the forums, find something you like and will get excited about doing, and do it =) Remember, this isn't going to be an overnight process. This is a journey, and we are here to help you!

Welcome to this forum, and I hope that you can find the support to keep positive about who you are and where you are headed =)

Dont be ashamed of your weight,..if you cant talk to mom, find somebody that you can talk to. Teenage years are hard enough, never mind doing it with a weight issue. You will have more success if you dont have to tackle this issue alone.

Gaining 10 lbs in two weeks if you havent been really pigging out could be an indicator that something is going on health wise. I agree about seeing a doctor, just to make sure all is ok. I also have hypothryoidism ,,..and at a drop of a hat I could put on 10-15 lbs and l would try like crazy and not take anything off. For me getting it alls straightened out has been what made dieting for me work.
Going on any fad diet is very dangerous at your age,...as your body is still growing, and you need proper nutrients. Get cleared by the doctor and then get reffered to a nutritionist. Best thing at your age is excersize, and cut out the junk.....that youthful metabolism will drop that weight.

Good luck

thanks, and i think i will talk to sum1, but that hyper thing sounds funny and im going to do sum studying on that, 1 thing that i have a problem with is getting to the exercise, i play alot of video games, and usualy i dont get active during the winter, it;s very difficult to get outside and do sumthing, but i think ill build off this thread to make a diary, but hopefully soon i can get a bike with my bday cash, jan. 17, and some weights, i think ill start to get motivated and not so lazy and mopy all the time, so ill start the diary from here.

Back