Trying to gain muscle for baseball, no fat though.

Hi everyone,

First time poster! I'm a 16 year old High School Student who played JV baseball last year and want to make varsity this season. I'm a contact hitter so hitting the ball is not a problem, but I want to increase bat speed and hitting power with core explosiveness and some upper body work. Our coach always keeps us in shape with long runs, but I'd still like to bring down my body fat % as well.

Would a high protein diet work for what I'm going for? I've been doing basic pull-ups as well as clap push-ups, but I want more mass, would bench press work for this?

Also, I've been doing planks and leg lifts for core strength, but I don't think that build much explosiveness, are there any better core excersises for this?

Pics below, on another note, is flexing you abs to get more definition normal? Do other guys do that?

View attachment 6024View attachment 6025View attachment 6026

Attachments

• 20131113_005804.jpg
    20131113_005804.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 3,085
  • 20131113_005810.jpg
    20131113_005810.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 943
  • 20131113_005819.jpg
    20131113_005819.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 2,324
Last edited:
High protein diet will not increase your muscle mass in the same way as doubling your water intake (muscle is 75% water) wouldn't. Excess protein will either not be absorbed in the first place, converted to lipoproteins (a form of fat) or disposed of as urea along with excess water.
Having a little more protein in your diet than you need is fine but many go way overboard here. Percentage of calorific intake for the average person are below. These are guildelines but remember the more exercise you do the more energy you need to train, recover and ideally grow so you will need carbs and fats for this too.
Carbohydrates 60 - 65% (5% or less sugars 95% or more starch)
Lipids (fats and oils) 25%
Protein 17.5%

Gaining weight without fat. Good luck with that especially at your age. Growth requires a calorific excess and your body will be burning energy at such varying rates due to pubescence it will be virtually impossible to gauge what you need closely enough to gain mass and lose bodyfat.
If your main priority is performance and power accept a bit of excess gain and stick with functuional training. You can't do full on power training without risk at your age, due ot bones not having fully fused, sorry that's the truth. But you can do things that will enable you to bulk up and gain strength http://training.fitness.com/young-athlete-development/young-athlete-development-program-50627.html contains details from Goldfish, who is one of the most knowledgable on generic training here. The advantage to generic training is it works for virtually everyone so his stuff will be among the best you can follow.
Uneven training is a risk form what you are currently doing. Everything is upper body and that won't give you the exposive power you want. Most muscle mass is core and down so don't neglect the legs.

Clean bulk? Impossible it is not, but try hard you must.

Honestly, gain some fat. Lift heavy and eat heavy for a few months. Make some good gains and a couple months before the season starts, go on a cut and keep lifting heavy. I played for 15 years. Deads, high pulls, dumb bell pull overs and rows are going to be your friend for baseball. Good swings come from strong backs.

Thanks alot for the info guys, really enlightened me! So I'll go for gains and strength first, then condition and functional training as the season approaches.

Wooduyb21, I can only assume that you are being sarcastic using the :rollingeyes in your comment, which seems to be your moniker thus far in your posting. Is it not a good idea to bulk in the winter and cut for the summer? Because I'm pretty sure that's what just about every body builder who's ever lived has done.

Get the impression this character and Robert0, along with a few others have become the sites pet trolls. Best ignored considering they have made no positive contribution in any way and are likely all one person who is helping keep Kleenex in business.

I tend to try using simple statements that others follow to get a full understanding of.
I remember when there was a call for me a few years ago and I was in the middle of managing a crisis. I told the guy I would call him back as we had a bit of a brown fan moment going on. When I called him back he was still amused and far from being annoyed at me postponing a planned call was just happy to have a new clean phrase to mean something less clean.

Back