The Fat Loss Troubleshoot Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fat Loss Troubleshoot Guide

I must get this question a few times a day. “I am doing everything right but the weight isn’t coming off, why?” So would I be a huge jerk if I said that 99% of the time the answer is “no, you are most likely not doing everything right”. Yeah I would be a big jerk, that is if I didn’t tell you why, and tell you that just with a little alteration here and there all your hard work will pay off. Most trainers don’t mind their clients coming in day after day with little progress cause to them that’s more money in the bank. I on the other hand take it to heart; I don’t want people feeling like they are giving it all they got and not getting anything in return.

Now maybe you aren’t doing everything right, that doesn’t mean you aren’t trying. It is a difference between ignoring the problem and just not understanding how to fix the problem. It is much like the troubleshoot process for fixing some complex electronic device. This is your fat loss troubleshoot guide.

Problem one-Calorie counting

Now whoever started the whole “you don’t need to count calories to lose weight” thing really wasn’t guiding to the average joe. Why? Because people don’t understand what is in their food and everyone is different. Telling a 300-pound man to eat a chicken breast the size of his palm is going to starve that man. Not to mention how you prepare that chicken is just as important. You can’t lose fat without being in a caloric deficit; it is as simple as that. You have to take in less than what you need but within a sane reasoning. You take in to little and you store, you take in to much and you store. It’s daunting I know it is, however the simple way of attacking this is by counting the calories you consume the best you can. “Guesstimating” is a trainer’s worst nightmare. Let’s look at an example shall we.

Woman 1 needs 2500 calories to stay at her weight on her current work/exercise program. So to lose fat she needs to eat around 2000 calories to lose roughly 1lb a week. She stops eating junk food and starts eating more healthy meals. Salads, rice, lean meats… the works. She basically cooks for herself and with most of her meals she guesses the amount roughly and the calories roughly for what she thinks they are. Everyday she reaches her goal in her mind of 2000 calories. Now let’s see how her being off can affect her.

At the end of week one though she thinks she has hit 2000 calories everyday she actually hit 2250 calories on average everyday. If the goal was to deduct 500 everyday at the end of the week we get 3,500 negative calories. 3,500 calories makes a pound. If we do the numbers for what she actually ate she really reached 1,910 negative calories, this is barely half a pound. So at the end of that whole week of hard work to herself and discipline she got no results and starts to get frustrated. A few weeks follow with maybe 1lb lose but still no real results and she decided to give up because it just isn’t working for her.

What happened, where did she go wrong? Well she didn’t measure that light mayo with the actual tablespoons she just scooped it out with a knife, but she knows an actual tbsp is pretty big so no way that is wrong. Well now everyday she had that she was off by 45 calories of fat. 45x7 equals 315 calories. Then she had a cheat meal because she is allowed one, but she counted it as being 800 calories. In reality it was 1300 calories. 1300-800=500 calories. Then at night before bed she did some snacking but it was all healthy food and not a lot of it. She didn’t feel the need to account for that small amount. Well that was 25 calories each time. 25x7= 175 calories. Then with some of her meals it may have been off here and there but only by 40-50 calories at the most. At the end of the week though she was off by 600 calories all together with her meals combined.

At the end of just this one week she meant to have a deficit of 3,500 calories, however we have to deduct the 1,590 calories from that and we reaching 1,910 calories that she is actually negative. With that small of a deficit it will take her forever to reach her goal and she is more than likely to give up on herself before she does, and who could blame her? No one wants to work so hard to achieve nothing? If she just would have taken the time to really measure her food and understand exactly what was going in, she would have achieved the results. So the next time you guesstimate how much you are eating, think twice, it can add up on you.

Problem Two-Cheat meals

Why are cheat meals important? They provide some sanity with all that clean eating. They can help you from feeling like you are going crazy when you go from eating whatever you want when you desire to restricting yourself. Also they keep the system guessing and that’s never a bad thing as the body adapts even to healthy food and calories.

Do you have to have them? No

The problem though that comes with cheat meals is usually in two parts. First being that some find it like being in AA, like taking that first bite leads to falling off the wagon into a binge. If you find you are having that problem then the best thing you can do is to basically lighten up a little. Its only food, don’t think about it so much. Remind yourself that you have your goals to achieve, but that also you will allow yourself to live. Most people put so much pressure on themselves in the beginning that they fail to just let healthy eating become routine. Once that occurs, you hardly ever think about cheating.

The 2nd problem comes in with portions of cheat meals. See you can have a cheat meal, however you still have to stick within your calories for that day. So have a slice of pizza, but just know that the price of that is maybe that slice is one of your meals for the day. If you goal for a day is 2000 calories, then that cheat meal needs to fit within that goal. You will find that you start not wanting a cheat meal because of how much food you can eat when you don’t compared to when you do.

Problem Three-Eating Out

Who doesn’t love restaurants and good food. I know I do, however when I am cutting the last thing I do is go to a restaurant unless it’s for a special occasion or the rare ones that make staying within my plans easy. I looked over a chart for someone once who was stuck at her weight for 2 months. I told her to write down for 3 weeks everything she had eaten with complete honesty. 4 times a week she ate at a restaurant. One was a “cheat meal” the others were things she thought were healthy choices. Salads, whole wheat sandwiches, fish. However when she judges her calories for those meals she guessed and was so off that every week she was basically landing even. And that was just the places we could actually check for exact figures. From then on out she was packing the goods and lost the weight. Just try and think if those times of eating out for 1 hour are worth the day in and day out of you busting your but at the gym. Remember it’s not like this forever, when you get to the point of staying at your weight those visits can become more often when exercising to maintain weight. But this is crunch time, it is a time of degrees of sacrifice. Make it matter to you and don’t leave your body in the hands of sweating and greasy chef’s.

Problem Four-Wrong foods at the wrong time

You may think that choosing a salad for lunch is the smart thing to do, but actually its not. Now of course if you are eating out, it’s the best choice by far. Why is salad not a good choice for lunch? It will leave you hungry for the rest of the day. You need real solid carbs early on or else when 10pm rolls around you are stuffing your face with whatever you can find and usually what you find late at night or more so crave is carbs. So make sure to get the right foods in at the right times. Let’s rewind what that is…

Meal 1-Pro-Carb (simple/complex)
Meal 2-Pro-Carb (simple/complex)
Meal 3-Pro-Carb (simple/complex)
Meal 4-Pro-Fat-Carb (veggie)
Meal 5-Pro-Fat-Carb (veggie)

Sticking to that formula is your best chance to keep the fat store at bay.

Problem Five-Cheating your workout

This is our last one and it’s pretty simple. After your workout, after every time you go at it, ask yourself if you gave it everything you got. You will know if you did or not, you will know if you went to that place that you almost surprised yourself that you could go there. I always feel like that I would rather spend those 30 mins giving it everything I got and feeling satisfied then going half ****ed and wasting my own time. Does it have to be all or nothing all the time? No. Is some work better than none? Yes. The trick of it is though less effort, less results.

So go over this troubleshoot. If you are doing any or all of these things then do the following.

-Tighten up your efforts and really give it all you got.
-Lighten up on your lack of results, work a little harder and they will really
come.
-Get more organized. Most people fall into problems simply from lack of good time management.
-Most important remember this. Sometimes its takes years to put that weight on, so give it some time to take it back off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back