Ultimate Fighter...octagon match!!!

Hey guys,

I just heard that the final ultimate fighter show is going to be aired
live on cable tv this Saturday (on Spike, not ppv!) which means it´ll
be freeeee. Three matches are suppose to go down, two for the
middleweight and light heavyweight championships, and one more with
SHAMROCK, "the world´s most dangerous man". I´ve seen him fight once
before (i think it was on the ultimate knockouts video) and he´s pretty
brutal. Any1 else been following the matches?

pd

That show is on too late for me to watch.

It's a shame that the UFC hasn't become a larger sport media-wise. A championship game at 12:00 midnight? Hey, at least it's not on PPV.

I've been reading lately about how UFC promoters are hoping that the declining popularity of boxing is going to lead to the rise of the UFC. I'd welcome it - I personally think "open fighting" - any style, any attacks (with a few restrictions, of course) - is much more interesting than seeing two guys slug it out.

I wish it didn't come down to their ground game so much though.

Unfortunately in MMA fights the ground is where its at bro. If you can't grapple/defend against a grappler, your set up to lose. The Gracie version of Ju-Jitsu (I'm no expert, either the Gracies invented Brazillian Ju Jitsu or modified it) is so deadly as a submission art, everyone is learning it for the cage. Pure strikers really don't stand a chance anymore.

Did you ever watch any of the old Pride Fighting fights? Those were great!

There was a documentary made about one of the guys that started in UFC and went to PFC. I believe it was named "The Smashing Machine" or something like that. IF you can find it, check it out. It shows some pride footage.

best reality show on TV. i have been following the show for a while now but i did miss a bunch of the early episodes. i am so glad you told me its on spike, i was pissed when i thought i couldn't watch it or i could watch it if i wanted to pay $50 (probebly)
i don't have a problem with ground fights, it makes it more real. its an actual fight you know? and plus i have seen some great **** happen on the ground. if all you want is standup fighting then watch boxing

I love MMA. I'm considering starting some BJJ training and in a few years working some fights. Back on topic though...

The show tomorrow night is the finale of the reality show The Ultimate Fighter. They picked 18 (I think) of the top fighters in the country and took them to Vegas where the'd compete for UFC contracts, 1 Middleweight and 1 Light Heavyweight will come out with the contracts. Tomorrow night Deigo Sanchez will fight Kenny Florian for the middleweight (in what will be a pretty one sided contest for Sanchez) and Forrest Griffin will fight Stephan Bonnar (in what will be a great brawl). Ken Shamrock will fight Rich Frankling (and Shamrock will probably lose in a close fight). Sadly I'm more interested in seeing the undercard which won't be shown.

Aevans, I'm not throughly versed in the art of BJJ, but I'm pretty sure the Gracies' biggest role was spreading it and making it into the successful martial art that it is. Because one of the Gracies was the original promoter of the UFC. When another of the Gracies was dominating the UFC people took note of his BJJ and wanted to learn it themselves.

As for the fights themselves, a good standup brawl can be entertaining as hell, but nothing compares to seeing two men go at it on the ground. Holds, chokes, punches, elbows, counters, joint locks, bones breaking, blood spattering it really is a beautiful sight if you are into physical sports like I am.

If you are looking to get a brutal fight, Tim Silvia vs. Frank Mir, where Silvia got his forearm broken. He was in an armbar and refused to tap and BAM his arm just snapped. The camera was in perfect position as we could actually see the bone break, it's among the most brutal things I've ever seen.

The Forrest Griffin, Stephan Bonnar was one of the best fights i can remember. those guys gave everything they had and it was shown in the first round. after round 1 i couldn't believe the fight they had so far and it only got better.
i really hope this pushes UFC into a spotlight, they deserve more attention than they get. the first fight i think everyone knew who was going to win. the shamrock fight kinda sucked, i honestly think Ken would have won if not for that screwup but a loss is a loss anyone could have slipped.
all i want is to see a rematch of Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar. it will be a war and if they go more than 3 rounds who knows what could happen. i thought it should have gone to a next round itwas too close to call.

We got it over in the UK a few days after it happened in the US. One of our channels called Bravo was following the series. I'm glad they gave Bonnar a contract as well because that fight really was too close to call, and I thought it was actually better than a lot of the professional UFC fights.
I was disappointed by Shamrock, he fell twice in a short space of time with the 2nd fall costing him the fight. I would expect a legend like him to be better at keeping on his feet.

I caught the last little bit of that Silvia vs. Mir fight where they were showing the slow-motion replay of his arm snapping. That made me cringe, but I still wish I could've seen the whole fight.
Anyone see that fight where some guy had a gillotine choke on his opponent whilst standing?! He was completely off the ground and hanging onto the guy's back whilst choking him. That was a UFC first, but I can't remember who the fighters were.

Anyone heard of Cage Rage? It's similar to UFC, and takes place in an octagon cage but it's staged in the UK and has fighters from around the world, (although mainly from the UK). Some of those fights are pretty brutal. There was one really famous fight where the guy kicked his opponent's thigh but the kick actually snapped his own leg in half part way down the shin! (You could hear it snap as well). He didn't notice, and so went to stand on it to balance himself and it just folded underneath him and he fell. He was in agony, and it looked disgusting.
Another good fight was a guy from the UK facing a coloured guy from the US. The US guy knocked him out in one of the best knockouts in the history of MMA. He knocked him completley out, and he fell backwards flat onto his back with his head bent against the cage and eyes really wide. That was scary.

there's hardly any knowledge of the ufc over in the UK - almost no-one even knows of it's existance..

i do however know a guy who's moving to the US this year to train under the gracie's - so good luck to him!

i agree. maybe it's because it's only shown on digital channels and even then it's only on at like 1am - 2am. I only know of one British fighter in the UFC and that's Ian Freeman.

Just want to say ju jitsu is cool, but WTF!?! If you cannot hold your own on your feet. Your done. The matches start on your feet, so i think mastering standing position is key. I have been a wrestler for 5 years and have fought a ju jitsu specialized fighter. Needless to say, I wooped him. I think the best mix would be boxer/kickboxer/wrestler. I know the boxer/kickboxer part would cause some question between people, but they have completely different forms of punching.

I've been following UFC for quite some time and The Ultimate Fighter (Since it aired last season and looking forward to the new season coming soon). I am personally a little dissatisfied with how the UFC has changed directions as of the last two or three years. They've softened up the sport and move too far into the wrestling aspect of it. In the heavyweight class, you have more of an all out "ass whooping", but even still, it's as though they're afraid someone is going to get hurt! I mean, is it just me, or does anyone else notice the irony of it? "Ultimate" Fighting Championship.?.?. I realize that there are quite a few liabilities envolved with it and they don't *want* people to be seriously hurt, but at the same time, they shouldn't advertise it as one of the most intense fighting sports out there, when they've softened it up. I mean, look at most fights, after about 6 consecutive hits to the face, the fight is stopped. I just think they should let it go a little more.
And on another rant (Sorry), what is up with Dana giving almost all of the contestants of The Ultimate Fighter, contacts to the UFC? Obviously, they didn't make it to the main goal, which was to win one of the two six figure contracts, yet after the final episode, we find that all of them have been brought in. Some of them weren't brought in, but I believe some that were, should never have been brought in at all. I just think it's rediculous. I don't see the point in having a show like that and then turning around and giving them all contacts. Oh well though, I'll continue watching!

GianniRoses said:
Just want to say ju jitsu is cool, but WTF!?! If you cannot hold your own on your feet. Your done. The matches start on your feet, so i think mastering standing position is key. I have been a wrestler for 5 years and have fought a ju jitsu specialized fighter. Needless to say, I wooped him. I think the best mix would be boxer/kickboxer/wrestler. I know the boxer/kickboxer part would cause some question between people, but they have completely different forms of punching.
I don't quite get where you are coming from on this? "Ju Jitsu is cool, but WTF!?! If you cannot hold your own on your feet. Your done. The matches start on your feet, so I think mastering standing position is key.", uh, what? Total contradiction at it's best there buddy. and no offense, but I highly doubt you "wooped" anyone who was specialized in ju jitsu, not after having only wrestled for 5yrs. I wrestled all throughout highschool and when I joined the Marine Corps, one of our close unarmed combat instructors was a skilled ju jitsu fighter (Ironically enough he trained in Malaysia, which is MUCH different than training in the US). There was no way in hell I would have been able to take him. But why talk about holding your own, then go into talking about wrestling and all. Wrestling is a mat sport, not a standing sport.

Hahhahaa, well it is true what he said in the second point. A good fighter is a flexible one. I want to add more but I need to get some things in order first. Don't let me forget about this thread!

I can agree with that to a point, but you have to remember that the gloves they have on are not boxing gloves. Tharefore getting punched in the head repeatetivly will kill someone if its not stoped. So it needs to be stoped before deth or serious injury. But your right it has softened up since the early days of ufc. no headbutting no knees to downed person etc. but ufc has come a long way as far as the fighters go. everyone is a mixed martial artest. Not just showcaceing thare style and getting thare asses kicked buy a gracy lol....Defenitly the most respected sport around ... :D

oops i replyed to late but you get my point......o ya and who sed a wrestler could put the whoopin on a jj specialest :eek: :rolleyes: haha thats funny

I don't buy into style supremacy. To do so would just be holding yourself back and in a sense, is like putting yourself in a high chair waiting to be spoonfed by mommy. The gracies didn't buy into style supremacy, which is why they studied so many other styles and things of this nature to further their art. In this sense, it is effective, but it is in no way 100% effective. None of the styles are. But the point is if they bought into their own bull****, they would be with all the other full egos of martial arts-- mediocrity.

Back