Weight loss: 6 strategies for success

hadded

These proven weight loss strategies are recommended
and improve health

Hundreds of fad diets, weight-loss programs, and outright tricks promise quick and easy weight loss. However, the basis for successful weight loss remains a healthy calorie-controlled regimen combined with increased physical activity. In order to lose weight successfully in the long term, you must make permanent changes to your lifestyle and health habits.

How do you make these permanent changes? Consider these six strategies for successful weight loss.

1. Make sure you're ready for it​

Long-term weight loss takes time, effort, and a long-term commitment. While you don't want to put weight loss off indefinitely, you should make sure you're ready to make permanent changes to your eating and activity habits. Ask yourself the following questions to help you determine your readiness:

• Am I excited to lose weight?
  • Am I too distracted by other stresses?
  • Do I use food as a way to beat stress?
  • Am I ready to learn or use other strategies for coping with stress?
  • Do I need other support — either from friends or professionals — to manage stress?
  • Am I willing to change my eating habits?
  • Am I willing to change my activity habits?
  • Do I have the time to spend making these changes?

Talk to your doctor if you need help dealing with stressors or emotions that seem to be getting in the way of your preparedness. When you're ready, you'll find it easier to set goals, maintain commitment, and change habits.

2. Find your inner motivation​

Nobody can make you lose weight. You should make changes to your diet and exercise to satisfy yourself. What will give you a strong motivation to stick with your weight loss plan?

Make a list of what's important to you to help you stay motivated and focused, whether it's an upcoming vacation or better general health. Then find a way to make sure that you can draw inspiration from your own motivational factors during moments of temptation. You might want to put an encouraging note to yourself on the door of your pantry or fridge, for example.

While you have to take responsibility for your own behavior to lose weight successfully, you can benefit if you get appropriate support. Choose supportive people who will encourage you in positive ways, without shame, embarrassment, or discouragement.

Ideally, find people who listen to your concerns and feelings, spend time exercising with you or creating healthy menus, and share the priority you have placed on developing a healthier lifestyle. Joining a support group can feel more accountable, giving you a powerful motivation to stick to your weight loss goals.

If you prefer to keep your weight loss plans private, be responsible for yourself by regularly measuring your weight, logging your diet and exercise progress in a logbook, or tracking your progress with digital tools.

3. Set realistic goals​

It may seem obvious that realistic weight-loss goals should be set. But do you really know what is realistic? In the long run, it's best to aim to lose 1 to 2 pounds (0.5 to 1 kilogram) per week. Generally, to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week, you need to burn 500 to 1,000 calories more than you consume daily, by following a low-calorie diet and getting regular physical activity.

Depending on your weight, 5% of your current weight may be a realistic goal, at least as an initial goal. If you weigh 180 pounds (82 kilograms), that's 9 pounds (4 kilograms). Even this level of weight loss can help reduce the risk of chronic health problems, such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

When you set goals, think about both process and outcome goals. “Walking every day for 30 minutes” is an example of the goal of the operation. "Losing 10 pounds" is an example of a score goal. You don't have to have an outcome goal, but you must define process goals; Because changing your habits is a key factor in losing weight.

4. Eat more healthy food​

It should include a new approach to eating with the goal of losing weight - reducing total calories. But cutting calories doesn't mean giving up taste, satiety, or even the ease of meal prep.

One way to cut calories is to eat more plant foods, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Be diversified to reach your goals without giving up taste or nutrition.

Start your weight loss plan by following these tips:

• Eat at least four servings of vegetables and three servings of fruits daily.
  • Replace refined grains with whole grains.
  • Use modest amounts of healthy fats, such as olive oil, vegetable oils, avocados, nuts, nut butters, and nut oils.
  • Limit sugar as much as possible, except for the natural sugar found in fruit.
  • Choose low-fat dairy products and lean meat and poultry in limited quantities.

5. Stay active​

While you can lose weight without exercising, regular physical activity with calorie restriction may help you lose weight. Exercise may help burn extra calories that you can't lose with diet alone.

Exercise also has many health benefits, including improving your mood, strengthening your cardiovascular system, and lowering blood pressure. Exercising may also help maintain weight loss. Studies show that people who maintain long-term weight loss do regular physical activities.

The number of calories you burn is dependent on the frequency, duration, and intensity of your activities. One of the best ways to lose body fat is to do steady aerobic exercise, such as brisk walking, for at least 30 minutes most days of the week. Some people may need more physical activity to lose weight and maintain that weight.

Any extra movement helps burn calories. Think about ways you can increase your physical activity throughout the day if you are unable to exercise on a certain day. For example, you can go up and down the stairs several times instead of using the elevator, or you can stop at the end of the shopping aisle.

6. Change your point of view​

It's not enough to eat healthy foods and exercise for a few weeks or even months if you want successful long-term weight management. These habits should become a lifestyle. Lifestyle changes begin with an honest look at your eating patterns and daily routine.

After assessing your personal challenges to losing weight, try to develop a strategy to gradually change the habits and attitudes that have sabotaged your past efforts. Then go beyond just realizing your challenges - plan how you'll deal with them if you're going to lose weight once and for all.

You're likely to have a relapse sometimes. But instead of giving up completely after a relapse, just start over the next day. Remember, you are planning to change your life. And it won't happen all of a sudden. Stick to a healthy lifestyle, the results are worth it.

Copy Paste of content from the Mayo Clinic site will not work for spamming your e-book in your signature.

Back