The New Years Resolution so far....

As decided, I quit smoking on New Years, and haven't looked back since not a craving not a thought about having a cigarette... Any how as quiting smoking goes, I didn't want to jump right into 'anything', i thought i'd give my lungs time to relax to start full on running.... so, my question is, have my lungs had time enough to recoup where I can begin running (jogging... whatever)?

After a week of jogging, provided I follow my plan and keep with it i'll begin weight training

me <<<------ scrawny white boy

I'll need some advice on this when i get to that point.

I gave up making new years resolutions 2yrs ago, Im finding it hard but Im trying to stick with it!!!

Congrats on Kicking the habbit. Im an EX-smoker, I know how hard it is. I still crave cigeretts 2years on.

The best time fore you to start running is yesterday.

Okay so take it easy, but there is no time period you gotta wait. Lots of smokers run.

Get a heart rate moniter if you can and find out your max pulse rate 220-your age in years.

i.e. im 21 my max pule rate is 199.
start off jogging at a speed which brings you to a steady 140bpm (bpm=beats per min)

do that for 5mins
If you feel up to it go to 150 for 5, etc...

Note where you got really worn out, thats your target from now on.
Your goal for the next 4weeks is to see how long you can stay at that heart rate. if its 5, 10, 20mins.

Post back here or PM me in 4weeks to tell us how you did. Then we'll talk about HIIT

What's HIIT, give me some computer lingo, but i don't know health lingo.
BTW, I don't need the Heart Rate measurer right now do I? isn't 30minutes enough, or should it be 45 for running?

Last edited:
High Intensity Interval Training.

Basically you sprint then jog, sprint then jog.

But dont worry about that for now, you got some work to do.

There is a whole forum on HIIT here if you wanna read up.

I quit smoking and started running on the same day. It has actually helped keep me motivated. I just think to myself, I quit smoking, so I can do the other. And vice-versa. Good Luck to ya.

Running

I just completed my first 30 minute job, I covered approximately 4 miles, a little more i think, but mapquest says 4.

7.5minute miles suck :mad:

Dude If it was in miles then that is fantastic for some one who doesnt offen run.

At my gym there is a competition to run the fastest mile.

I got 8mins - the leader got 5.54. So for you to get 7.5over 4miles would be very unlikely. Are you sure it wasnt in kilometers?

That would make 12min miles. But thats still very very good going. Most people that dont run offen would be much slower than that.

it's in miles, because i ran 2 miles out and ran 2 miles back

6 minute miles was what i was doing in the Air Force and in High School, so i'm capable of doing 6 minute miles again

In which case congrats. Thats a great time.
In your 1st few post you made it sound like you were completly new to running.

I did track in HS but I wasn't attentive to what I should have been doing.

I'm majorly sore from little run yesterday, I may have overdid it

Giving up smoking is really, really hard! I quit last November - on the same day I joined the gym actually. I must admit that I slipped a few times over Christmas and succumbed tot he evil weed but, thats because I wasn't training much and drinking a lot. Haven't touched one for 4 weeks now but I imagine it will be a battle for years to come. I can do it though, fitness means more to me now. I believe the saying goes "sacrifice is giving up something good for something better."

I salute anyone making the effort to quit - good luck :)

Back