thinking of starting boxing

i just started lifting weights and changing my diet etc, and at the same time my interest in boxing and kickboxing has grown due to programs like The Contender, Ultimate Fighter and UFC.

I'm considering joining a boxing or kickboxing club in my local area, but there's a few things I'd like to know first.
Firstly, I don't fancy fighting in competitions and trying to win medals and prizes, I'd rather just do it as a way to keep fit, have fun and fight people within my club and other clubs. Is it possible to do this or are coaches going to expect you to fight in competitions?

Also, (this my sound lame to people who do martial arts), are there any rules as far as punching and kicking to the nose is concerned? The reason I ask is because it's a really sensitive part of the face and I really don't wanna walk away from every fight with an injured nose. What are the rules or guidelines in terms of this (for boxing and kickboxing)? I noticed it doesn't seem to happen very often.

Um...my karate coach didnt insist that we go to tournaments but he did kinda push the idea...(not trying to be an ass or anything) but watching tv or gettin it off games just dosnt cut it....thats why so many people start boxing or martial arts...becasue they think theyll just get to get up there and fight....games and stuff like that only show the "glory" of it...they dont show the work and pain it takes to get there lol. Thats why so any people quit..so if you start anything dont expect it to be fun....expect to work hard and do some things that will get boring after a while....but IF you stick with it...I would say ya...go for it....anything like that will get better as time goes on...hope this helps at all....

I agree with what you're saying but just to let you, I know what goes on behind the scenes and I know it's hard work. The main reason I'd be doing it is to keep fit, but in more "fun" way than just hitting a pad at home. But thanks for the advice.

Jonny.

Yes, you can get hit in the nose, there are no rules against it.

Consider this. Most fighters at a club never get paid to fight. A lot of boxers are content to spar in a controlled environment using full protective gear.

For martial arts, there are definitely rules against it depending on your rank. In most tournaments, any kumite match with a 3rd KYU and below ranking, face contact is not allowed. It is allowed in higher KYU and DAN (black belt) ranks because by that time, you shouldn't be getting hit in the face :).

see my post in your other thread. I forgot.......you can do points sparring at competitions which is when contact is made..the fight is stopped and points are given. It requires you to be very fast. If your coach offers you a continous fight...refuse and ask for a points one.

hey johny, i started taking boxing about 3 yrs ago just so that i could spar with my friend :-D and the 1st 3 times i spared with him he made my nose bleed the 3rd time it was both nostrils my coach sed i shouldnt spar anymore, but i did anyways i kicked my friends ass.. and my nose never bled again :-D anyways i used to weigh 160 lbs at 5'6 now im 130 at 5'9 so it def. helped me lose weight. you can just tell your coach that you just want to do it for the excerise and im sure he wont expect you to fight anyone :-D the best part of boxing is when ur hitting a heavy bag with ur favorite music blasting you get a surge of adrenaline i like to call going super sayan :-D
so i def advise you to take boxing, its a great tool to get in shape, and its a lot of fun!

^^^That's awesome!! Watching Dragon Ball Z is what got me interested in Martial Arts, and fighting in general. I box sometimes just because it gets my adrenaline flowing. Sometimes I wish I could use a Kamehameha on my sparring partner, or turn Super Saiyan and really kick his ass!

Sorry to get off the subject.

Hahahaha, are you guys serious? I used to love DBZ insanely. It is also what got me into fighting primarily and martial arts as a means.

Dragon Ball Z is what's wrong with long-running anime. Every episode is someone powering up. As soon as someone unleashes "the ultimate attack", someone else has an even more powerful "ultimate attack".

Give me a good Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, or Full Metal Alchemist anyday. It's a shame that Naruto is following in DBZ's path.

Totally. But DBZ is a great starting off point to the world of anime, as you can see from anime making a huge impact in America (which started from pretty much lame shows like DBZ and Pokemon).

OMG DA PLANET IS GONNA EXPLODE IN LEIK 5 MIN!!!!!111
*18 eps later*
ONLI TO MINS LEFT UR DED HAHHAHAHHA
*flashback*

Back