Twisted With Repeated Severe Lower Back Pain

Hi I am looking for some guidance with this issue.

I am a 43 yr old male, fairly athletic and have bodybuilt/lifted weights for almost all my life. I don't smoke and hardly drink and eat pretty well.

15 years ago I damaged something in my lower back whilst squatting in the gym. I felt a sudden very sharp pain at the bottom of the squat, after that I was in agony with spasms for 4-5 days. My doctor gave me an injection to relieve the pain at the time and told me to take it easy with it.

Since then the problem re-occurs sometimes after I exercise, I even set it off after walking a long distance one day. I have probably had around ten episodes of it happening over the years - including right now.

This is the area of the pain:

Every time is the same, I get intense pain and stiffness for 4-5 days. I am also twisted for this time - if you look at me front-on my body kinks to the side from the waist area.

The stiffness means I am kind of ok when sitting but when I get up the area is incredibly stiff and inflexible as I stand upright. Once upright I find it very painful to raise a leg or walk, then sitting again hurts a little until it adapts. Warming or massaging the area temporarily helps.

This pretty much puts me out of action completely for the 4-5 days.

I have read some info on the area but I am really not sure if it is the Thoracolumbar Fascia or something else. I have definitely weakened something here as it keeps happening, or could it be scar tissue around the area? How could I tell if this is the case?

I would love to know how to strengthen this area up again and prevent this from happening. Thanks in advance.

Just to be cover all bases...you sure the doctors have ruled out any disc pathology?

Back