weighing yourself ... that can't be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlandflyer

i have seen this statement way too much...
DON'T WEIGH YOURSELF TOO OFTEN... once a week will be all you need.

ok, well here are three consecutive days... same time of day... first thing in the morning.

3 days.jpg

you decide.

Reactions: PLB
I can relate, I sometimes weigh myself every day and I see the same kind of bouncing around. For now I am trying to only weigh once a week.

I'd take the 160 something!

i'm pretty liberal with salt and butter on steamed vegetables, so my guess is that the day before i just OD'ed on sodium which made me retain a few more pints of water the next day. it wasn't an anomaly... i recall later in the day i was reading 175, but overnight it just seemed to disappear. just trying to point out that if you only weigh yourself once a week and you hit a bad day, it could be very discouraging.

when i was dropping weight, i recorded 3-4 weigh-ins/ day. some up, some down, but it was so easy to see the general downward trend over the period of a week or a month.

currently i'm sure the 168/ 169 readings are the more accurate. for anyone trying to lose weight who is already recording a healthy BMI, good luck with that. after hitting 24, not that i'm pushing the envelope, but i'm barely seeing 1-2 lbs / month now, but, hey... anything down beats anything up.

Last edited:
I've lost a total of 135 lbs. Most of it has been in the last 10 months.

I weigh every day, but I don't freak over 5 lbs. up or down at any one time. Weighing every day however helps me keep track of a trend. If I am trending higher for more than about 3 days I change my diet. I might fast 48 hours with a great clean out meal afterward like a big plate of lightly sautéed spinach and a can of sardines for all I eat that second day. That usually gets me right back on track.

Yes, it's bit confusing to rely on. It happens to me as well, but now I weigh myself once in a week or once in two weeks.

I weigh once per week for that exact reason. Weight can vary with physical volume intake and water retention or dehydration. Sometimes through the week the curiosity feels like it’s eating me alive, but I used to weigh every day and found I have a tendency to beat myself up and then sabotage my progress if I see I didn’t lose or god forbid GAINED on a given day lol... weighing once per week is better for my mental health :rotflmao:

The best way to weight myself is to do it:
- one day after my menstruation (my body got rid of water accumulated before menstruation);
- and in the middle of my menstrual cycle
So I weight myself once per two weeks. I think it gives me the best results, and I can easily control my weight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back