Weight-Loss The Exercise Club

Weight-Loss
Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmGoingToTri

Time to stop dreaming about how much work you could do, and let's start actually doing it! In this thread I want to gather a group of people who want to work on the goal of improving their exercise routine, and who want to support others in reaching that goal as well.

I have made a list of tasks that you can do to get you started (feel free to follow this or do it your own way
wink.gif
):

1. Set the goal to exercise more.
2. Believe that you can do it.
3. Write down your dream about how much you would like to exercise and how fit you want to be (in the faaar future)
4. Decide that, in order to get there, you need to first take the first step. Set the goal to increase your exercise routine by a modest amount (like 5-10%) in the coming month. It can be in terms of quantity (distance/time) or quality (new activities, higher intensity).
5. (a) Identify the changes that you can make to get there, most importantly changes in your habits (but perhaps also in your mindset or environment). Add as many things as you like, however, it doesn't have to be an exhaustive list, you can come back to it later (so don't overthink it, and try not to get discouraged by the length of this list; there is always something to improve in life and that is fine, you don't have to do everything (in fact you can't) and you can take your time) (b) order this list by how much of an effect each of the changes will have (from big to small; you could write down an estimate in terms of percentage and/or rated 1 to 5, 1 being a smallest step forward, 5 being the largest step forward) (c) make another version of the list that you made in step 5a, now ordered by how much effort that you think each takes (you can rate them 1 to 5, 1 being easiest, 5 being hardest).
6. Now pick one change from this list and make a realistic strategy to make it.
7. Start working on it and don't stop until it is second nature.
8. Keep us posted. Reward yourself for little steps forward (you could decide your rewards in advance).
9. When you are done (after a few weeks or months), celebrate (!!!) and go back to step 5.

---

Let's start... after mentally going through the first steps, I have arrived at step 5 and I have made the list of changes that I can make to boost my exercise routine. I think what I need is a bit more consistency. Some weeks I exercise a lot, and some weeks just one or two sessions. Now I do 1-5 training sessions per week, and I want to get that to 3-6. In order to do that, I will track my training sessions in an app and in this thread, and I will reward myself for every session that I do. The reward is one euro per training session, that I can spend on buying new exercise equipment.

Let's get started right now!

I welcome everyone to join! I will support you, let's do this together!
smile.gif

I'll join in. I'm currently in a lull of not being in an exercise routine and making excuses that I'm too sore, etc for to not go. I know that even if I am sore there are hundreds of exercises that I can do that won't bother my back or whatever the current ailment is and that I should just go anyway. Better to create a routine and only do 10-15m of exercises than not go at all.

Welcome allcdnboy! Great to have you join! :)

It's a good idea to start with just a few minutes. You can gradually build it up from there.

What exercises do you want to start with? Which exercises take the least amount of frustration/effort (or which ones are the most fulfilling/fun) while still offering you good results? Or, phrased differently, what could be your early win?

An update on how it's going here: So far, I have exercised two times this week. I ran 18 kilometers (10 on Monday and 8 on Tuesday). I also walked around 10-15 kilometers in total. Today I will run another 10 kilometers and tomorrow I will do another 8, which would mean that I would have exercised 4 times this week. So, I expect to reach my target of exercising 3-6 times per week!
I have decided to add another reward: if I exercise 3-6 times in a given week,, my rewards for that week double. So, I get 1 euro for sports equipment per training session, which means that I earn 4 * 1 = 4 euros this week, and I can double that.

I will not keep rewarding myself this generously (otherwise it would get way too expensive in the long run), but it certainly helps to get me started.

I like to start with the major muscle groups ... pushups, squats and deadlifts. Once my body is used to working out again, I start splitting my days into muscle groups.

@allcdnboy - sounds good! I am curious how it will go! I may follow your example when I am ready to incorporate fitness exercises in my routine. Good luck & keep me posted! :)

Here's my summary of this week:

Activities:

Monday: running, 10 kilometers
Tuesday: running, 8 kilometers
Friday: running, 8 kilometers
Saturday: running, 10 kilometers

Stats of the week:
Sessions: 4
Running distance: 36 kilometers
Rewards earned: 8 euros (4 sessions * 2 (modifier for exercising >= 3 times per week))

Totals:
Successful weeks streak: 1 (unbroken chain of weeks that I have managed to train at least 3 times)
Total rewards earned: 8 euros (money that can be spent on outdoor gear and exercise equipment)
Unspent rewards: 8 euros (the total amount of rewards that I have earned minus what I have already spent)

Thoughts
My lower legs are a bit tired, so tomorrow (Sunday) will definitely be a resting day. I am happy about this distance, I do not have the ambition to expand this in the short term. In the long term, when I am also cycling and swimming regularly, I may start increasing this, but that will take at least 3 months. As I have mentioned, my main goal is to develop consistency. Inconsistency has almost always been the main weakness of my exercise routine. 2 years ago I had some months that I was relatively consistent in my exercise routine, and I see this as a major success factor; I was able to make rapid progress in my fitness level and I did my first triathlons. However, due to an injury, I had to take a break and I never developed a good routine again, even when it was completely healed. Consistency makes it easier to motivate yourself to go training (it's a habit, you just do it), it allows you to schedule your activities around your exercise and vice versa (allowing your to manage your time more efficiently) and it causes your body to become fitter over time (and this consistency does not consist of just training, but is balanced with enough rest and proper nutrition).

I plan to keep doing at least 3 training sessions every week (probably 4 or more, but we'll see about that). The coming 2 weeks (week 2 and week 3) I will also run around 36-40 kilometers, but in week 4 (and every fourth week after that) I will cut my training in half, to allow my body to rest. This means that I will still do at least 3 training sessions, but they will be much shorter. I have seen this in professional training schedules, and it makes sense to me, in the first place to prevent injuries, which is something that is very important to me.

I plan to run around 36 kilometers (same as last week) in 3 or 4 runs this week. If I manage to finish my work on time, I hope to do the first 12 tonight.

I had a resting day yesterday (although I walked around 6 kilometers) and now my muscles feel strong again, so I am ready to start this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back