Ways to reduce anxiety, panic attacks, depression?

Hi all. I thought I'd share a recent wellness related story.
I've been the victim of panic attacks, depression ,etc. on and off for the past 5 years now. Prescriptions have helped but I try not to overuse them for fear of side effects. My worst fear was public interaction and I found myself constantly worrying about death. This led me into depression. Besides yoga, regualr exercise and a healthy diet, one way I have overcame these issues was by facing my fears head on getting involved in training to save lives. I took a CPR Training course at EmergencyUniversity and since then, my confidence has risen and my depression has decreased. Does anyone else have a success story about how you overcame battles with depression or panic attacks? If so, please share.
Mike

Not me.

But where there's a problem, there's always a solution. Hang in there ;)

Good for you for taking that CPR course. That's awesome. Sounds like it was good for both you and those you may help down the road. :)

They say exercise is as effective for depression as most medications. Some recent study showed that...according to my husband. 'Course, it's a shame that depression saps all of your confidence and energy, which is often what you need to get going with exercise. In fact, a lot of confident and energentic, non-depressed people still find it hard to exercise!

So if you're able to stick to a fitness regime of some description, you're probably doing yourself a world of good.

unhappy

i havent been happy since i was about 10 so over 9 years. i dont have much direction for the future as am unemployed and poor academically. thinking of going back to college this year. very lonely as spent alot of time alone and have few if any friends.My shyness and lack of contact makes it v.difficult to change this. most of my thoughts revolve around training at home which is pretty sad.

Hi all. I thought I'd share a recent wellness related story.
I've been the victim of panic attacks, depression ,etc. on and off for the past 5 years now. Prescriptions have helped but I try not to overuse them for fear of side effects. My worst fear was public interaction and I found myself constantly worrying about death. This led me into depression. Besides yoga, regualr exercise and a healthy diet, one way I have overcame these issues was by facing my fears head on getting involved in training to save lives. I took a CPR Training course at EmergencyUniversity and since then, my confidence has risen and my depression has decreased. Does anyone else have a success story about how you overcame battles with depression or panic attacks? If so, please share.
Mike

Personally, no.

I have a friend (that I have known for years) that is going through a bit of depression, and I am an extension of him, and will walk through hot coals and fire to help him. He has had my back many times as a police officer, and went with me to Iraq in 1990. He has been my friend when times were tough and when they were good, and I have his back now.

I will post how it turns out.

Best wishes

Chillen

Best thing to do would be to talk to charities. they are really really nice and understanding. They know that it can be very difficult to pick up the phone and dial a number.
many people put off making calls as they feel embarrised and they spend too much time trying to think about what to say, but these people know just what you want to say and will help you.

If your in the states im sure you have simular sites.
Good luck

p.s. here are some forums for phobias and anxiety issues. im sure the modorators wont mind me posting the links.

A person's brain consists of 10 billion neurons, which connect and network with one another to regulate bodily function, thought, and emotion. The brain controls everything in one's body. The brain interacts with itself via neurotransmitters, and it's this interaction that is key to understanding anxiety.
Consult with a doctor and get a complete physical - Information is the key to beginning any systematic treatment program. A person equipped with the right knowledge, concerning her health, diet, medical condition, etc. will be best positioned to conquer anxiety.Stop smoking and/or chewing tobacco - Research has proven that tobacco products play a part in reducing a person's health and increasing a person's anxiety.Limit or eliminate the consumption of alcohol and caffeine - Caffeine directly impacts a person's nervous system, and alcohol indirectly affects the nerves, by leaving them in an agitated state.Practice diaphragmatic breathing.

I can't really say much about anxiety but I know for a fact that exercise has elevated my overall mood a LOT. I had post partum depression twice and even struggled just to get back to my normal self for a few years after. Since I've gotten back into the gym, I'm a different person. I can't say that exercise will CURE depression, but I'm certain that it helps.

Hello,
Firstly sorry about my wrong english... I am 35, I was diagnosed 7 months ago with bipolar disorder (maniac depression) but I dont have an exact diagnosis because I have not been strong enough to go back to my therapist. My brother also has bipolar, his illness is serious. He takes a lot of medicines, he cannot work, he cannot live a „normal” life. And I was frightened. I have a good job, some hobbies and fewer friends. I have lost some already, sometimes I feel really lonely. Sometimes I like it...
I did not want to take medicine. I tried to find alternatives: fitness, yoga, pilates and they can help a lot! Any kind of sport can help surely. I can advise them for everybody. Recently I go to the gym 3 times a week. I really enjoy it, I have new goals, new experiences, my personal trainer is a great "therapist" :) I feel better and better.
Yes, I want to believe that my bipolar is not a disaster for me but it is my way to learn something about myself and the world and I am the only one who can walk on my own way. It is my challenge. And I try to use my energy sensibly. (When I have energy, I have more than enough. :) )
Another offer: a film: „What the bleep do we know?” I like it. It helps.

When i get depressed or being stuck in a situation that makes me uncomfortable, i used to breathe deeply. I think positively and try to look the bright side on that moment.

I personally haven’t had to deal with depression or anxiety but I regularly deal with people who do and I would like to say congratulations on being proactive and working to improve your conditions. I know of people who rely on medication to tread minor depression. Exercise is the best medicine and will benefit your mind and body. I usually suggest training for some type of competition such as a 10k, marathon or triathlon.

Here I like to shared my experience. When I suffered a lot because of stress my friend advised me to try hypnosis and suggest me thoughtsbecomereality.co.uk. They helped me to control my stress through hypnotherapy and various NLP techniques.

Back