Training for surfing

Hi, I've been bodybuilding for looks and the feeling for 4 years now with no massive success but people do comment and it's changed my life.

I recently went surfing in Madagascar and although I was impressed with my fitness I want to take it further.

As my girlfriend puts it 'You've got all these muscles but they don't actually work'; I get tired fairly easily I thought, until I surfed and didn't ache unlike the others. So I want to develop:

- core stability (mostly)
- more endurable strength
- muscles that are used in surfing
- flexibility
- stamina

; all the things you don't focus on in bodybuilding. I need to learn how to do a differnt kind of training (`real` training), while I know how to lifting heavy I'd like to adapt this knowledge to more useful strength.

I may also try to build a little mass at the same time because it's fun.

So,

- can you recommend a book aimed at sports people

- core stability exercises that make you puff; I enjoy lifting wieghts but i'll give pilates etc a go if it really works

- leg flexibility

Thanks for any pointers

Training for surfing tips

Hey buddy.

I surf, played college basketball and I also do weight training. What I have found to be a good combination of weight and endurance training is something boxers have been doing for many years. It's called plyometrics. You've probably heard this before, but what it does is make your muscles more "elastic" which gives you maximum power at maximum speeds. A good complement to this is regular Cardio exercise, biking (stationary or regular), basketball, and most importantly, STRETCHING before, during and after all these exercises. Here are a couple of links I think you'll find useful:

Good luck!

Back