Training for 800m -- is this condsidered H.i.i.t?

My ususal H.i.i.t routine is sprinting for 20sec, then jog for 10s. I try to do this for 12-15 min.

Anyway, now I'm on the Track & Field team and am training for 800m. THe actual run is 3min of intense running. Now here are some of my training routines (I do only 1 a day):

1. The Kiptotich II:
Run 2 x (4 x 1000), i.e., complete two sets, with four 1000-metre intervals per set. Take two minutes of rest between 1000-metre reps and 10 minutes between sets. The key to this workout, however, is to run the first 800 metres of each 1000-metre rep at slower than race pace and the final 200 metres at or slightly faster than race pace. Used with great success by Nixon Kiprotich, this session helps you avoid fade-outs towards the ends of your 800-metre races, or - to put it another way - makes you the kind of 800-metre runner who powers past other competitors in the closing stages of the race.

^takes about an hour for me to do.

2. THE KIPROTICH I: Run 8 x 200 metres at your current 800-metre race pace, with just 10 metres of jog recovery between intervals. Used often by Kenya's great 800-metre man, Nixon Kiprotich (1:43:31 PR, Olympic silver medalist, two-time winner of the IAAF/Mobil Grand Prix, and number-one 800-metre runner in the world in 1993), this workout helps optimize 'speed endurance' - the ability to sustain a fast speed throughout the race. It also increases efficiency at 800-metre velocity, improves confidence, enhances your ability to come from behind during the race, and allows you to relax even while running powerfully.

^ takes about 10 min.

WOuld the first one qualify as HIIT? Or is it too long?

Thanks in advance.

Back